Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wierdest thing - Engine dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierdest thing - Engine dies

OKay so yesterday morning I jump in the 94 4runner and fill 'er up to the brim with fuel. Then go to Wal Mart - clear across town - and get my first full synthetic oil change done with Mobile 1 for $31. As I drive out of the Wal Mart parking lot, I stop to change Cd's in the CD player (and no I dont think its cuz I changed Johnny Cash to the new Enya album) and the engine stops. I crank on her, and the engine is turning over faster than usual. I immediately think I threw the timing belt - which was replaced by the dealership 2 weeks ago. Then I wonder if I did something wrong when I pulled the plenum off last week to change the heater hoses. At any rate, she aint goin no where.

Luckily I have some cool neighbors, who are convinced Ive been cursed to take me home. Later that day my step dad and I go back out there and test the spark...nothing. Shes getting fuel and air, but no fire. We say ˟˟˟˟˟ it and leave.

This morning I call my mechanic, they send a wrecker out to pick it up and I walk to there shop to deliver the keys. This afternoon they call and say "Mr. Welborn, your truck started right up and has been running just fine for the passed 20 minutes.

They do a full scale diagnostics on the electrical system and find nothing wrong with her. I just called them at 5pm and they said still nothing, shes still purring like a kitten out there. They are going to keep it over night and see if anything changes in the morning. If nothing changes, I will pick it up and pay them the easiest $140 they've ever made.

Im trying to figure out what Voo-doo magic person I pissed off.

Completely off topic, but anpother bad luck thing that happened the day before yesterday, I started my new R/C airplane for the first time, and accidentally ran my pinkie through the prop (luckily she was idling) and have 4 beautiful cuts adorning the side of my hand.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it could be bad gas it happens a lot durring this time of year. last year my truck would have a hard time starting when i mixed diffrent kinds of gas.

i stay away from cheap gas...only sunoco for me..well and because my dad owns a station.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

I'm gonna have to run with your offtopic part of this thread. When I was 15 and just getting into RC planes I reached right through the prop of an O.S. 25 running wide open to adjust the mixture. It left 12 perfectly spaced slices on each finger. The cuts didn't hurt nearly as much as the bone did. It didnt' break anything but sure felt like it. That's the last time I EVER did that. I still fly to this day and have only been bitten one other time just barely on my knuckle since then. Good luck with your truck. I hate when crap like that happens because you never know when it's going to happen again.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Something similar happened to me except mine did not die on me when I was driving it.I ended up trying to jump it from several sources and buying a new battery, starter, terminals, replacing some wires, ect... and it still would not start although we could push start it. Then just for fun we hooked up a jump box to my brand new battery and it started and has not had a problem since.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't their a relay that Toyota has problems with that causes this? I can't remember the name of the relay, I think it was a circuit relay or something.

James
Old 01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't really study up on it much just because it started working again flawlessly. If you find out then let us know though. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UKMyers
I'm gonna have to run with your offtopic part of this thread. When I was 15 and just getting into RC planes I reached right through the prop of an O.S. 25 running wide open to adjust the mixture. It left 12 perfectly spaced slices on each finger. The cuts didn't hurt nearly as much as the bone did. It didnt' break anything but sure felt like it. That's the last time I EVER did that. I still fly to this day and have only been bitten one other time just barely on my knuckle since then. Good luck with your truck. I hate when crap like that happens because you never know when it's going to happen again.
Its crazy how much power those lil motors have to them. I have a whole new respect fot them now.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Banned

Ill let you guys know if they find anything tomorrow. If not, I guess Ill drive it around until the next time it decides to quit on me.

BTW, I hadnt considered this before, but I think the reason the engine was turning over faster than usual was because of the synthetic oil in it...its the only thing that was changed and I had never used it before then. If thats the case, it means that the engine friction was reduced enough that the starter actually turns the engine quicker. Thats amazing. No more dinosaur juice for me.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:34 PM

Cool

My IMAA Cap232. I've been bitten twice by that Saito 180 starting it without a chicken stick that was left at home. Gotta love the big glow 4cycles... Too much compression to start forwards, so you bounce them backwards - they'll hit their monstor compression ratio & flip forewards fast enough to fire LoL! I assure you, the trailing edge of an APC prop is not something you want to get aqquanted with...

Since it was spinning very fast, probably an entire electrical system lost it, but you've got me.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:37 PM

Cool

It wouldn't be the oil. Synthetic lubricates better, but doesn't gain very much.
To gain power, or speed. You have to drop your viscosity a lot.