Old 07-18-2013, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Zuk Installing and Fine Tuning Questions using 98 runner coils

Hi guys, so for once I managed to get an awesome score off craigslist:

$40 for all of the following, from a 98 Runner:

Name:  IMG_1584_zps78f16702.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  56.3 KB

1 - rear coils that dont sag (as a matter of fact, I saw a picture of that truck with these coils on it, and it has a GOOD rake to it, so the springs, I assumed, were plenty firm, and installation bore out that result - see below questions!)
2 - front coilovers, stock, but again in great shape
3 - front 4-piston calipers with good pads
4 - front rotors, still very thick and not scored

So I got all the stuff from the guy, and proceeded to start the install.

Prior to install, the truck was sitting like this:

Name:  IMG_1578_zps5849b50e.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1583_zps521da249.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1579_zps17bedddc.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  49.5 KB

Visually it wasnt too bad, but as you can see underneath, the springs are actually pretty flat; and with the top on, EXTREMELY flat, super stiff harsh ride.

So I got the right side done; the springs were so stiff and the coil compressor I rented from AZone was the "inside the coil" kind, so wouldnt work to compress, it would hit the bumpstops.

I had to drop the whole leaf (was doing bushings anyways, so no big deal), still had to compress the coil by hand about 1 coil, but it worked okay, then jack up the axle and pull tension a couple of places with a ratchet strap to line the leaf spring bolts back up. These coils are STIFF!@!!

I also had some longer shackles sitting around, and decided to put those in; as with the stiff coils I was worried about "forced droop" when wheeling, and possibly reversing the short Toy shackle, with ensuing carnage undesired. So I think that with these coils, longer shackles probably necessary. Mine are about 2" longer than stock.

Anyways, I ended up with more lift than I was hoping for:

Name:  IMG_1587_zpsa89f05fc.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  54.5 KB

and gained about 5" of lift:

Name:  IMG_1589_zpsa31f8dc8.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  43.8 KB

Its a little funky right now, just one side done, but I am not happy with TOO MUCH lift!!!! I have measured while the truck is in a few different spots, and actually I think I have a bit more height than the above picture shows, about 1" more or so.

LOL, how often do you hear that?!?!?

But I just wanted a slightly better ride, some load capacity, and cannot afford or have time to lift the front to match right now...

Of course, the longer shackles play a part; I have a steel flat bar I am going to make shackles out of; I think that 1" longer than stock will ease my concern of shackle inversion, with only gaining 1/2" extra lift.

My current thought is that I want to reduce the amount of lift I have gained, so the truck is more level and doesnt look so high in the badonka-donk end.

I am going to do the left side today, in a couple hours; and am thinking that I may take out the overload and lowest leaf, and just leave the top two leaves. That, in combination with just-longer-than-stock shackles, should LOWER the lift I got back to a reasonable level, methinks.

It seems that I gained, with these particular coils, at least, and maybe a bit more, than other people who have installed the 2nd gen runner coils. (Accounting for the longer shackles.)

Since its obvious that these coils are now performing the weight-carrying duties, it would seem that the leafs are now only serving to locate the axle; in which case I should be fine to remove the overload and bottom leaves. And combined with different shackles, should put me at about the height I want. Another benefit of this would be to reduce what is currently a pretty stiff spring rate, between the leafs and the coils; resulting in a decent ride, and some articulation, without sacrificing load carrying. I mean, these coils are pretty close to factory-new-strong! I havent driven it yet, as only one side is done, but am concerned about a very stiff ride.

Another option I am considering is to cut off a coil or two, which might fix all the above problems.

Anyone have any thoughts?

- Scott
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive it for a bit after you're finished and see how it sits. You can also cut the coils to make them shorter.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:06 AM

Yeah, you can cut the coils but you should know that cutting them will make them stiffer (higher spring rate).
Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 AM

Dang; if cutting the coils will make them even STIFFER, than that is not gonna work. Looks like its "take out some leaves" time. I think I'll try that on the left side, see how it sits compared to the right; then decide which is better.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:52 AM

Yup, sorry man.

"k" is the "spring rate", or the inches of deflection per pound of force applied to a compression spring.

k = [G*(d^4)]/[8*n*(D^3)]

G = modulus of rigidity of spring material (steel). this will not change if cut
d = wire diameter. not changing if cut
n = number of "active" coil (ie, those that can move, like if you have flattened ends). this WILL change.
D = mean coil diameter. this will not change if cut.

As "n" gets smaller "k" gets larger and your springs get stiffer.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 AM

Derockus, thanks! that is great info. I dont have extensive experience setting up suspensions lol so its kind of "trial and error" to see what works. I am just about to go out and do the left side, so its actually pretty convenient to remove the bottom leafs; I gotta replace the bushings anyways, and to even get the coil in there safely, have to drop the whole axle; so no biggie to take out some leafs. (a good excuse to slap some paint on a few places!)

Thanks again for the help, I'll post pics and update later after a test drive, see how it works!!!

- Scott
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Inu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you put 3rd gen coils. Isnt the common spring 140lb or tj coils? My bet is even without the leaves your lighter 1st gens gonna ride like a dump truck.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Inu
So you put 3rd gen coils. Isnt the common spring 140lb or tj coils? My bet is even without the leaves your lighter 1st gens gonna ride like a dump truck.
from reading a lot of the Zuk mod threads on here people tend to go with the 125#/in or 150#/in black magic springs. i used TJ front springs cut to 12"... I tried to find the stock spring rate for those and it's i guess 140-160#/in depending what you read. so i made mine a little stiffer. mine rides real nice when loaded up heavy for camping. riding around totally empty, top off, and only me driving its a pretty stiff rear. personally, i'd rather deal with stiffness while empty and be cushy when i'm wheelin' around fully loaded.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:51 AM

Ooops, there is a typo up top - the truck I got these from is a 1996, not a 98. sorry for that confusion.

I didnt look closely at the guys truck when I picked up the parts, but here is a pic of his truck from CL:

Name:  donortruckforcoils_zps1810315d.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  30.9 KB

Looks like a 96, right? I will text him today and double check.

anyways, got the left side all done, took a while to cut out the old bolts and bushings....man, that chore is FUN! haha. Only broke one u-bolt, 1/2 a shackle, 2 sawzall blades, and one drill bit.

Pulled the two lowest leafs out, had to get an M8 allen head, grade 10, to re-pin the two skinny leafs together, and to get the centering pin to fit in the holes on the spring pads and the bumpstop. Also had to put some washers/spacers under the u-bolt plate, as with the removal of two leafs, that effectively pushed the u-bolt plate up the threads of the u-bolt, so high that I couldnt tighten the nuts. Not super happy about that method, but planning on a u-bolt flip kit soon anyways, so its fine for now.

And the bolts I got for the new shackles were too short - I didnt factor in that I was using thicker metal for the new shackle sides when I was at the store. So the truck stayed on the jackstands overnight till I can get to the store in a bit for some longer bolts.

Should be done this morning; once I get the long bolts I need, I will bolt up the left side, leave the right side, drive it around the block and see how the two different sides compare.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:14 AM

Well that didnt work. LOL.

coils are just way too stiff. Removing leafs just created axlewrap; noticeable while shifting gears on the road, and very bad while in 4low going up a rocky wash.

And the coils are so stiff, that the axle doesnt articulate barely at all, instead simply lifting the body:

Name:  IMG_1610_zpscf85fab1.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  61.3 KB

In the photo it *looks* like its compressing a little bit, and it is, but it never compressed any more than that - look at the hitch for reference; its almost the same angle as the axle.

Oh well, it was worth a try. Time to pull them out and put the leafs back together. At least now that I have new bushings and bolts, the leafs and rear axle come apart easily and quickly!