Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Wiper motor/linkage problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wiper motor/linkage problem

My wipers have been moving slow and the other day the stopped working altogether for a while, then started working again.

I'm trying to remove the motor so I can check the bushings and maybe clean and lube the linkage but how do I remove the motor from the linkage? I've removed the 4 bolts that hold the motor to the firewall but can't see how the motor is held to the linkage.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
it is a "ball stud" .. just pops off with a little pressure

Old 03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

So just pull the motor out?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:58 PM

I use a screw driver , between the motor arm and linkage , and just give it a "twist" as your pulling the motor , to pop off the linkage

Old 03-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Ok thanks, is it hard to reconnect it?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 AM

nope , just snaps back on

Old 03-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had that problem a few times... you don't need to remove the motor entirely from the linkage... with the wiper arms off spray some LPS2 lubricant (or similar) into the arm mounts this is a common area for biding to occur... do the same to the ball mount motor link... re-attach the gear box to the fire wall... unplug the motor and open the gear box {3 Phillips head screws} carefully remove the cover and spray the lubricant into the worm drive gear/motor and reattach... plug it in again and turn on the wipers and spray more lubricant into the wiper mount studs... this may take several applications til the you see the "studs" begin to move at a normal speed. If it is really bad you may have to remove the cowl and lubricate the whole linkage assembly... use white lithium if it comes to this.
Last time I did this [about 4 weeks ago] it took a lot of lube on the studs to get them to free up.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

I had that problem a few times... you don't need to remove the motor entirely from the linkage... with the wiper arms off spray some LPS2 lubricant (or similar) into the arm mounts this is a common area for biding to occur... do the same to the ball mount motor link... re-attach the gear box to the fire wall... unplug the motor and open the gear box {3 Phillips head screws} carefully remove the cover and spray the lubricant into the worm drive gear/motor and reattach... plug it in again and turn on the wipers and spray more lubricant into the wiper mount studs... this may take several applications til the you see the "studs" begin to move at a normal speed. If it is really bad you may have to remove the cowl and lubricate the whole linkage assembly... use white lithium if it comes to this.
It will take a lot of LPS but they will free up... lubing the worm gear/motor seemed to make the biggest difference fwiw.

Last edited by aviator; 03-05-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Great, thanks guys! I already removed the cowl to see what was going on in there. Didn't work on it today, maybe tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Well if you got the cowl off already clean it good and then white lithium all the joints and you should have years of trouble free wiping...
Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aviator
Well if you got the cowl off already clean it good and then white lithium all the joints and you should have years of trouble free wiping...
That's what I was thinking too, I'll take some pics and pay it forward. Thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Just to update this; the cleaning and lubing the linkage do not solve my problem. I had to replace the motor to fix it.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Exclamation Need assistance: Wiper motor replacement

My BF was "trying to fix" some issues on our 93 Toy Ext, 22 re, 4x4, 4 cyl. After 3 days of getting no where, I told him to back off and don't "Mad Dog" me while I do it.
Had to clean the contacts on the hi/lo switch, blew out all the dust and guck while I was there (BF cracked part of the steering column cover and was totally stumped on how to get the steering wheel off) got it fixed, they work like a charm..........
NOW, I have to replace the wiper motor. Have the Hayne's Manual
BF pulled the old one off, but can't get the new one on. I'm in charge now.
So, I don't pull the vent and cowl, and the wipers? I just push the new motor back into that brass nut thing?

I don't know the names of all the parts, but I've been fixing my own vehicles for over 20 years.
1st post....
PS. thinking the old motor is gucked up cause it'll run for about a minute and blow the 20 amp fuse. Already got the new one so not going to mess with the old one, just keep it on the shelve, just in case.
LOVE my TOY!!!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bernina
So, I don't pull the vent and cowl, and the wipers? I just push the new motor back into that brass nut thing?

Leave the vent and cowl in place, but I pulled the wipers off so I could get to the attachment point of the motor easier. With the wipers off the arm will move out and around more.

One tip is to plug in the new motor and run it a full cycle and let it stop on its own...ie don't pull the plug off in a mid-cycle position. You will have to ground the motor somehow to get it to run.

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-04-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Leave the vent and cowl in place, but I pulled the wipers off so I could get to the attachment point of the motor easier. With the wipers off the arm will move out and around more.

One tip is to plug in the new motor and run it a full cycle and let it stop on its own...ie don't pull the plug off in a mid-cycle position. You will have to ground the motor somehow to get it to run.
Ok, mt-goat: This is what I'm dealing with, BF left the wiper motor and the horn just hanging in the truck yesterday and my son took it out...major stupidity for leaving it there and not telling my son.
Here's the pics of the brass colored plate the motor goes into and the motor "stem" ( ? ) that fits into it. The brass thing does not have any splins, gooves etc., on it, do I need some type of fitting on the back side to hold the stem thing in place? Sorry, I not more tech specific.
Urgh, I keep getting upload errors. Does the brass colored piece have play in it?
Old 08-04-2013, 01:59 PM

Wiper motor/linkage problem-toy1.jpg

Wiper motor/linkage problem-toy2.jpg
This piece is not firmly attached to anything under the cowl (I assume). Did my BF just yank the thing out or is it supposed to be that way. I'm feeling pretty stupid because I can only ask him what he did, he's a tool thrower so I don't stick around.

Last edited by Bernina; 08-04-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Type, resize pics
Old 08-04-2013, 02:08 PM

Just re-read your reply.....yes, the wiper arms are off.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

If I remember correctly (IIRC), I was careful to "clock" the arm (brass colored plate) on the new motor the same as the old one. If you didn't do that you might have to work at it to get the wipers to stop in the right spot.

That arm (brass colored plate) has a ball on the back side that fits into a socket on the wiper linkage. You can remove that ball by popping it out of the socket and latter pushing it back together for reassembly.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bernina
...The brass thing does not have any splins, gooves etc., on it, do I need some type of fitting on the back side to hold the stem thing in place? ...
The motor stem has splines on it and just a nut for the back of the arm IIRC.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
If I remember correctly (IIRC), I was careful to "clock" the arm (brass colored plate) on the new motor the same as the old one. If you didn't do that you might have to work at it to get the wipers to stop in the right spot.

That arm (brass colored plate) has a ball on the back side that fits into a socket on the wiper linkage. You can remove that ball by popping it out of the socket and latter pushing it back together for reassembly.
I just came in from putting back together the lower dash and steering column covers and the steering wheel. My frustration level is shot, missing screws, busted fastener holes, so the covering around the steering column isn't secure to the column, and the ball behind the windshield arm is AWOL. BF was a airplane mechanic in Viet Nam, but he should be banned from touching vehicles. Dumber than a box of rocks
I had ordered some replacement parts 2 days ago that I needed but at this point, I'm just a bit feed up with BF's total disregard for screwing that truck up.
Replacing the tailgate and the back len's that he smashed.......I gotta chill.

Thanks so much for your help, mt_goat! Either I'm going to have to pull the vent and cowl off to see if I can locate that ball or rig something.

Quick Reply: Wiper motor/linkage problem