Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

writeup: '89-'94 heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the motor is to the right.The air is in the middle.the heater box is behind the radio.the heater box comes out where the glove box would be.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:58 PM

Smile 1992 Heater Core Replacement

I just replaced the heater core on my 92 4Runner using shaeff's post. As I went along I took many pictures to help me put it back together. I have them uploaded to my Facebook page if you want to take a look or to use so you do not have to take pictures as you go along to remember where and how everything goes together. I took about 60 plus pictures, but it does not cover everything. The one piece of advice I have after the whole experience is to leave the 4 controls cables attached to the a/c control console (They control the temperature of the air, the ducts the air goes through, the fan speed, and the air intake.) I found out the best way to get this obstacle out of the way is to detach the cables at the end where it is attached to each device the control operates. The end to remove has a eye. I broke 2 of the ends attached to the console and it cost me an extra $30 to fix. Luckily I actually found the 2 parts pulled from a guy in Addison, instead of having to go to a junk yard.

see pictures here:
http://s978.photobucket.com/albums/a...Heater%20Core/

Last edited by great1; 11-17-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
wow I'm glad this got revived, lol, I have to do mine soon; I have the new heater core and new hoses and everything already, just need the time to do it

props on the great write-up!

Thanks dude!

what? why would you have to release the pressure from the AC system?
I don't have A/C, but you shouldn't have to. The HVAC system in the Pickup is similarly set up to that of my MKIII Supra which has A/C, and there's no need to have the system discharged. It just makes it a bit more challenging, but is easily done with patience.
Originally Posted by rangerruck
I'm new at all things auto/mechanical so I have a question; in the 2nd to the last pic, you show two devices, with the duct removed from between the two. Am I right in assuming the heater core is inside the left device, and not the right? the one on the right looks like a motor, with a filter of some type in front of it...
I assume you mean the third to last pic? This one: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...uctremoved.jpg

The heater core is located in the center piece, right behind where the stereo would be. You can see the top of it in the picture, along with the pipes going through the firewall. The second to last picture is a close up of that black box there the heater core is located: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...dstripping.jpg

Originally Posted by great1
I just replaced the heater core on my 92 4Runner using shaeff's post. As I went along I took many pictures to help me put it back together. I have them uploaded to my Facebook page if you want to take a look or to use so you do not have to take pictures as you go along to remember where and how everything goes together. I took about 60 plus pictures, but it does not cover everything. The one piece of advice I have after the whole experience is to leave the 4 controls cables attached to the a/c control console (They control the temperature of the air, the ducts the air goes through, the fan speed, and the air intake.) I found out the best way to get this obstacle out of the way is to detach the cables at the end where it is attached to each device the control operates. The end to remove has a eye. I broke 2 of the ends attached to the console and it cost me an extra $30 to fix. Luckily I actually found the 2 parts pulled from a guy in Addison, instead of having to go to a junk yard.

see pictures here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...82&id=54603191
Cool. Yeah, I forgot to mention that the cables should be left on the HVAC unit, and disconnected from the heater box vents and the heater valve (on the firewall in the engine bay). By the way, your pics say "temporarily unavailable."
Old 11-16-2009, 03:01 PM

what reasons would you replace a heater core for? I replaced a heater core because it was leaking...but my truck takes a long time to heat up...i'm wondering if its partly due to the heater core being clogged. Not sure???
Old 11-16-2009, 03:43 PM

Its funny this got revived. I have to remove my dash this weekend and this thread came up on the search.

Great write up!
Old 11-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 91Toyota
what reasons would you replace a heater core for? I replaced a heater core because it was leaking...but my truck takes a long time to heat up...i'm wondering if its partly due to the heater core being clogged. Not sure???
well if you're thinking it's clogged, you can TRY to back-flush it, BUT, that's what I did, and then it sprung a leak, lol, so attempt at your own risk

granted, after flushing it, the heater worked AWESOME for about a week or so... then on my way to work one morning, I was left sitting in a fine mist of antifreeze pouring from the vents in my dash...
Old 11-16-2009, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
I was getting a film of greasy anti-freeze residue on the windshield when using the defroster. I didn't wait to replace it- I didn't want to have coolant pouring out inside the truck. By the way, it's been two years now since I replaced it (and made this writeup) and it's still operating perfectly.

Originally Posted by HAI-TEK7
Its funny this got revived. I have to remove my dash this weekend and this thread came up on the search.

Great write up!
Thanks! (now give me your old bed! LOL!)
well if you're thinking it's clogged, you can TRY to back-flush it, BUT, that's what I did, and then it sprung a leak, lol, so attempt at your own risk

granted, after flushing it, the heater worked AWESOME for about a week or so... then on my way to work one morning, I was left sitting in a fine mist of antifreeze pouring from the vents in my dash...
Yeah, same thing happened to me on my '71 Chevy c-10 stepside about 7 years ago. I backflushed the 'core, it had fantastic heat for about 3 days, then the 'core literally popped. There was more coolant in the cabin of the truck than there was in the motor! (I was very thankful for the rubber "carpet" floor mat. I just opened the door and it all ran out.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:55 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by shaeff
Thanks dude!

I don't have A/C, but you shouldn't have to. The HVAC system in the Pickup is similarly set up to that of my MKIII Supra which has A/C, and there's no need to have the system discharged. It just makes it a bit more challenging, but is easily done with patience.

I assume you mean the third to last pic? This one: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...uctremoved.jpg

The heater core is located in the center piece, right behind where the stereo would be. You can see the top of it in the picture, along with the pipes going through the firewall. The second to last picture is a close up of that black box there the heater core is located: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...dstripping.jpg

Cool. Yeah, I forgot to mention that the cables should be left on the HVAC unit, and disconnected from the heater box vents and the heater valve (on the firewall in the engine bay). By the way, your pics say "temporarily unavailable."
I have located all my pictures to photobucket instead of facebook. I updated the link in my original post but here it is again just in case:

http://s978.photobucket.com/albums/a...Heater%20Core/
Old 11-17-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
title needs to be changed to " '89-'95 "
Old 12-13-2009, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have to replace mine :/. Windows are turning green lol
Old 12-13-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
title needs to be changed to " '89-'95 "
Quiet, you! LOL.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by modlite
i have to replace mine :/. Windows are turning green lol
It is well worth it!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:48 AM

I have a question about the AC. Why does it make it harder? Do they actually run the ac core and stuff inside the truck also? I don't know much about how the AC works on these trucks, but I'm hoping it doesn't get in the way.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by modlite
I have a question about the AC. Why does it make it harder? Do they actually run the ac core and stuff inside the truck also? I don't know much about how the AC works on these trucks, but I'm hoping it doesn't get in the way.
The A/C evaporator (what the fan blows against to make cool air for your driving pleasure) is located to the right of the heater core, in one f the large white vent boxes. The way Toyota assembled the vent system, the A/C evap box partially blocks the heater core box from being easily removed. You need a fair amount of finesse and patience to wriggle the heater core box free.

And don't damage the extension pipes on the heater core- if they're out of round you'll get leaks.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice write-up, hope I never need it though.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Great write up!!! I am fixin to do this on my friends rig. This will help for sure!!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:48 AM

Thanks, all. It's really not as bad as it sounds/looks, though. It gives you a good chance to clean out all that built up dust!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
haha, according to shop key/all data they say that its 1.9 hours of work...
i want to call bs. haha
Old 12-18-2009, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
haha, according to shop key/all data they say that its 1.9 hours of work...
i want to call bs. haha
Maybe if you've done it a few times, but definitely not for a first timer.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:18 PM

Revival #3!!

I'm trying to get to the blower motor and airbox, without the intent to change my heater core.. I'm getting poor heat transfer from the core (which gets hot) to the air passing over it. I believe my core is caked in a layer of dirt and grime which is not insulating the core instead of allowing it to exchange heat to the air.. Seeing how dusty and gimey the outside of the dash is, which gets cleaned once in a while, I can only imagine how dirty the inside of the vetillation system is.

My question. Do I need to remove the upper part of the dash and the lateral brace to get to the heater box and faces of the heater core?

Quick Reply: writeup: '89-'94 heater core replacement