Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Winch w/ stock bumper and header gasket questions helllpp!!!!

Old 12-27-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winch w/ stock bumper and header gasket questions helllpp!!!!

So I've used the search button with no help In sight for ether of my questions
A: can I install a winch behind my stock bumper?
From what I read on what came up with the search button was no, have to have a body lift, or just buy a actual bumper. I would like to keep it hidden and have a wow factor and have people I go wheelin with say I had no idea he had a winch!??!
Do can someone please send me a link or a website that could help me out or some one who has done this or know of someone who did this point me in the right direction.

And my next question
When installing headers on a 3.0 is it possible to use stock exhaust manifold gaskets or do they have to be actual header gaskets?

And one more guys
What are the benifets of doing the egr/reed valve delete when using headers on a 3.0
Thanks if you read this post I could use some info and help other than my buddy who's a jeep guy thanks
Old 12-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Pretty sure there's not enough room behind those factory bumpers to "hide" a winch.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I like the rimflex gaskets but have no experience with a 3.0.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I would need winch dimensions to say for sure .

I am sure you know one does not just mount a winch some reinforcement of the mounting area is really needed unless it is just for show and will never work.

Then the winch would also need to be mounted really low if this is really what you want to do.

You could move the stock bumper front enough but that would let your secret out of the bag.

Most times header gaskets are nothing like exhaust manifold gaskets. not being a 3.0 person I can`t say if they would work.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Was a guy on pirate that mounted the winch to the floor of passenger seat. He ran tubing both fore and aft so one winch could do front and rear pulls. You'd have to search seems he had a descent write up. Even addressed the leg room issue. Don't remember specifics as its been years since I saw it.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the response guys I really need to measure the space I have and then go and see which winches are in the ballpark of what I need
The info on my runner is 4 inch ifs with a 3inch body lift on 35s

And on the headers.... Since the stock manifold gaskets have the heat shield flap, can I just flip it upside down? Or just cut off the flap? I mean the gaskets are new no sense in wasting a new pair. Right?
Old 02-08-2015, 08:58 PM

Alright guys update time, so I installed the headers did the reed valve delete and the egr I also got the rimfelx gasket thanks muddpigg awsome gasket highly recommend it I also used the stock nuts and bolts I went to work on my day off and grabed a few more stock exhaust bolts and a supra non turbo afm and richended it by 6 theeth now it sounds awesome I still haven't tooken it on a long ride because it's not regged but it dose sound killer with just headers