Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Would you bother putting these 2 header bolts in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you bother putting these 2 header bolts in?

I'm in the process of installing a new Doug Thorley Header on my 22RE and I have a minor problem. The only two holes that are threaded in the header flange were not threaded correctly. (Link at bottom to a picture showing which holes) The header is brand new from Summit.

They are supposed to be a 10mm 1.25 pitch because that is what the stock bolts are but I assure you that they are not. I thought the threads just needed to be cleaned up so I purchased 2 new 10mm 1.25 bolts to run into the thread to clean them up. (I don't have a tap or I would have used that). That seemed to go okay but it did knock the threads down on the the bolts quite a bit.

Anyway... I get the header in start to tighten things down and I didn't even get to 10ft/lbs on those 2 bolts and they stripped.

Neither of them thread into the block and they are there just to hold the air injection tube on which already has 2 bolts holding it on.

So my question is: Would you bother with rethreading those holes or would you just install the header without them?

Link to pic: http://picasaweb.google.com/NMMaraud...79295379066450
Old 07-13-2009, 01:32 PM

i say try it without em...but i think its going to leak. If it works, great. If not, youll have to fix em
Old 07-13-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Rethread them, in the long run the best thing to do
Old 07-13-2009, 03:33 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
go buy a tap and re-thread them.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:48 PM

My Thorley came with block off plates and those 2 bolts in question. All the other bolts were reused from the original manifold. My truck doesn't have that pipe going across so I use the block off plates.
I think it will definately leak. Drill and tap it to a convenient size. There's all kinds of metal on that flange.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drill and retap or use timecerts. I wouldn't run without them as you're almost certain to have an exhaust leak.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I ran into the same thing with my PaceSetter head, and I just blamed it on a cheap PaceSetter design

But with my current rebuild in progress, I'm installing some block-off plates from LCE, and it looks like the holes are lining up... go figure... now I just gotta get some bolts, lol

but you helped me; thanks for the dimentions!

Old 07-13-2009, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run without those two botls on my 88' and it leaks like a somumumabitch!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:33 PM

This is why I love the internet. It is so nice to hear the opinions of other experienced mechanics. I was already thinking 'fix it' was the right answer because I really hate it when things aren't like they should be but it is always nice to hear what others have to say.

After looking at the header even more I'm not sure those two holes on mine were even drilled in the right spot. They look to be about 1/16th off to the right and down. Since I bought it from Summit, I just sent it back for an exchange. I really hope that it was a fluke and I just got a lemon. When I get the new one you can bet I'll be checking everything very closely. If things still aren't right, I'll have to decide if I want to fix it (Most likely have a machine shop do it since I don't have the proper tools) or go with a different header. I really like the tri-y design because I could use the torque down lower in the RPM range.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:35 PM

so i just stumbled upon this thread, don't know how. but i happen to have an exhaust leak. my stock manifold cracked a couple years ago and i got a pacesetter as a cheap easy replacement. always had this leak with the pace and lived with it forever. i don't think my two holes were even threaded.

i finally broke down and picked up a full lce exhaust for my 22 runner. sounded good for a while then went cruising through the mountains and the leak reappeared. that was last weekend. now the runner sits until i figure it out.

so thanks for the help. i just threw a couple bolts in said two hole and viola. no more exhaust leak. well a little but ill change out the now bad gaskets tomorrow when i find them in the shop.

wo who. the missing ingredient. sounds great. thanks for the help

o, and a great quote from when i rebuilt my tranny. "there are no extra parts, everything that comes off, goes on. EVERYTHING" still learn that one on a daily basis.

again thank you so much for letting fate find us together to fix my problem, and yours hopefully.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:23 AM

I heard that if you put something back together and have parts left over it means you made it better!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I maybe mistaken but I don't think that the holes on the original manifold are threaded, the head would be but not the manifold...with that being said I would not think that the header should be threaded either. But you do want to have those bolts in, as others have said it'll leak and blowout the gasket...it'll sound like poo and give poor performance as well.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:21 PM

it seems almost as if those bolts are threaded to the header so that the piece stays with the header. stock i believe their is a big heat shield as well which may have bolted up here. on my re their really isn't a place where threads would be behind the header right now, in fact i believe it is air space right their.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:19 PM

Yeah threads in the header not the head. Original manifold on mine had no extra holes since mine doesn't have that pipe.