03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

1GR dead motor - anybody have one??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1GR dead motor - anybody have one??

I will post in classifieds, but someone might have one laying around that got damaged somehow but never go to the classifieds to see if there is a need.

I want to get the crank out of one to check the compatiblity with other motors. the 2GR, 3GR and 4GR motors use the same crank, I thinking, but they have smaller strokes. Does anybody have any bad cranks laying around. It is going to be used for measuring and fitment purposes so it can be one from a spun bearing or busted rod journal.

Gonna be kinda hard to find one damaged, since these are pretty fresh engines, but one never knows...

Thanks,
Osiris
Old 05-24-2007, 10:00 AM

Are all GR motor blocks the same? I know the strokes are different, but are the blocks the same? Similar to how the 3VZ and 5VZ blocks are the same, pretty close.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by OSIRIS
I will post in classifieds, but someone might have one laying around that got damaged somehow but never go to the classifieds to see if there is a need.

I want to get the crank out of one to check the compatiblity with other motors. the 2GR, 3GR and 4GR motors use the same crank, I thinking, but they have smaller strokes. Does anybody have any bad cranks laying around. It is going to be used for measuring and fitment purposes so it can be one from a spun bearing or busted rod journal.

Gonna be kinda hard to find one damaged, since these are pretty fresh engines, but one never knows...

Thanks,
Osiris
If the cranks are the same, how could they have different strokes? Do you mean interchangeable?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 AM

Yeah. Or the same, but with different strokes. A lot of Toyota V6 motors use the 83 mm stroke, except the 4.0L. I read in one place it has an 89 mm stroke and another place states a 95 mm stroke. Don't know which is correct, but at any rate I am wondering if they are interchangable, yes.

I know the 2GR, 3GR, 4GR have 83 mm strokes. I know the 3VZ & 5VZ have 83 mm strokes. The 3VZ & 5VZ are the same crank, but the 3VZ is forged and the 5VZ is cast. The VZ motors are very similar but for the bore size to change the displacement.

The same goes for the GR motors, they all have 83 mm strokes with different bores for different displacements.

I just want to know if the cranks from all GR motors are interchangable and want to know if the cranks from the VZ motor, which are 83 mm strokes are the same as the GR 83 mm cranks, then there is a possibility to use the 1GR crank in the VZ motors.

I would not be surprised if it were the case, because that would be a way to manufacture one crank, one set of bearings and rods for all motors. An excellent way to increase the economies of scale and only make one product to apply to many different applications.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by OSIRIS
Yeah. Or the same, but with different strokes. A lot of Toyota V6 motors use the 83 mm stroke, except the 4.0L. I read in one place it has an 89 mm stroke and another place states a 95 mm stroke. Don't know which is correct, but at any rate I am wondering if they are interchangable, yes.

I know the 2GR, 3GR, 4GR have 83 mm strokes. I know the 3VZ & 5VZ have 83 mm strokes. The 3VZ & 5VZ are the same crank, but the 3VZ is forged and the 5VZ is cast. The VZ motors are very similar but for the bore size to change the displacement.

The same goes for the GR motors, they all have 83 mm strokes with different bores for different displacements.

I just want to know if the cranks from all GR motors are interchangable and want to know if the cranks from the VZ motor, which are 83 mm strokes are the same as the GR 83 mm cranks, then there is a possibility to use the 1GR crank in the VZ motors.

I would not be surprised if it were the case, because that would be a way to manufacture one crank, one set of bearings and rods for all motors. An excellent way to increase the economies of scale and only make one product to apply to many different applications.
Not true. The 2GR uses a shorter stroke than the 1GR, but uses the same bore. More details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine
Old 06-19-2007, 08:53 AM

You would be better off going custom crank if you want to stroke out the 5vz...the chances of the crank being the same are small just because the newer cranks have a different design to them. IE lighter