Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Who Makes OEM Plug Wires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Who Makes OEM Plug Wires?

'94 Pickup 22re 4wd
Maybe you'll say it's obviously Toyota, but I don't think Toyota actually makes them. Some say NGK and some say Denzo...some say definitely not NGK or Denzo.

Replacing the plugs and wires on my truck and I'm trying to do research on what to get. The dealer sells plug wires but they're about $90. Weirdly giving my engine and year wasn't enough info, they wanted the VIN, why is this?

Advance Auto says they can get plugs and wires for a lot cheaper. Plugs are the NGK 1233 (BPR5EY) so that's good. But the wires that say OEM in their computer are made by this company called Seiwa. Ever hear of it? I didn't find much in a Google search aside from someone who didn't like them for his Civic on Amazon. They're about $65 out the door but it takes a few days to get them in. I did order them thinking their computer was right, but I wanted to ask you guys. Weirdly, just giving my truck make and model was enough to know which wires to get, when the dealer needed my VIN to be sure.

Just looking for a little light shed on this.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2015, 01:14 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Dealers always want the VIN. That's just how they look parts up. I ended up taking a picture of the door tag of my truck and 4runner with my phone so I have it with me when I'm at the dealer parts counter.

Pretty sure these came with Denso plugs from the factory but not sure about wires. Do yourself a favor and dont over think it and just run NGK or denso plugs and wires and be done with it. Lots of people run them and I have never seen anyone have a problem with them.

Last edited by Robert m; 11-14-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
yazaki made them for toyota in 86 (or is it yakazi?). verified this morning that the oem are yazaki.

whichever, i replaced them with another set from toyota. the yakazis were date-stamped 1986.

the ones i bought this year @ toyota are sumitomo.

Last edited by wallytoo; 11-15-2015 at 03:54 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Napas wires are really good, high quality product. And they're Napa blue which looks cool. Run you about $50 and I've had a good experience with them.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:42 PM

Yeah I think Denzo for plugs but in my OM it says either the Denzos or the NGKs. NGKs are much easier to find.

I was reading a lot about plug wires and you get the spectrum. Some people never have problems with even the crap cheap ones, some will only run OEM because even a Japanese brand like NGK doesn't perform as well as OEM (that they experience). I have no problem with NGK but I'm trying to stick with OEM as much as possible. I have an old Honda bike and I've learned that it's always the better option to go with what the original engineers came up with. Reliability and performance were high on the list of criteria, cost less so.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
I believe Sumitomo made the OEM ones. Pricey if bought from Toyota.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Originally Posted by wallytoo
yazaki made for toyota them in 86 (or is it yakazi?)

whichever, i replaced them with another set from toyota. the yakazis were date-stamped 1986.
Weird, I guess it's normal for them to use different companies for different years and models. I was just expecting the same. Wish I could find more about this manufacturer.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have worked on trucks that I am sure had the original plug wires on them and they were Denso. I get my plug wires off of ebay for about $30 and that is with shipping. I get my plugs, cap, rotor, and the distributor cap from Toyota for about the same price as a parts store and they never back off of the connectors like part stores parts seem to do.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
I bought factory OEM replacement wires two years ago. I am not sure if Sumitomo was the original brand on by truck or not (the truck had cheap ones when I got it).

The dealer's current OEM wires are Sumitomo wires with a date stamp so you can tell how old they are. These are the wires I bought.

It is possible Toyota used two OEM suppliers for their spark plug wires. For the spark plugs at least, Toyota primarily used Denso plugs but I have heard of some 3vze engines come with both Denso and NGK spark plugs from the factory.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:09 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Davebarbier
..., they wanted the VIN, why is this? ...
You should thank him for asking for the VIN.

1. Next time you're in the dealership, ask the counterman "So, do you have any, uh, trouble when customers don't give the VIN?" He'll bend your ear for 10 minutes with amazing stories of customers who insisted on a hard-to-get part. That didn't fit. Because they not only had the wrong year, but the wrong MODEL. Using the VIN is a pretty fool proof way to assure your input is correct.

2. The software is set up to show a screen for every variant possible. If you ask for plug wires with just year and engine, the software displays a page for every possible driveline and trim level, even if the plug wires are the same for each one. Why page through a bunch of junk; just get the VIN and look at the RIGHT pages. Take a look at http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/ to get an idea of what it's like.

3. Are you SURE the plug wires are the same for every vehicle of that year and engine? With plug wires it doesn't really matter, but how about something simple, like corner-lights? They're the same for all second-gen, right? Wrong. It depends on whether you have ... 4-wheel drive!

Do like Robert M. ALWAYS provide your VIN when you're ordering parts; if you make the counterman's job HARDER, is that good for you? And now that you know, you'll use a dealer-site like the one above to print the picture of the part you want, and your guess of the part number, and write your VIN on the sheet of paper. Then he can zoom right in and tell you if that is really the right part to order.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:56 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Over the years different vendors supplied spark plug wires for Toyota

Then your also dealing with a vehicle almost 30 years old.

I am one who had poor luck with after market wires on 22R series engines So I just bought mine from Toyota.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:10 AM

I snapped picture of mine. I swear I looked before but they were just really dirty! I thought they didn't have markings on them so I assumed they were after market. Definitely Sumitomo, so I guess these are the original wires?
Attached Thumbnails Who Makes OEM Plug Wires?-photo44.jpg  
Old 11-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Likely so if the 1993 stamped on the one is the year of manufacture.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
These are plug wires I took directly out of a Toyota parts bag.
Notice the name in the lower left part of the picture?

If you wonder if your plug wires are still good test them for resistance. According to the Toyota Factory Service Manual they should have no more than 25K per wire. It's easy to test them with a multimeter. Bending them in several areas while watching for a reading that disappears can catch one that might have proved good if tested in a stationary position. Alligator clips greatly aid in this test.

From construction to longevity the Factory Toyota plug wires are going to be what 99% 22R/RE owners will want unless they're trying to save money at all costs. Often times when it comes to trying to save money on spark plug wires you will end up with something that will need to be replaced several times when you could have just bought factory parts and had it last for close to 10 years. I sure wouldn't trust a regular parts store to get Factory OEM parts. Did you know there's an aftermarket company that goes by the name OEM? It's amazing how many people fall for that. Real Toyota wires will come in a plastic bag with a Toyota sticker and part number, nothing fancy about it. Check ebay and also see how cheaply you can find them for if you order them from a Toyota dealership. SOME of the dealers offer a good discount if you purchase online, but be 100% sure of the part you are ordering if you go that way. I order several parts at a time to help make the shipping cost easier to accept.

If aftermarket is what you really want I'd probably get NGK's but like EVERY brand out there I've heard a couple bad things about them.
Member jennygirl liked hers at first but then started to complain about them. Post #7 https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post52241501
Here's a complaint from member RAD4Runner post #14 https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120.../#post52275382
To me that shows poor construction for the application.

I used to think Belden Premium from NAPA were ok too but they are now being made in Mexico and have suffered a bit.
When I was young I saw a guy replace some Belden plug wires with Accel Super Stock wires. The engine ran rougher and lost it's ability to freely rev. A few attempts were made to find out what was wrong along with a few test drives but it couldn't be fixed. The old used Beldens were re-installed and the engine came back to life. Not all plug wires are created equal.
If you want to join the "Performance is my only concern" crowd there are other choices- Accel, Mallory, MSD, Taylor, Moroso, Granatelli, Magnecor, and Nology.

Fancy aftermarket plugs with exotic materials (Platinum etc) and two or more ground straps (SplitFire etc) aren't needed on this engine and lots of people have tried them only to go back to stock. Denso is what the 22R/RE rolled out of the factory with. If you want to install Denso's in the engine get the Factory OEM plugs from a Toyota dealer parts counter and don't bother with the aftermarket Denso plugs (There is a difference). OR get NGK V-Power plugs (PT#BPR5EY (Stock#1233) from darn near any parts place.

The reason I recommend getting dealer supplied Denso plugs it that the aftermarket Denso's you get from AutoZone/Pep Boys/O'Reilly Auto/Advance Auto/NAPA etc have a slightly different design. The tip of the plug is threaded on. I've used this type of plug on a few different engines over the years and it seems no matter how tight I screw the tip on with pliers or vice grips at some point the vibrations work the tip loose on a couple and it causes a mysterious roughness to the engine that's most noticeable at idle. Screw the tip back down tight and it disappears, I'm done with that style of plug. Don't think you'll be saving a bunch of money on the aftermarket plugs either, the savings will only be 2-4 dollars total and I'd rather have no problems for that small difference any day.

Last edited by Odin; 11-17-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:23 PM

Beautiful. Thanks Odin, son of Borr.