86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wont start please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wont start please help

hi i just bought a 95 4 runner 3.0 auto. got it running with a fuel pump and it ran rough so i did a tune up oil, air fuel filters plugs, cap and rotor button. went to start and it would fire and die then no start at all. i am trying to fix this on a budget and dont want to have to take it to a dealer. if you can help me please do i will be very greatful. thanks jon
Old 06-24-2007, 02:16 PM

You check your timing? make sure its set properly. Have you checked for Spark and fuel pressure as well?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will it fire if you use starting fluid ? Open the air box and open the door on the AFM with the ignition switch on and listen to hear if your fuel pump kicks on . If not you may have a short some where . You can also use a jumper wire in the terminals of the diagnostic box next to the main fuse box on the passenger fender. I think it's E1 to FC for the jumper. I'm not 100% there , you'll need to do a search to confirm.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:33 PM

Make sure you didn't knock any of your air intake system loose, the 3.slows have a hard time starting if its not pulling enough air through the mass airflow sensor. I would also recommend checking your fuel pressure and spark. After changing the fuel pump it also can take a couple of try's to get it to start do to the amount of air that might of made its way into the fuel line.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:35 PM

I had same problem-bad f pump relay.

I had the same problem ('92 V6 xtra cab 4WD), but i when pseudo-wheelin LATE one night when it was POURING down rain. the creek flooded over the road and I decided to put it in 4wd low and press on (don't worry, i walked through it first to make sure my truck wouldn't get waashed away!) anyhow, the idiot on the other side told me and my friend "you gotta go fast, you gotta have momentum...floor it."
i told him, "hey [dumbass] i have 4wd low, a V6, and i'm on pavement, in know momentum is good in snow but i don't think i need it...."
but this was the 1st time i'd ever put my truck in 4WD, and he claimed to have been wheeling a lot, so i listened to him. i made it across fine, but we hung out for a while, creek got higher, and i stupidly took his advice and floored it heading back towards home through the water. gulp gulp gulp!
after me and the tow truck driver pulled every bit of 250' of cable out of his truck and hooked it to the front of my truck (creek crested at 5am, water was about 8" above the bottom of my driver's side door, but 1/2" below the passenger door)
i got my truck home.
i had almost hydro locked it.
it would run for 5 seconds then die. my friend and i worked on it most of the day and i chased the wiring diagram and deducted correctly that the main fuel relay was blown. it's in the right kick panel just in front of the right door. if it's bad, the fuel pump will only stay on for 5 seconds. of course i called the local 4wd shop and they told me "oh, you CAN'T figure that out yourself! you need a computer and yada yada yada"
sorry guys, i ain't paying you to figure out something i can do myself. besides, i've never paid a mechanic a red cent, save for the 1/2 hr to tell me the ring gear in my 1985 maxima wagon w/ 223k on it is about to fall of the differential, and the mechanic was surprised he'd made it round the block.
i think this relay was like $65 at the dealer. you can jump it with a wire to see if it's the problem, truck should keep the pump running w/ the wire jumped.
see the back of your haynes manual for the wiring diagram.
and good luck!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:04 PM

thanks guys for the help checked the spark tonight by putting a plug in a wire hold it on head bolt no fire checked for voltage at the coil wire on dist. cap none then checked at the top of the coil where wire comes out for cap none. checked the wires going in to coil for juice and there is juice on both wires. thinking maybe its the coil any thoughs before i buy one. thanks jon