Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

will this lift work

Old 10-24-2007, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will this lift work

hey guys,
im fixing to purchase my lift for my 93 4 runner, and im looking at going 3.5'' springs in the rear and a 1.5'' bj spacer and 1'' T-bar crank..... will that stagered set up work? thanks ..... also will i HAVE to have anything else, like the panhard drop bracket or anything? thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Why are you going to crank the Tbar? What's the purpose of your lift? for what size tires?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It will work. If you only wheel moderately, you'll be okay. If you wheel harder, you will destroy steering. A lot.

The only thing you NEED is an alignment after the lift. A diff drop couldn't hurt though.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You may need something for the panhard bar, if the stock setup ends up pulling your axle too far to the passenger side. Either a drop bracket for the frame or axle, or a lengthened bar.
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...anhardDropBrkt

OK to have some difference in height front-rear. Rear wheel wells are cut lower than the fronts, so even sitting perfectly level, the rear will appear to be lower. Also, the rear springs will settle over time as they break in, so in six months or so, you'll lose an inch or more in back from what you start with.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:49 AM

just the answers i was looking for.... as for lift purpose, im going 33's and yea i will only do some moderate wheeling, nothing big time. thanks ya'll
Old 10-25-2007, 07:14 AM

When you say that the 1.5" BJ spacers & the Tbar crank will kill your steering, what do you mean? Also, what type of wheeling do you have to do for this to happen? I'm considering a similar set-up in the springs.

thanks in advance,

jeff
Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cchilders13
just the answers i was looking for.... as for lift purpose, im going 33's and yea i will only do some moderate wheeling, nothing big time. thanks ya'll
Ah ok.. well from all I've learned here, you can fit 33's w/out cranking the t-bars or bj spacers. It could help, but if you do the bj spacers, I've read to leave the bars stock.

Originally Posted by frozenSurf
When you say that the 1.5" BJ spacers & the Tbar crank will kill your steering, what do you mean? Also, what type of wheeling do you have to do for this to happen? I'm considering a similar set-up in the springs.

thanks in advance,

jeff
It supposedly changes the angle of your cv joints and wears them out prematurely. Light off roading is ok w/this setup.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frozenSurf

thanks in advance,

jeff
Originally Posted by Djlarroc
It supposedly changes the angle of your cv joints and wears them out prematurely. Light off roading is ok w/this setup.

No. While that statement is true, it has nothing to do with the steering.

When you lift the front of these trucks, you change the angle of the tierods to the center link. This causes almost immediate idler arm bending with any serious bump.

I have BJ spacers, and relaxed my tbars down so that my truck is back at stock height. This gives me full flex and a nicer ride. I have 33's. To date, I have broken: 6 idler arms, 1 centerlink, 4 tierod adjusting sleeves, 1 steering stablaizer, and 1 tierod. Only the adjusting sleves have failed outright on the trail. Everything else i was able to limp home on, or change at the trail head. All breakage was done prior to the tbar relax. Since then, I have broken nothing.

What type of wheeling is a difficult question to answer, as it will vary depending on area of the country. Out here, it is the rocks. For reference, I have 33 inch tires, dual arbs, 4.7 case, 4.88's, belly pan, xcase skid, front and rear bumpers and sliders. I use everything very hard. I do not consider what i drive to be Hardcore, or rock crawling, i consider it difficult wheeling.

Before his SAS, a good friend of mine was running a very similar set up on his 95, except he had 5.29's, dual cases, dual arbs, and a 3.4. He also broke axles right and left, but broke even more steering than I did. He did rockcrawl his IFS, and it worked pretty well, but also frequently took craps.

Last edited by AxleIke; 10-25-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
No. While that statement is true, it has nothing to do with the steering.

When you lift the front of these trucks, you change the angle of the tierods to the center link. This causes almost immediate idler arm bending with any serious bump.

I have BJ spacers, and relaxed my tbars down so that my truck is back at stock height. This gives me full flex and a nicer ride. I have 33's. To date, I have broken: 6 idler arms, 1 centerlink, 4 tierod adjusting sleeves, 1 steering stablaizer, and 1 tierod. Only the adjusting sleves have failed outright on the trail. Everything else i was able to limp home on, or change at the trail head. All breakage was done prior to the tbar relax. Since then, I have broken nothing.

What type of wheeling is a difficult question to answer, as it will vary depending on area of the country. Out here, it is the rocks. For reference, I have 33 inch tires, dual arbs, 4.7 case, 4.88's, belly pan, xcase skid, front and rear bumpers and sliders. I use everything very hard. I do not consider what i drive to be Hardcore, or rock crawling, i consider it difficult wheeling.

Before his SAS, a good friend of mine was running a very similar set up on his 95, except he had 5.29's, dual cases, dual arbs, and a 3.4. He also broke axles right and left, but broke even more steering than I did. He did rockcrawl his IFS, and it worked pretty well, but also frequently took craps.
I didn't mention anything about the steering, but I know changing the angles of your cv axles wears them out prematurely. If I get bj spacers, I'll also do the same and relax the t-bars for whatever flex I can gain and protect the axles.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

You didn't, but the guy you quoted asked how the steering was affected. As I said, your statement was correct, but it didn't answer his question. Not picking, just clarifying.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

No problem. Glad you mentioned relaxing the t-bars since I forgot that, and I think that is a smart thing to do. Especially if someone is only trying to fit 33's.