Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Winch + Accessories - am i missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winch + Accessories - am i missing anything?

Okay, now that i have my TJM bumper it is time to start shopping for the winch and all the goodies. Below is the list of things i am planning on purchasing, and i was wondering if there was anything that needs to be added, or reconsidered? I don't plan on using the winch on a regular basis, but want it there for when i eventually get stupider than my truck can handle.

- Warn M8000 Self-Recovery winch. I figure this should be enough of a winch for me, especially when used with the snatch block (i'm a patient person, so line speed shouldn't be a big deal)
- 5/16" x 100' Synthetic winch line
- hawse fairlead. Want this mostly because it doesn't stick out nearly as far as the roller (plus i can sell the roller to recoup some of the cost). Is $40 about average for these things?
- Safety Thimble
- snatch block
- 3/4" shackle (with hitch so i can yank from the rear when necessary)
- tree saver

So, if you see anything that i may want to re-think, or know of anything that i shouldn't leave the house without, let me know.
Also - I asked in another thread, but didn't get any responses from stock 3.0 owners: where are you mounting the solenoid box??

Thanks guys!

Last edited by tombothetominator; 06-12-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 AM

A good pair of gloves,and you could score some more snatch blocks,with enough snatch blocks you can move you vehicle in almost any direction,when needed. I would mount the solenoid box behind the battery/fues box in the engine compartment if possible. Out of the way of damage and limited water exposure. Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by jagger_snitt
A good pair of gloves,and you could score some more snatch blocks,with enough snatch blocks you can move you vehicle in almost any direction,when needed. I would mount the solenoid box behind the battery/fues box in the engine compartment if possible. Out of the way of damage and limited water exposure. Hope this helps.
Ahh...gloves: good call. xtra snatch blocks: also good call. As for mounting the solenoids behind the fusebox - on the 3.0 there is a whole gaggle of vaccuum lines back there, so space is pretty limited, but may be doable. Does anybody with a 3.0 have pics of where they mounted theirs?

Thanks for the suggestions jagger!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Print this out to keep in the rig.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 AM

no prob,On my 87 the previous owener mounted the solenoid there,
It has been a while since I've looked at the 3.0 engine bay.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd get some extra shackles. Work well for hooking lines to rigs, rigs to lines... and various other purposes.

Might try this site:
http://www.winchline.com/

They sell the line with thimble installed. I got my line from them (with thimble) and have been very happy. They also seem to have the receiver shackle and fairlead you mentioned.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Corey - saw that in the wiki section, good info to have.
Elvota - thanks for the link, i may go there for the line (save me some time on putting the thimble on and i know it is done right). They seem to be more expensive for everything though...
Where did you mount your solenoid box (since i see 3.0 in the sig)?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvota
I'd get some extra shackles. Work well for hooking lines to rigs, rigs to lines... and various other purposes.

Might try this site:
http://www.winchline.com/

They sell the line with thimble installed. I got my line from them (with thimble) and have been very happy. They also seem to have the receiver shackle and fairlead you mentioned.
Good call on the extra shackles, I carry one on the safety thimble full time.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/yotatech/5year/corey4.jpg

And I carry one on the rear hitch full time, and about 4 extra in my Warn recovery kit.

I bought the winchline with the thimble installed, as I suck at doing anything with rope.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:21 PM

Cool, will definately get some extra shackles. Any other recomendations?

Last edited by tombothetominator; 06-12-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tombothetominator
Elvota - thanks for the link, i may go there for the line (save me some time on putting the thimble on and i know it is done right). They seem to be more expensive for everything though...
Where did you mount your solenoid box (since i see 3.0 in the sig)?
I gave some pics of my solenoid box location in your other thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/where-did-you-mount-your-winch-solenoid-box-117376/

I compared costs for a while, but settled on those guys for various reasons. As Corey stated, make sure you know exactly what you are doing if you wish to install a safety thimble on synthetic line.

I never put that much thought into it until I was actually using my winch to get up an obstacle. You definitely don't want that line to snap or come loose while your extracting or climbing. For safety alone... plus what do you do if it snaps and your only half out or half up what's in your way?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:36 PM

That's right, modded airbox location. Didn't even realize it was you that had posted over there.

I definately like the idea of getting the line with the thimble already on it, so will probably buy that from them, and go elsewhere for the rest of it. I am going to end up drawing out all the purchases over the next few months so that my wife and my wallet dont get too mad at me.

Thanks for the great info guys!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:12 PM

Anybody have a source for snatch blocks at aren't $60?
I see these on ebay, anybody used these more generic snatch blocks?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Sky makes two fairleads, relatively cheap, and no logo stamped or machined on the front. Click the "accessories" tab to learn more:
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/

This is an obvious tip... don't forget to feed the line through the fairlead and bumper before attaching it to your winch. In other words, don't pre-spool the line before you mount the winch to the bumper... or the safety thimble won't fit through anything and you'll have to start all over.

Told you it was obvious.. but easy enough to miss.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:18 PM

Hmmm... they also have UHMW fairleads... never seen those before. Anybody have any experience with those?

And thanks for the tip on mounting the line. That is totally the type of thing that i would do.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

UHMV... I have hear they can actually melt if your line is on them to hard for to long. Lot's of friction. However, the arguments for UHMV on the Sky website seem to make sense.

That said, my Sky aluminum fairlead has been working perfectly for me so far. Their UHMV option was not available at the time I got mine.

Maybe search YT for a UHMV fairlead review or Google the term to see what others results have been. Then post your findings back here so lazy guys like myself can learn something new.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:58 AM

In regards to UHMW Hawse Fairleads:
- i found that there is not a ton of info out there
- what info i did find was generally people quoting the manufacturer
- i did find a few first hand accounts of people running them
-- Everybody says that they work great with synthetic rope (since synthetic rope is created from a uhmw base?) so there is very little friction created between the fairlead and the rope when using synthetic.
-- They are lighter than the aluminum hawses (though i can't imagine by a whole lot)
-- Minor nicks/damage to the fairlead are not as likely to damage the rope when winching as it is with a damaged aluminum one (this makes sense to me)
-- Even though the manufacturer generally states that it can be used with steel cable, most people seem to be wary of the combination due to heat concerns, and there are 2 or 3 guys who have said that they have seen the fairlead melt on hard/heavy pulls w/ steel cable

So, i think i'll go ahead and be a guinea pig for this, and get one. It's a little cheaper (which means i can buy another shackle!) and sounds like a decent combo with synthetic rope.