Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

yet more brake problems PO was a POS

Old 04-30-2007, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet more brake problems PO was a POS

WOW I guess I am not the only one having problems with brakes I am working on a buddys truck when he brought over the truck there was almost no fluid in the reservoir first thing I did was top it off he had almost no pedal.

so I bleed out the lines like I have done many times before.
when I was pumping out fluid out from the rear lines it was going real slow and very dirty fluid black and gritty.
the fronts where better anyway after bleeding the system out it had no pedal unless you pumped it about 6 times or more and the motor starts to stall out when pumping the pedal.

I used a mighty vac pump to bleed the lines.

so went and got a new MC primed it like the instructions said to installed it bleed it again and still no brakes only had to pump it 4 to 5 time but still not good enough to drive on

when the booster is hooked up the pedal is worse then when I pull and cap off the vac line

so heres one catch the LSPV was removed and a T was put in its place so right now there are to lines that run back to a T the go to another T that gos to the rear wheels .

the whole system in tight and not leaking but I have no pedal

I was thinking of moving the T up front and only having one line run to the back.

he is running low on funds for parts and I hate to have him keep getting more parts we are very close at this time of replacing every thing on the brake system.

so tomorrow after work I am going to remove the calipers and check them out

so I guess I am asking is what the hell should I do with the rear lines and Ts back there

my idea of using only one line is it would get better pressure
at this time I might also loosen every connection on the brake lines and try to flush it out I feel like there must be some sort of blockage in the lines still.

I have changed many calipers and even rebuilt mine on my truck with no problems be this sucker has me flustered.
so any input will be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Last edited by CyMoN; 04-30-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For whatever its worth, on my 87 I found the LSPV wouldnt allow any fluid to go back to the front, and it was barely letting any to the rear, and i had great pedal feel. soon as I put a new (used but good) LSPV on it, I lost my good pedal, and still to this day have just OK pedal feel. You might try capping off the rears, and see what if feels like and go from there.... However I am not abdicating running just front brakes, however it might help figure out if the problem is the T or not....
Old 04-30-2007, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I will add this is a 86 22r pick up converted to a dump truck.
I will also check the rubber lines just read that on another thread man I hope this will be a some what easy fix and we do not have to replace the whole dang brake system.

I have already put a good 20 hours into trying to get this truck in good running order.

did the timing chain and new timing cover spark plug wires and spark plugs cleaned the carb replaced a bunch of gaskets
degreased the whole motor and tranny so it is running great now and no leaks.
just the darned brakes

Last edited by CyMoN; 05-01-2007 at 05:37 AM.