Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Works for a While, Then Shuts Down

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Okay so a fire happened (unrelated to me or the truck) not a real big thing but my truck is covered in gas at the moment so I was like "f- this" and just used the starter to back it out of the way. It picked up and the engine backed it the rest of the way. I looked into it, and my float bowl was totally full. So I restarted it and let it run, and watched my float bowl very slowly empty. Pump's good, lines clear, what now?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Well now you go get clean warm and dry I expect. Sorry you got doused.

Because Roadkill! Smack the stupid float bowl untill it unsticks and the float bowl rapidly fills confirming you need new parts. The float itself is wedging on its pivot or the pintle is jamming in the valve.

You can keep chasing pressure build up thru the charcoal canisters, but it's probably just a tiny scratch in a moving part.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:23 AM

I ordered a rebuild kit from Napa. It's already in and I've already looked at it. Guess I best get my money up and go down there and pick it up then.

Yep. Smacked it with a pipe wrench a few times and it went on up to the half. Reckon you was right. Thanks.

Last edited by Johnsoline; 01-04-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:48 PM

Consider buying another for the spare, rebuild it while the first go through is fresh in your mind and you I'll be a pro.. for a few days at least hah! Do not do them at the same time, keep the parts seperate.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:46 PM

I have another carb, but it also needs work. (more than my current) I've got another, but it goes to my '83 and has a water choke and such. Gotta rebuild all three I guess.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:00 PM

Okay. So I rebuilt my carburetor, and the float bowl is completely filled. It runs (barely) and makes fireballs. I adjusted the float to the numbers given to me in the instructions (9.8 mm) with the little ruler that came in the kit. I had it at a *perfect* 9.8 mm. At a loss.

Last edited by Johnsoline; 01-14-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:37 PM

Should be safe to tweak the float level per the FSM to get it in the middle of the glass.

but

I'm concerned about the fuel pump over pressuring the carb now. It could be the float valve ( needle ?) doesn't seat?

​​​​​​It's kind of progress right? Went from not enough fuel to way to much.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got one. Thanks

Last edited by flg8r22; 01-23-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Not sure how this post showed up here. Sorry
Old 01-19-2017, 03:25 AM

I think maybe, I could try a fuel pressure regulator, or put on another one of my fuel pumps. I have a question though, there are two fuel pump types of see, one tall one, and another shorter one that looks like a flat disc. Are they different? Will go for pics.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:15 PM

Is there a difference between these two? Besides their looks?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Okay so I put the other pump on. (Silver one from pic above) and paired it with a regulator. Truck works now! With a little adjustment I'll get it in the dead center of the float bowl. But then this:

This wire here filled my truck with smoke. And then it caught on fire. I'm curious as to what it does and why it caught on fire. Wondering if it has something to do with the FL like I changed recently.

On a side note, I did not take notice of how my electric choke mounted on. The wire inside is bent into a square, I assumed that the pin of the choke flap went inside of it. But there's a wire behind that square that I also have to put the pin past. Which side of that wire does it go on?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Okay so I put the other pump on. (Silver one from pic above) and paired it with a regulator. Truck works now! With a little adjustment I'll get it in the dead center of the float bowl. But then this:

This wire here filled my truck with smoke. And then it caught on fire. The two ends are where it split and it can also be seen that it damaged the white wire but did not fully melt the insulation. When it did this my dash dimmed but I think this is simply because of the power draw that the melting wire had. I'm curious as to what it does, how to fix it, and why it caught on fire. It comes out of the fuse box up with a cluster of wires, it melted further up as well but did not catch fire. Wondering if it has something to do with the FL wire I changed recently.

On a side note, I did not take notice of how my electric choke mounted on. The wire inside is bent into a square, I assumed that the pin of the choke flap went inside of it. But there's a wire behind that square that I also have to put the pin past. Which side of that wire does it go on?

Last edited by Johnsoline; 01-23-2017 at 04:21 PM.