Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A word of advice on header installs

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
A word of advice on header installs

no matter the manufacturer, do not, I repeat DO NOT, use the cheapo freek'n sorry excuse for a paper gasket that they provide...

2 days after I installed my new header, I heard a leak. I couldn't pin-point it at the header, and it kinda sounded like it was coming from behind the head, so I though maybe I had an issue with that emmsion pipe that ran back there. My thoughts were just let it leak, cause in a few months, I'll probably be doing a motor swap anyhow, and I'll address that problem then, when it's easier to get to.

Well Monday I notced something a little odd... the agrivating exhaust leak noise was A LOT louder on my way home from work than it was when I had left my house in the morning.

So on my way home I made a pit-stop at the parts store to A) order a new antenna mount, cause I broke mine over the weekend trying to swap antennas B) pick up some new spark plugs, cause I've been meaning to change them, and C) get a new, stock replacement exhaust manifold gasket... yes, it was the manifold gasket all along...

When I had gotten to the parts store I popped the hood to just take a quick peak, and not only had one of the studs backed out and gone completely missing but the gasket had clearly separated in about 5 places... it was leaking both where it mounts to the head, and both of the little gaskets that seal that emmisions tube to the header...

So today I got off my lazy arse when I got home from work, and installed my new plugs, and fitted the new gasket. The gasket took a little working with; I had to remove the heat sheild the OEM replacements come with, cause it would have obstructed the seal of the header to the head. I also used an old (but in good shape) O2 sencor gasket for the emmision tube, back close to the firewall; it worked perfect! It's the exact right size!

Now if I can just get the time to have the rest of the exhaust welded sealed, it'll be silent again!

Also met another YotaTech'er at the parts store For the life of me man, I cannot remember your name, sorry... but I know your name here on YT had paintball in it Haha, he was like "Hey is that your white Toyota out there with the YotaTech sticker on it?" "Why yes it is, you know the site?" Where are you at man? Did you figure out the problem with the 3.0 in the Runner we were talking about?

Old 03-25-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The gaskets that came with my Thorley headers are holding up just fine *so far*. I have a set of stock gaskets sitting in the garage waiting for it to happen though. I'm not looking forward to doing the driver side EVER again. I thought the passenger side was going to be trouble but the driver side ended up being the bastard.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 PM

um, honestly, i wouldn't use a paper gasket on a exhaust manifold anyways, thats just a bad idea. But hey, live and learn right?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Swansen
um, honestly, i wouldn't use a paper gasket on a exhaust manifold anyways, thats just a bad idea. But hey, live and learn right?
lol, well you would think I would know better, after my experience with SB Chevy's

When I did the 4BM swap into my 82 Monte Carlo, I bet I burnt through 10-15 sets of cheap paper gaskets before I gave up and paid $40 for a set of reusable metal crushable header gaskets, lol

AND, the issues I had back when I had my Isuzu with the built 2.3l; same deal there. I used the paper gasket that came with the header (made by Calmini), burnt it up in about a month, ordered another through Calmini, and it lasted about 3 months... Then I just put a stock manifold replacement gasket on it, and never had a problem again hopefully I get that lucky again

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
The gaskets that came with my Thorley headers are holding up just fine *so far*. I have a set of stock gaskets sitting in the garage waiting for it to happen though. I'm not looking forward to doing the driver side EVER again. I thought the passenger side was going to be trouble but the driver side ended up being the bastard.
well luckily, on the 22re, there's plenty of access to it; about the only thing I moved was the plug wires (which was going to happen anyhow, cause I replaced the plugs), and the 2 vaccum hoses on the PS pump for the idle up valve

and yeah I can probably attribute some of the gasket's "cheapness" to the fact is was made by Pacesetter which by the way, I will be upgrading to a Thorley when I do the motor swap

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-25-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM

Ah, you 22R guys have it made. There isn't much of a power difference between a 22RE and a 3VZE, but turning wrenches on them is a completely different story.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:34 PM

Calmini.....
Old 03-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Calmini.....
si senoir

http://www.calmini.com/

more specifically

http://www.pureisuzu.com/headers2.htm
Old 03-25-2009, 07:39 PM

lol, no i know.... i'm just saying.... Calmini.... They like have these niche markets, and make like semi good stuff, semi, and then don't back their products up... so.. Calmini... (semi cringe..)
Old 03-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

lol, no i know.... i'm just saying.... Calmini.... They like have these niche markets, and make like semi good stuff, semi, and then don't back their products up... so.. Calmini... (semi cringe..)
oh , lol

well the header was great, just the gasket didn't last

I bought their cam for the Isuzu 2.3l too, and never had an issue with it either

and the carb kit I bought for the truck too through them, well that was a Weber 32/36 DGEV, so that's technically not Calmini but still a great carb
Old 03-25-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
If you use a stock style gasket drill the rivets out of the middle shield as it won't crush flat. I also I replaces exhaust bolts with studs, I stripped one on my old head. Think the paper gaskets are for like single race applications, they even wrap they're headers for single races type.

Good luck bleeder.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by muddpigg
If you use a stock style gasket drill the rivets out of the middle shield as it won't crush flat. I also I replaces exhaust bolts with studs, I stripped one on my old head. Think the paper gaskets are for like single race applications, they even wrap they're headers for single races type.

Good luck bleeder.
oh yeah, I popped the rivets right apart

I had installed new studs with the header at the time, which is why I was kinda agrivated one worked it's way out, but this time around I installed lock washers
Old 03-25-2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
Still running the thorley gaskets as well and no prob. I cringe at the thought of replacing them though...
Old 03-25-2009, 08:05 PM

Did you re-torque the header after it got hot? I'm on my second Downey header since 1995 and never had a problem with the cheap paper gasket. I use Ultra Copper when I install it and then re-torque when it gets hot and never look back. My first paper gasket lasted longer than the header. The first header rusted out where they weld on the 02 sensor mount and the 2nd header and paper gasket are still on.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dbl. E
Did you re-torque the header after it got hot? I'm on my second Downey header since 1995 and never had a problem with the cheap paper gasket. I use Ultra Copper when I install it and then re-torque when it gets hot and never look back. My first paper gasket lasted longer than the header. The first header rusted out where they weld on the 02 sensor mount and the 2nd header and paper gasket are still on.
yes sir I did

and tomorrow afternoon after I get home from work, I'm going to hit these bolts again
Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
headers are something i'm scheming up to do.......22re...what's best? i had a new flowmaster muffler placed 2 years ago , no tone difference, no performance difference. just started thinking lately about starting from front to back........and replacing everything. never even needed the catalytic converter replaced (18 years)...so i think it's time. and i think it's something i could manage to do. and buy parts little by little.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
headers are something i'm scheming up to do.......22re...what's best? i had a new flowmaster muffler placed 2 years ago , no tone difference, no performance difference. just started thinking lately about starting from front to back........and replacing everything. never even needed the catalytic converter replaced (18 years)...so i think it's time. and i think it's something i could manage to do. and buy parts little by little.
don't get a PaceSetter

you have been warned

I just used it cause it was the cheapest alternative to the stock manifold, before I do a motor swap and get a good one
Old 03-25-2009, 08:27 PM

why not pacesetter. how about thorley? any others to pick from?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatcha swappin' in 'bleeder?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
why not pacesetter. how about thorley? any others to pick from?
A friend of mine runs a Headman header on his 22re; he's been very pleased with it ...
Old 03-25-2009, 08:41 PM

just went to the website. can't pick my year truck, skips from 1988 to 2000 and nothing lited in between ,but i will keep hedman in mind.

Quick Reply: A word of advice on header installs