Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Who's put together their own dual transfer cases?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who's put together their own dual transfer cases?

I'm gunna be getting a top shift transfer case tomorrow from a guy off craigslist, and I'm gunna order a Marlin MC07 dual adapter. Who's turned their stock t case into the crawl box with an adapter, how long did it take, how hard was it, and were there any specific tools needed? I wanna be able to put them together myself and not have to buy an already assembled crawl box to save me 250 bucks.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:50 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought mine used and already done, but lots of people have done it - there are several writeups showing everything step-by-step.

Both people I know who have done it (axleike and mrdoug) said it was a lot easier than they thought it would be.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by tc
I bought mine used and already done, but lots of people have done it - there are several writeups showing everything step-by-step.

Both people I know who have done it (axleike and mrdoug) said it was a lot easier than they thought it would be.
I think I could do it, it's just intimidating tearing apart something I have no experience with....and it's my dd so I need to be able to do it in a weekend preferably. I can use my dad's Jeep to drive around if I don't get it done in time, but it's not the best on gas...

One more question, while I have everythign all apart, I wanna replace the rear main seal and the transmission seal in the front (it's leaking really bad) what is that seal called? Transmission output seal or something?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Trail gear has excellent step by step pictoral guides on their website for 4.7 gears and dual case. Easily doable in a day.

Only real tool you might not have is an extra HD set of snap ring pliers, some good ones.

Use Toyota Red and the included gaskets to seal up the tcases.

Pretty straightforward job, just keep parts in order of removal for reassembly.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:48 PM

I heard or read that it is best to put the 4.7 gears in the rear box because it causes less strain on the box before it. just throwin that out there.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Trail gear has excellent step by step pictoral guides on their website for 4.7 gears and dual case. Easily doable in a day.

Only real tool you might not have is an extra HD set of snap ring pliers, some good ones.

Use Toyota Red and the included gaskets to seal up the tcases.

Pretty straightforward job, just keep parts in order of removal for reassembly.

I talked to a guy on the phone who just installed duals with the TG adapter, he said he had to go and get a bearing pressed out and he mentioned the big snap ring pliars. I'm just going with two stock 2.28's right now so no 4.7's in the rear right now I don't have the money for those right now...I'll get them later down the road

I don't have any experience with dual cases in my own vehicle and I know lot's of people run TG, but I don't think it stacks up to Marlins kit. What are your honest opinions? For another 70 bucks it might be worth the state of mind...

Originally Posted by swapped89
I heard or read that it is best to put the 4.7 gears in the rear box because it causes less strain on the box before it. just throwin that out there.
I've heard that too, but I've also read that it doesn't really matter either, I don't know where the article is off the top of my head, it's floating around pirate somewhere...like I said above, I don't plan on putting 4.7's in right now and if I was I'd put 'em in the rear case just to be sure though
Old 07-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
I talked to a guy on the phone who just installed duals with the TG adapter, he said he had to go and get a bearing pressed out and he mentioned the big snap ring pliars. I'm just going with two stock 2.28's right now so no 4.7's in the rear right now I don't have the money for those right now...I'll get them later down the road

I don't have any experience with dual cases in my own vehicle and I know lot's of people run TG, but I don't think it stacks up to Marlins kit. What are your honest opinions? For another 70 bucks it might be worth the state of mind...

I've heard that too, but I've also read that it doesn't really matter either, I don't know where the article is off the top of my head, it's floating around pirate somewhere...like I said above, I don't plan on putting 4.7's in right now and if I was I'd put 'em in the rear case just to be sure though
Like I said, read the installation instructions and look at the pictures.

Some folks swear by Chevy, some Ford, others Toyota. No different with dual case adapters.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Like I said, read the installation instructions and look at the pictures.

Some folks swear by Chevy, some Ford, others Toyota. No different with dual case adapters.

Ok so who's had good experience with TG's dual adapter? Wabbit?
Old 07-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Ok so who's had good experience with TG's dual adapter? Wabbit?
Ran mine at SE4RJ6 all weekend long and no problems. Up and down the interstate and around town, no problems.

I've sold dozens of them, no problems.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:59 AM

Well, I just ordered an MC07 so we'll see how this goes
Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Andrew, Let me know if you have any more questions once you get the case and the adapter. You've got my number still I assume.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Other than having the bearing pulled at a shop and the need for flippen huge snap ring pliers, I can only think of one other thing to mention.... The only tool I can think of that I didn't have, and had to improvise, was a long reach magnet, but tipping the trans/tcase sideways worked every time.

Last edited by JoKEpLaYeR; 07-17-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by JoKEpLaYeR
Hey Andrew, Let me know if you have any more questions once you get the case and the adapter. You've got my number still I assume.
Originally Posted by JoKEpLaYeR
Other than having the bearing pulled at a shop and the need for flippen huge snap ring pliers, I can only think of one other thing to mention.... The only tool I can think of that I didn't have, and had to improvise, was a long reach magnet, but tipping the trans/tcase sideways worked every time.
Oh, hey Steve, I didn't realize you were on here lol , yeah I've got your number still! Thanks for the help on the phone the other day! I've got a couple long reach mangnets so I think I should be good other wise on tools. I'm hoping my gf's dad has a big pair of snap ring pliers I can borrow for the install, and I'll just go to my local welding shop and see if they have a press to press the bearing off the shaft to get the gear I need. I watched the TG vid and read a couple sets of instructions and it doesn't look bad at all after getting that bearing pressed off and cutting the shift fork/grinding down the housing so the shift fork doesn't hit.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I got my box used but took it apart to make it topshift from forward. Not difficult, I'm running marlin as at the time Marlin only had the heavier bearings in it.

You mention a DD and that you need it down and up in the same day. Do you realize that your driveshafts need modified? When I put mine crawler in I had the same time restains to solve it I had a front shaft premade the extra 6.5" over all. If you still got the IFS the front D-shaft length hardly changes length as it is not connected to suspension like an SA rig. I got the long slip for when my rig is SAS'd.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by muddpigg; 07-17-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Oh and forgot to mention that I had to rotate my rear axle and run CV rear d-shaft too, its rather easy but something to prethink.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
some links you might find helpful--the T-G video is pretty good

Transfer Case Info
Transfer Case Rebuilding FSM PDF
Trail-Gears TC Videos:
t-case: http://www.trail-gear.com/videos/toy-tcase.wmv
Dual case: http://www.trail-gear.com/videos/toydualcase.wmv

been daily Driving my T-G adapter w/4.7's in rear case for a few months now..other than some gear noise (gutted the interior at the same time) --no issues

Last edited by dropzone; 07-17-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
I got my box used but took it apart to make it topshift from forward. Not difficult, I'm running marlin as at the time Marlin only had the heavier bearings in it.

You mention a DD and that you need it down and up in the same day. Do you realize that your driveshafts need modified? When I put mine crawler in I had the same time restains to solve it I had a front shaft premade the extra 6.5" over all. If you still got the IFS the front D-shaft length hardly changes length as it is not connected to suspension like an SA rig. I got the long slip for when my rig is SAS'd.

Hope it helps.
Originally Posted by muddpigg
Oh and forgot to mention that I had to rotate my rear axle and run CV rear d-shaft too, its rather easy but something to prethink.
Yeah I realize that I have to have the shafts modified. I'm gunna make my own front driveshaft and have my local welding shop do the rear. I still have stock IFS so I'm just plannin on havin a CV joint put in the rear and I'm not gunna worry about rotating my rear axle just yet, I'll do that when I SAS it down the road.....which is a long road

After thinking about it, I can do it over a couple days as I can use my dad's Jeep to drive around in while my truck is down. I figure I'll swap it all out in a weekend, then get my driveshafts done on the following Monday and be on the road that Tuesday....we'll see how it all works out. It probably won't be goin under the knife till the begining of Aug. and then I'll have time off to do it...
Old 07-17-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
some links you might find helpful--the T-G video is pretty good

Transfer Case Info
Transfer Case Rebuilding FSM PDF
Trail-Gears TC Videos:
t-case: http://www.trail-gear.com/videos/toy-tcase.wmv
Dual case: http://www.trail-gear.com/videos/toydualcase.wmv

been daily Driving my T-G adapter w/4.7's in rear case for a few months now..other than some gear noise (gutted the interior at the same time) --no issues
Thanks for the links, I've seen the TG video before.