Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ZUK Mod still rides stiff!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZUK Mod still rides stiff!

Hey, I just completed the ZUK mod on my very saggy 88 4Runner. I used stock springs out of the front of a TJ cut down to 13.5" and they slipped right in perfectly. Netted 3.5" of lift in the back and LOVE the way it looks!! The first ride was amazing as the springs settled but now I've noticed that it rides almost as harsh as it did with the flattened springs. Are the TJ springs just too stiff or would new shocks help with this harsh ride? I picked up some 31x10.5 tires on stock wheels last night and the ride was much smoother with those loaded up in the back. I don't do too much off road so I'm really looking for the best ride for the road. Thanks for any help/advice you can provide!!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:48 AM

Describe what you mean by harsh...
drives like you are on the bumpstops hard or
drives like the rear end is gonna fly all over harsh or
suspension is to soft so you bottom out harsh?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 AM

If I go over bumps or dips it doesn't jar like the suspension is hitting something solid, the bump is dampened but it is very stiff, like it wasn't dampened much at all. Bigger bumps send me flying out of my seat...ok exaggeration but they definitely lift me out of my seat like I was riding in the back of a school bus
Old 06-24-2011, 06:58 AM

I doubt it is your shocks. but it could be if they don't Dampen the up travel you will hit your bump stop. so i would check your shocks. also with 3.5" of lift you may need longer shocks. Suspension works 2 ways and with out both ways it will ride like crap.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Shocks and springs work together.

Just because a coil is the right height doesn't mean it's the correct spring rate for your vehicle.

The ZUK mod has the possibility to be a great mod for a lot of people, but too many variables and too many cheapskates for there to be a one coil fits all solution.

Old worn out leaf springs are still old worn out leaf springs with old worn out stock ride height shocks.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by renuing
If I go over bumps or dips it doesn't jar like the suspension is hitting something solid, the bump is dampened but it is very stiff, like it wasn't dampened much at all. Bigger bumps send me flying out of my seat...ok exaggeration but they definitely lift me out of my seat like I was riding in the back of a school bus
Better put new shocks on it. If your old shock have leaked down and don't do any damping then it is likely you are smacking the bumpstop. I was "shocked" when I found this to be true in my own very case....I had a bad dead shock about 2 months ago....I was bottoming out the coils (brick mode) over the deep dips. Replaced the shock and does not do it anymore.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we used dual factory TJ front springs mounted off of the rear diff third up to a cross brace and it works great. has less body roll and can hold more weight without the sag.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 PM

I am experiencing the same thing with ZUK mod on my 94 pickup. my leafs were totally sagged out. i got the amount of lift i wanted with 14" 100lbs coil springs and installed new pro comp es 9000 shocks. basically with no weight in the bed i cant get the suspension to move at all. seems way too stiff. I got a pair of rear coil springs at work that i'm going to try putting on off a chevy cobalt. they have a lot more space between the coils, are about 13" tall and seem to be a bit softer than the 14" springs in there now. the few slightly rutted dirt roads i've wheeled on, the rear suspension was rather rigid and the truck seemed to bounce off the ruts, instead of moving and soaking up the ruts. i realized the es9000's are probably a bit overkill but i think the main problem is the coil springs
Old 07-06-2011, 12:15 PM

Here's a link to stock TJ spring rates. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278640

Looks like some of the TJ springs are about 135#/in (didn't specify 4 cyl, 6 cyl, etc. But there are a TON of spring options, so you'd need to know which Jeep it came out of).
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/coil-spring-labels-424831/?highlight=129AB

You cut them down, so that can affect spring rates if they are progressive. I didn't google for that.

My 87 4Runner has totally wasted shocks with stock suspension. On a good bump in LA getting onto I-10 from one of those highways, I can just about hit my head on the roof with my seatbelt on. (I'm putting up with it as my new suspension is here and this will be a problem of the past soon).

Have someone watch your rears to see how they're compressing over the bumps. And how they're extending. Chances are you need shocks.