86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Yota is like a pogostick!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yota is like a pogostick!

I have a 93 x-cab sr-5 4x4. It doesnt have plates just purely my offroad rig. Bobbed bed, 33 inch mtrs, welded rear diff, still independent front susp. Ive been wheeling this thing for about a year every weekend pretty hard and its held up great! besides for 2 ring and pinion blowouts. If its dry out whatsoever and im climbing something pretty steep it just wants to pogo super bad.....its insane! and the 2 times ive blown the front end out were because it hoped once and before i could even get on the clutch it popped the frontend....its really f***in AGGRAVATING!!! i think its mostly because of the indepent just havin alot of movement and causing this. any other ideas or suggestions to fix?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What gears are you running? I ask because mine will do the same thing once in a while if I'm climbing something steep and have to use the skinny pedal to finish the climb. My issue is that, even with 4.56's and only 31's, my low range isn't low enough to do a nice slow climb on some surfaces. For instance the last time I went out I was trying to crawl up behind a fellow in a 4runner with open diffs and slightly larger tires. He made the climb easily with only minor slipping since none of the tires broke lose before the one of the other 3 would grab something. In my case one of the back tires broke loose, so did the other rear tire and then the front end. All I did was hop about twice and slide back down the icy ridge we were trying to climb. The locker in the rear, Aussie for me and Lincoln for you, is also a limited cause. If one tire in the back end breaks traction then the other does also, such is the case with a locker, and the rear will "hop" a little. This in turn will cause the front to "hop" a little as well. In my case I'm going to remedy that with a second t-case so I have a much lower crawl speed in compound low. A lower crawl speed equals much more control.

I hope that helps a little.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:44 AM

SOLID FRONT AXLE (SFA) I know this was already brought up....so don't hurt me
Old 01-19-2009, 06:45 AM

4.88 Gears are also a good idea.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:53 AM

ya ive got 4:10 gears...i mean to me it seems like ive got enough gear but like you said more gearing equals more control...before i had blew the front end out i had no problem with just hammerin down when it would start hoppin and usually it would smooth itself out...but after rebuildin that bastard twice im alil scared haha.....as soon as i get my other yota up and runnin to go trail riding im gonna tear this one apart anyways and do the straigh axle..but we go wheelin almost every weekend and i dont like to not have a rig
Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by BEATERYOTA93
ya ive got 4:10 gears...i mean to me it seems like ive got enough gear but like you said more gearing equals more control...before i had blew the front end out i had no problem with just hammerin down when it would start hoppin and usually it would smooth itself out...but after rebuildin that bastard twice im alil scared haha.....as soon as i get my other yota up and runnin to go trail riding im gonna tear this one apart anyways and do the straigh axle..but we go wheelin almost every weekend and i dont like to not have a rig
My guess would be the gears are the porblem, well that and the fact that you have to hammer on it to go where you want to.

I understand about not wanting to have your rig sitting in the driveway torn apart while your friends go wheeling. Mine's a daily driver so I have to be a little more careful about beating the crap out of it.

Take care and have fun out there.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:11 AM

What size tires are you running? I have seen this happen when the torsion bars are cranked too tight.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by jsn_stockard
What size tires are you running? I have seen this happen when the torsion bars are cranked too tight.
In the firt post he's running 33" MTR's.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:15 AM

Im runnin 33s. no lift....its almost like the rear shocks are worn out and allowing the rear to slouch and liftin the front just enough to get it rockin and once it starts rockin it dont like to stop....fox shox. 4 link front and rear and straiight axle are all in the barn...just havnt had the time to tear it down yet...i imagine that will solve my problem...just thought id see if anyone else had been beating there brains up with this problem...