86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wierd clutch problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd clutch problem...

Leaving work today, pulled out of the parking spot and noticed my truck started to kinda jump like it was coming out of gear in first, then second, then third. I stopped at a stop sign, started over again and it did the same thing, until I was up to 4th and had no clutch at all. I pulled over, opened the hood and saw no clutch fluid in the resevour. Looked under truck, around the clutch lines I could see, and saw no wet areas. So I went to the store, luckaly across the street, and got some fluid, put it in, and went on my way. The rest of the way home the clutch worked, but was a little soft, almost felt like there was air in the lines, which I'm thinking there is because it was dry before I added some, so air probably got in the lines. BUT, where did the fluid go? About an hour after I got home, the fluid was still full and I still couldnt find any areas that were wet. I traced some lines from the clutch and couldnt find any breaks or signs of a leak......
Before this, I have had no problems with the clutch. I do need a new throughout bearing (it squeaks when in neutral without clutch engaged), and was going to replace the clutch while doing this maybe next spring....would this have anything to do with it?
So now tomorrow hopefully I can just bleed the line and hope that it fixes it? But where did it go? Anyone have any thoughts? I'm confused....Thanks.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:01 PM

You'll definitely need to bleed those lines. .. As for where it went, who knows. It may be hiding in a dust boot.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine did this two but it leaked so bad that i went though a litre of fluid in 10 miles of freeway driving ouch but mine was a crack in the bottle thingy on the fire wall check it out you might have the cracky wooos too but its just a 19 mil and about a bucj at the fun yard hope it helps you a lil
Old 10-31-2007, 04:38 PM

Weird that you cant see where it goes. Brake fluid is corrosive to paint so keep an eye out for any areas near the lines or hydraulics with missing paint, that would be your problem area. If the problem persists or you keep loosing it i would go pick up a cheap blacklight and some die. Squirt a little die in the fluid then use the blacklight a couple days later and see where its leakin
Old 10-31-2007, 05:23 PM

The plunger rod gasket on the clutch master cylinder may be bad. Look inside the cab around your foot rest. If there is brake fluid on the foot rest or surrounding carpet that is an indicator. Happened to me. To find the plunger rod and rubber grommet, look under the dash. It connects to the clutch pedal and leads horizontally through the firewall. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robhick02
The plunger rod gasket on the clutch master cylinder may be bad.
Say what?

If there is fluid leaking from the area where the clutch master cylinder push rod is under the dash, it is because the master cylinder itself is leaking.

another likely spot to find a leak is the clutch hydraulic hose, which on a V6 4Runner is located on the pasenger side of the firewall just beside the engine. They are prone to leaking there and it's easy to miss.