03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

2008 Throwout bearing frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Throwout bearing frustrations

So here's the story.

Purchased a used 2008 Taco 6 speed in 2012 with a little more than 30K miles on it. Spring of 2013 we start hearing squealing from the clutch area. Do some research and it looks like there is a TSB so we bring it in. It should be under warranty but it turns out the clutch has been replaced with an aftermarket part by the PO. Paid out of pocket but they did the TSB and we got the new improved TO bearing.

Fast forward to spring 2014. I am in afghanistan and hear from the wife that the noise has started again. Bottom line, I do some more research find out that some suspect the engineering behind a steel TO bearing riding on a Aluminum quill. Also it seems others have had issues with the "improved" TO bearing as well. So I went with the Steel sleeve and TO bearing from URD. Got it installed in August.

October rolls around and its happening again. URD supposedly got a bad batch of bearings so we returned it and swapped them. Paid for all the work on both. So here we are today, on our 4th TO bearing counting the original and its happening again. Same exact noise (its still in the early stages so it happens for a few minutes after cold start), chattering clutch, and high blood pressure.

So here is the question. Am I the only one that as had continuing problems with this, and if so what am I doing wrong? Is this just a problem with the 6 speeds? I'm willing to give it one more shot, taking the steel sleeve off and putting another OEM "improved" TO bearing in but after that I might break down and look into swapping an automatic transmission into it. Anyone out there know what that might run total?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the lengthy post.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:13 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
This is a somewhat common problem. Google "Toyota chirping clutch" for more info. The fundamental problem is with the clutch installation, not the TOB. The clutch fingers against which the TOB rides have to be all aligned within .020". If they are not, they cause the TOB to try to rock on the aluminum quill as the flywheel turns, eventually wearing the quill enough that the rocking motion starts squealing. Once that happens, you need a new quill, which in the later model Taco's and FJ Cruisers, means a new transmission housing. (In earlier, pre-2000 vehicles, the quill is replaceable as a separate part). Until the clutch fingers are properly aligned, no amount of TOB replacements will be a permanent fix.

There's actually nothing wrong with the TOB itself, and the truck will run for 10's of thousands of miles with no serious issues if you can keep your sanity. Some folks have had luck adjusting the clutch pedal free play to keep light pressure on the TOB at all times, which damps the rocking motion and stops the squealing. I've done that on my '94 4runner and it seems to be working for the past 5K miles or so.