Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Why does IFS have inconsistant flex/droop? (W/ pix)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does IFS have inconsistant flex/droop? (W/ pix)

I want to build both an IFS rig to jump/ rail on and an older solid axle to wheel.

I just got this 93 with IFS and have been messing around with its "capabilities". I have also been doing alot of searching on the forum over the past 6 months and finally joined to ask a few questions. I know there are older threads on IFS but I want to start somthing new.

Question 1- Why does IFS flex/ droop inconsistant?

This is what I mean, Photo number 1 and 2 show almost zero flex/ droop (sway bar disconnected)

Photo 3 and 4 show the front "trying" to flex. Its not much but its just enough in "some" occations to keep just enough traction to "make it"

....More questions to come......
Old 11-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
it all depends on the angle the truck is tilting on, and how much the rear is flexing as well

it's kinda hard to explain...

notice how in the first two pics, the rear is sitting on semi-level ground, and the front is on "obsticles", causing the truck to lean, which is then flexing the rear; since the truck is just leaning over and pivoting on the rear, the front isn't flexing much

now in the last two, the rear AND the font is on "obsitcles", and they're both flexing

the IFS is going to be a bit stiffer and harder to flex than a solid axle; that's just the nature of the beast; if you drive up onto unlevel ground with just the front end, the truck is going to lean and flex the rear before the front starts to flex; but if the rear is already flexing, then the front has no choise but to flex, that is untill a tire comes off the ground

hope some of that made since

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-28-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:33 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Man I dont really know what to tell you except thats a cool little truck ..
Old 11-28-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
since the front suspension is stiffer its going to make the rear work more.

basically to get the front to flex, the rear needs to be flexed enough to where the spring is actually stiff/stiffer than the front. that will put more leverage on the front making it flex.

something along those lines
Old 11-28-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
..... the rear needs to be flexed enough to where the spring is actually stiff/stiffer than the front.....
Thanks guys, This really paints a picture for me.

I was just trying to figure out why I couldnt make it up this easy off camber hill at Tahuya. I tried at so many angles but no matter what I just couldnt do it ( im open front and rear). I was totally flexed in the rear but the front was soo stiff I just couldnt keep both rear wheels down.

QUESTION 2- What makes a bigger difference, BJ spacers or aftermarket Torsions? (in the event I cant go long travel soon enough).

I have read that you gain added angle with BJ spacers but you can also gain added angle by softer/larger diameter torsions. Wouldnt a larger torsion also handle (on the road) and flex ( more consistantly a specific spring rate vs starting out stiff and getting stiffer) better than a stock as well? But in return, if I did both mods I would "over flex" the acceptable working angle of the front axles.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i spy the south loop at Tahuya.......
Old 11-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tofer
i spy the south loop at Tahuya.......
Bingo- Im such a noob and with out solid axle/ winch/ lockers im very limited on where I can go. I have found a few places as long as I can out drive it, but Im still looking.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
softer/larger diameter torsions. Wouldnt a larger torsion also handle (on the road) and flex ( more consistantly a specific spring rate vs starting out stiff and getting stiffer) better than a stock as well?
I'm curious to this as well.. I've always thought that the larger 26mm t-bars that people upgrade too were stiffer, and to get a softer front end you'd need smaller diameter tbars.. Am I wrong on this?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd go balljoint spacers.
If you think about it, you can put em in, and relax the torsion bars to make the ride height what it was..
This makes the front softer (easier to flex) and it gives it a little bit more travel..
Old 11-28-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by blue_CA_yota
I've always thought that the larger 26mm t-bars that people upgrade too were stiffer
Dont they make different spring rates? ( I havent done much shopping, just thinkin)

Originally Posted by peow130
I'd go balljoint spacers.
If you think about it, you can put em in, and relax the torsion bars to make the ride height what it was..
This makes the front softer (easier to flex) and it gives it a little bit more travel..
I checked to see if I could relax them a little as is and there doesnt seem to be much threads sticking out of the adjuster nut. I could maybe get 2 turns out of it before it was below the nut. I dont want to be unsafe.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:57 PM

idk, aftermarket torsion bars tend to be thicker, and designed to have heavy bumpers on the front of your truck.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Subscribe to 4WD Toyota Owner or pic up the magazine at your local shop. It has been doing a series on IFS vs SFA and explains all of your questions and then some.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Say go bj spacers and then relax the torsion bars like stated above. It will give the front sus. Softer travel . Then get a rear locker and call it good
Old 11-29-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Subscribe to 4WD Toyota Owner or pic up the magazine at your local shop. It has been doing a series on IFS vs SFA and explains all of your questions and then some.

Thanks, I wouldnt have thought of that. Sounds like exactly what im looking for. I know im beating a dead horse with this IFS stuff but it gives me a reason to build another toy...

Originally Posted by 93yotaSR5
I Say go bj spacers and then relax the torsion bars like stated above. It will give the front sus. Softer travel . Then get a rear locker and call it good
Im in the works of getting a rear locker and re-educating myself with the toyota 8" 3rd so Im ready when I get it.

As for the BJ spacers. If I have a 4" lift already, what size should I go and what brand?

As for the torsions. Do I get a longer nut/ bolt combo for this task? The bolt is flush or maybe 1/16" sticking out of the nut. I dont know how much I can safely "relieve" the torsion. (also, does raising or lowering change the toe in/out and if so, what direction does what?)

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok get over to 4crawler and get his 1.5" BJ spacers

and yes you will need an alignment after you put them in..so put em in..adjust your torsion bars how ya like..then go get an alignment.

take the blocks out of the rear and put in some decent springs..like some marlin, trailgear, or all pro springs..or deaver..or ome..whatever you want...to make the rear flexy as well..

and honestly i wouldn't even go with BJ spacers or anything like that...just go straight for LT if that's what you're goin to do eventually..check out Blazeland.us

he's got some perrttyy good lookin stuff..and everybody that has seen his kit in person is in love with it..and they also say that it's VERY well built..there was a guy on here that ordered the kit and got it installed..he said it's amazing in every way!! and not only that..it's COMPLETELY bolt on!

just do a search on here for Blazeland and a whole host of threads will pop up!
Old 11-29-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
ok get over to 4crawler and get his 1.5" BJ spacers

and yes you will need an alignment after you put them in..so put em in..adjust your torsion bars how ya like..then go get an alignment.

take the blocks out of the rear and put in some decent springs..like some marlin, trailgear, or all pro springs..or deaver..or ome..whatever you want...to make the rear flexy as well..

and honestly i wouldn't even go with BJ spacers or anything like that...just go straight for LT if that's what you're goin to do eventually..check out Blazeland.us

he's got some perrttyy good lookin stuff..and everybody that has seen his kit in person is in love with it..and they also say that it's VERY well built..there was a guy on here that ordered the kit and got it installed..he said it's amazing in every way!! and not only that..it's COMPLETELY bolt on!

just do a search on here for Blazeland and a whole host of threads will pop up!

I plan to go LT but im liking all the ideas everyone is coming up with. How many people go LT on lifted rigs?

I also hope to set up the rear so I can be very well rounded too. Somthing that doesnt "dominate" in any one area, but does all better than stock with OUT major downfalls.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may have non-stock torsion bolts, or somethin. I have bj spacers now, but I think my front end flexed more than that before I installed 'em, and I have about an inch of threads showing above the nuts now, after I loosened them 8 turns when I installed the spacers.

Another thing to think about for going long travel...I was just up in Brown's camp and some of their trails have gatekeeper obstacles...one was rocks set in 2 lines, narrow enough that full widths couldn't make it. Another guy's Tacoma did, so maybe LT setups wouldn't quite make it too wide, but it's somethin to think about.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 PM

Not sure, but nice truck.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Slideshow86
I plan to go LT but im liking all the ideas everyone is coming up with. How many people go LT on lifted rigs?

I also hope to set up the rear so I can be very well rounded too. Somthing that doesnt "dominate" in any one area, but does all better than stock with OUT major downfalls.
when i get the money i'm going LT...
i don't crawl, so LT seems funner
Old 11-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
I thought I recognized your rig from NW Wheelers. Mmmmmmmm Tahuya!! Lots of good questions and good answers. I'm impressed. Nice lookin rig btw. Is that the Trailmaster lift kit?