Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Windshield wiper issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield wiper issues

Hey guys
I need some more help with my new to me toyota (92 4x4 pickup 3.0L).

windshield wipers worked for the first 2 weeks I had my truck, I went to use them the other day and they would not work.

I checked the fused box, and the fuse was blown, so i replaced the fuse. Now the damn wipers wont turn off. The wiper stay on medium speed wether the switch is in the off, slow, or medium speed, but run at high speed when in the high position.

Thinking it might be a bad ground somewhere in the motor, i went to the local pick a part, and found another one, but it is doing the same thing so my next step is the switch.

Is there any way to test the switch before i go buy a new one? I have run across a couple for 90-95 4 runners with the rear wiper control in them, will this work in my 92 truck with no rear wiper? are the multipins the same?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Steven
Old 02-10-2010, 10:01 AM

any one have any info on this? I could really use some help before wasting money on parts that might now work.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2010, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
unplug the switch and see if the wipers still stay on.

if you unplug the switch and the wipers stay on, you kno it is NOT the switch.

if you unplug the switch an the wipers STOP, you kno it is the switch.

eh?

now i dont kno if the switches interchange..

but my 86runner switch interchanged with an 84 pick up switch..... so im gna guess it might work?? idk tho becuz my rear wiper and front wiper switches are 2 seperate switches. by what your saying they are all in the same switch??
Old 02-12-2010, 08:19 PM

ok spent about 4 hrs working on this today,

First step I unplugged the switch and the wipers stop.

So i went back to the local pick a part and pulled the wiper/headlight switch assembly out of a 94 4 runner, it has the extra rear window wiper switch in it, but it still used the same molex, so i bought it.

When i plugged it in same issue, would always run at medium speed, but high speed worked correctly.

So i have concluded that it is not the motor and not the switch, the only thing left is the wiring harness.

I have a Haynes Manual with the wiring diagram for the wiper system.
I verified the wiring looked correct according to the manual. Next i checked for continuity between the motor and the switch molex. Continuity was good between all 4 of the wires, and nothing was grounding to the chassis.

any other ideas?

As a temporary fix, I put a switch in line on the wiper motor ground and that allows me to just break the ground between the motor and chassis stopping the motor. I would really like to get this fixed, i'm about ready to just take it to the a local mechanic and see if he can get it figured out.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:20 AM

Sounds like a short. Although, you might measure the variances in voltages in the wires that go to the wiper motor when the switch is in different positions to check the function of the switch. Might help you determine which wire is shorted.

If you do take it to someone, take it to someone who specializes in electrical issues.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:09 PM

been doing some searching and stumbled on your wiper issue... i could sure use your help, and hoping that you figured out your problem and found a solution... my alt fried and did the exact same thing to me... smoked fuze and when replaced or not they run non stop. same speed issue and all... hope you may be able to help me... thank u...
Old 03-10-2012, 05:51 AM

This problem semi fixed itself, I was up at pismo running around on the beach about a month after this issue started and they were working correctly. To this day it is hit and miss, the truck is off road only these days so I am not to worried about it. The ground switch is still in there as a fall back in case it starts doing it again, but it hasn't in the last year or so.

On another note, I know mine is moisture related. If I drive through a puddle or something and the engine compartment gets water in it, it will short. I have tried filling the plugs with dielectric grease, and it seemed to help a bit, but it is still not the answer.

Like I said perviously, I have replaced the switch in the column and the wiper motor, so the issue has to be somewhere in the harness
Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 AM

ok thanks for the info ill tear it apart and figure it out.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
The problem is probably the "stop position" switch in the motor. http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...e/wiperand.pdf Because of the way it is wired, sbarnestva's problem is probably in the wiper motor, not the harness.

The stop position switch allows the wiper to return to the home position after you turn the switch off. If that switch doesn't open at the home position, the wiper never believes it has arrived there.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 PM

he replaced motor and switch and months later it stopped months later.... mine i think was caused by the over charging issue.... tore into it a little bit today and tested motor..... everything good there. if i unplug the switch it will stop but doesent mean its the switch... do u know of any controle moduel or relay between the switch and motor. or happen to have a chiltons....