Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ZUK mod users, have you had any sag yet?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ZUK mod users, have you had any sag yet?

As the title says I'd like to find out if those of you, like myself, that have done the ZUK coil spring mod have had any sag at all. I know ZUK likes to keep track of stuff like this and with so many of us having done it I'm thinking a thread telling him what size coils you used, how long it's been since you did the mod, what you carry as far as weight goes and what you do with your rig (work/camping/wheeling/etc) would help him keep track of how well it works.

Pictures are optional but would be nice for folks that are worried about sag and/or how the rig looks. A before the lift picture and an after would be the best two to post. Oh and we might even get lucky enough to get this linked to his site for others to appreciate.

I'll start.
First one was a 1986 SR5 ext cab pickup. 14" 125lb coils, leveled with 1.5 4Crawler BJ spacers. Wheeled the hell out of it, hauled several (dozens!) of loads of fire wood out of the hills (some of those roads where little more than rabbit trails) and used it as a DD. It didn't sag at all in the year that I owned it.
Day it came home. Saggy rear, no flex and couldn't haul much.

Day it was sold a year later (ish). Best little work horse I ever owned and I still kick myself for selling it.

Next is an 89 4runner, 14" 125lb coils, leveled with 1.5 4Crawler BJ spacers. Current rig, use it for camping, wheeling, fishing excursions into areas where other rigs (full sized) usually can't get into, DD, grocery getter, date night limousine and my pride and joy (never ever selling this one).

First day. Saggy, no flex and couldn't hit a speed bump without the rear end hitting the bump stops. It was not fun to drive anywhere at first.

First pic after the ZUK mod. Been some changes between then and now. Currently I carry about 500lbs of camping gear/tools/fishing stuff/ice chest/etc when we go out anywhere. That and two adults, two dogs and anything else that we can cram in there. Also have the top back on it with a roof rack holding a 5 gallon fuel can, 5 gallon water can, the full sized spare, high lift jack, axe, shovel, etc.... gets heavy in a hurry. Been running loaded for two years now and ZERO sag.

This thread has two purposes.
1) Showcase the ZUK mod so that the nay-sayers can see that it is indeed a great mod and not some redneck rigged half butted upgrade that breaks frames (heard that one a few times)

2) Lets folks know that with a simple and cost effective install you can greatly increase your payload without ruining the ride quality.

Thanks for looking and replying and thank you ZUK for a great mod.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, had mine for 5 months now, 100 pound 14 inch version, with the bj spacers, and hasnt sagged at all.. Took it on a desert trip bout two months ago, three day trip, had the back fully loaded. Spare, Two coolers topped off, clothes, lots of blankets and comforters, air mattress, tools, tub of spare parts with water, antifreeze, recovery, and other crap, id guess round 300 pounds total, maybe more? But the gf and i were sleeping in the runner and with no tent, all our stuff went with us on the rides, so the back end was quite soft.. anyway, since we had to keep up with motorcycles and quads, the suspension was beat up pretty good, due to the fast and hard nature in which I drove it to keep up and avoid getting lost, I bottomed out and slammed the back end more times than I could count, but the springs held up and made the trip so much more enjoyable, even getting a few compliments from some friends on how surprisingly well they worked, after they all laughed at it earlier of course.. No sag at all yet, and I still keep a tub full of emergency stuff, and the spare stays strapped in the back on the roll bar.. Makes for a very smooth ride and as ghetto as it may look, it beats the hell out of an add a leaf.. Best mod ive done yet, just need new shocks and a locker now..

edit: forgot to mention, i also have a 5 gallon gas jug in the back in addition to the spare and tub.. so im sure thats about 100 pounds worth of stuff that constantly sits in there..

Last edited by erock13; 05-12-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had this mod on my 4Runner for over 2 years now and still as good today as the day we installed it. Although I don't ever have the roof on the back which helps alot, I do have a custom rear bumper with a spare tire carrier and a jerry can on it.

I load it up with camping gear often and still not a bit of sag. And it handles on the road much better than ever before even with all my gear.

I have heard some people complain about flex - I don't have any issues with that either:

I agree that it is probably the best cheap mod out there if you have any kind of sag issue. I highly recommed it to anyone.

Last edited by lofreqjeff; 05-16-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had mine on for 4 years or so. No sag whatsoever.