Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

wiring question, parking lights,dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring question, parking lights,dash lights

Looked thru the haynes book, googled it, no luck, I have headlights, have blinkers (now all day working on that one), I have no parking lights or dash lights, Im thinking its in my switch since I can not find any power coming from it when I turn the switch on/off, my question is, can someone tell me what color or what location of the wiring harness is the dash and parking lights are? I am just going to hook them both to a toggle switch, but can not trace them down, any one know? thanks in advance
Old 11-07-2010, 04:13 PM

btw

its an 86 btw
Old 11-07-2010, 04:33 PM

Do you have tail lights and/or brake lights?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM

I Have brake light, and rear blinker, but no parking or driving lights, and no dash lights, everything else is working, blinkers,flashers,reverse lights, headlights, just no front corner lights, no rear marker lights, and no dash, thanks in advance, all fuses and from what i can tell all the wires look good, new bulbs all around also
Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 PM

anyone? maybe someone could tell me if the dash and parking lights are, only on when they are grounded? found one wire from the dash harnes that powered off, when i turn the switch off, went from 12-13 volts, to 0 when I turned on the lights? thanks in advance ANY help is appreciated
Old 11-11-2010, 11:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Did this problem just start??

Have you added any Electrical devices that may have caused this??

I would look real close at the fuse for this circuit . I have seen the contacts forced apart by aftermarket blade connections. if this circuit is not grounded it will also not work.

There will be a green wire out of the tail light fuse .

I would fix this by finding out what the problem is .

If you decide to feed this from the battery make sure to put a fuse in the circuit at the least melted wires at the worst a cooked truck.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:13 AM

bought the truck as a project, has set for probably 10 years, Ive checked all the grounds, cleaned up the rear buckets, has all new front lenses/lights, Im thinking its in my colum swich somewhere? replaced all the fuses, everything else seems to work except the dash and running lights, Im not getting any power from any of the wires coming from the colum when I turn the switch, anyone know what color of wire runs to the dash lights? thanks
Old 11-12-2010, 05:48 PM

figured it out, dont know where my problem is exacally, but, I found which wires I needed, a red/green one turns on the dash lights, and a green/red turned on all my marker lights (the one under the passanger side seat, and Im pulling the dash lights from my dimmer switch,
Old 11-13-2010, 01:08 PM

I am having this SAME exact problem. I think it's some coincidence with my body lift that I installed (yesterday) right before the problem began. I'm going to check the fuse as soon as I can figure out which one it is. I'm also looking for ground wires that might have come loose. When I turn the switch on the colomn, I can here the relay flicking on and off. But either way, I still have the SAME EXACT problem you are having.

I'll let you know how it goes if/when I fix it.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:56 PM

If you could let me know as well. My truck sat for about 3 years without turning the lights on or off. Now i just have brake lights and turn signal lights. No dash lights either. They worked before. Let me know what your solution is.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:06 PM

Bump
Old 11-14-2010, 09:57 AM

I checked all my fuses and they were all good. I think my problem is a ground strap somewhere. But I do believe the running lights and dash lights are all together the same thing. I can here my relay clicking when i try to turn on the running lights, idk if you can. Anyways, I think we have the same problem for different reasons. If/when I solve my problem, regaurdless of the cause, I'll let you know.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by B4Runner
I checked all my fuses and they were all good. I think my problem is a ground strap somewhere. But I do believe the running lights and dash lights are all together the same thing. I can here my relay clicking when i try to turn on the running lights, idk if you can. Anyways, I think we have the same problem for different reasons. If/when I solve my problem, regaurdless of the cause, I'll let you know.
Did you ever solve the problem? I think I'm having a ground issue as well. Everything worked fine earlier in the day then later none of the interior lights, dome light, rear cargo light, climate control lights, dash lights, and then parking and tail lights. With my research on here it looks like at least the dash and running lights are on the same circuit, I'm going to assume so are the dome lights but I don't know where the ground is for the circuit and was hoping you may have found it if you found your problem! It worked earlier and I opened the tailgate to unload groceries then closed it then I opened it and put a bike in it and closed it then when I went to get in the dome didn't come on and then neither did the rest of the lights. I think I may have rattled something loose, just not sure where.