Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whirr whirr whirr whirr

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Whirr whirr whirr whirr

Hello all,

New to the forum. Hoping to get some insight on my 1992 3.0L 4wd pickup...

Has been very nice and trouble free, I treat her well and she almost always returns the favor...no problems at all compared to my ford ranger or volvo.

Now I'm having a bit of an issue I can't seem to figure out. While driving in 2wd it will start randomly whirring from the front right or left wheel...while it is random (or seems to be) it is speed dependant. If I stick in the clutch the whirring continues and it seems to be coming from the front wheels. Sticking it in 4wd seems to alleivate the problem for a little while. Then the whirring starts up again after a few miles usually. It almost seems temperature dependant rarely happens during summer, during winter it happens all the time.

I'm really unsure on this one...I've heard that 4wd is vacuum controlled and if there is a vacuum leak 4wd wants to come and go...but then if it was in 4wd you'd think that it would stop? Maybe not, perhaps there is a limit and if theres not enough vacuum that sets it off? It often kicks on when I shift from 1st to 2nd.

I've wondered wheel bearings? But then its a random noise...in no way constant, just comes and gos. If I hit a bump that can set it off. In the past hitting the breaks, shifting gears or going to from 2wd to 4wd shuts it up for the moment. That was not the case tonight as I drove over the pass (baaaad place to break down).

CV axles? I had one replaced less than a year ago...maybe both should have been done?

I can't shake the feeling its *something* to do with 4wd but then this is only the 2nd 4wd truck I've owned and I don't know much about that system...so could be the fear of the unknown.

Anyway much appreciate any insights cause right now the truck prefers4wd...for a little while anyways.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

I've had this same thing for four years when its really cold outside. Except mine happens in 2wd or 4, usually when I hit a bump in the road I hear and feel a loud whirring noise from the front left or right axle. Then If I hit another bump, it goes away. My wheel bearings are good, front diff is good, no leaking seals, all new balljoints, axles, ect. Its all been replaced. It doesn't seem to affect anything, but it is kind of annoying.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:25 PM

Yes. I had the exact same thing happen to me. I lived up in northern Maryland, on the Penn state border. So it got cold. I would be driving and hear.. GRRRRR...GRRRR.. if I stomped the brake it would go away for a bit and then come back.

If I threw it into 4wd, it went away.

I have since moved to TX and never heard it sense and everything works great. I have also since then replaced my front brake system so I took the chance to get in there and see what was up. I coudnt find anything. My bearings were in great shape, there was plenty of grease in there. So who knows. I repacked everything, new grease...so Im curious if I drive up somewhere cold it will do it again?

Dang curious. I wonder if it was the grease breaking down in the cold weather? I know it wasnt my front diff and my only explanation was it had to do with my front wheel bearing and the cold and almost 20 year old grease in there??? Who knows.

My solution worked well, I moved to a place it never gets below 30. But seriously, if I were you and you have a nice warm garage take an afternoon to pull your half shaft and re-grease everything. Check your bearing. Mine was in perfect condition. Repack it with newer, better grease and see what that does if anything?

I know how annoying it was....Id be driving 70 on the highway...with people in my truck and it would go GRRRRR...Id stomp the brakes to make it go away. They would always just look at me.. Id say "its fine"...

Like I said, I havent heard it since I moved south. I bet its the grease breaking down. Maybe in the cold the old grease looses its charm? Who knows.. talking out my butt now.

If you repack your bearing and hub.. let me know?
Old 12-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks gvolcrunner, but all my stuff is newly greased and in top shape. Its -48 here with the windchill, -10 otherwise! I guess I would complain like my runner too If I had to work out in this crappy weather!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
it could be your spindle hub bushings, i know mine makes this werid sound all of the sudden since its became cold out.. il be driving in 2wd with the hubs locked in front and out of know where ill get this weird noise from the passenger side hub.. so i just unlocked it, went away.. locked it.. came back..
im gonna take a look at it tomorrow thoe.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:10 PM

yea true. Curious though. And there goes my theory. Who knows. My dad lives up in Montana so one day Ill drive it up there..see if it comes back. When I pulled everything, didnt find anything. Made sure to set everything to spec, just in case say the hub tension was off and the bearing was sticking in the cold as a result.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4runnermt
Thanks gvolcrunner, but all my stuff is newly greased and in top shape. Its -48 here with the windchill, -10 otherwise! I guess I would complain like my runner too If I had to work out in this crappy weather!
where do you live? your weather sounds just like the temps we have here
Old 12-15-2008, 04:07 AM

I have the same problem and have replaced everything except the cv's. Random GRRRR GRRRRR from what feels like the driver's side front when in 2 wheel with the hubs locked. The only thing left I thought it might be is the bearing in the end of the driver's side ifs axle tube. I've given up trying to hunt it down since it's going SFA next month.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:12 AM

I think it might be the brass bushing that the axle shaft runs through. Mine made that noise when I had X-terrains but when I switched to all terrains it stopped snice they don't vibrate so bad. I'm sure replacing that brass bushing would also have solved it.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ezrider_92356
where do you live? your weather sounds just like the temps we have here
western Montana
Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 PM

I had a similar noise on my 1992 4WD. It only occurred in cold weather. Over the years it got a lot worse. It is from the front spindle bushings.

There is a TSB for this. The bushings are replaced with bearings. Here is a link to more information:

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...imrockford.htm
Old 12-15-2008, 02:05 PM

My post above may not be for the right TSB. Please be advised that the spindle bushing TSB I was trying to describe is TSB DL94001.

Sorry for any confusion. Here is a correct link:

http://www.alldata.com/service_provi.../20000706.html
Old 12-15-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
NOTE: Applicable only for 4X4 Trucks, 4Runners and T-100 models produced after August 1989
Old 12-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
western Montana
How's the fishing? Always heard Montana was THE place to be for fly fishing.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:54 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies.

The truck is my daily driver, without it things get interesting. I thought things over (how to get to work and whatnot) and came to the conclusion that this one had to go off to the shop.

What they found was very worn wheel bearings, used up CV axles and one very leaky hose. I asked them to inspect the spindle bushings and they did, I'm told everything looks good.

So I picked up the truck a couple hours ago and it *seems* ok for now. I have to wonder if they really fixed the problem or not. It usually only happens when its really cold out and I need 4wd...which it so happens may be tomorrow. So we'll see...

Thanks again
Old 12-24-2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by GVOLCRunner
Yes. I had the exact same thing happen to me. I lived up in northern Maryland, on the Penn state border. So it got cold. I would be driving and hear.. GRRRRR...GRRRR.. if I stomped the brake it would go away for a bit and then come back.

If I threw it into 4wd, it went away.

-

Dang curious. I wonder if it was the grease breaking down in the cold weather? I know it wasnt my front diff and my only explanation was it had to do with my front wheel bearing and the cold and almost 20 year old grease in there??? Who knows.

-

Repack it with newer, better grease and see what that does if anything?

I know how annoying it was....Id be driving 70 on the highway...with people in my truck and it would go GRRRRR...Id stomp the brakes to make it go away. They would always just look at me.. Id say "its fine"...

-

If you repack your bearing and hub.. let me know?
Driving to Oregon on Saturday to spend the holidays with my wife's family, through possibly the worst snowstorm they've had on record, halfway through Portland (on a freeway packed with 6 inches of snow, mind you) when the exact same thing happens to me. Except only on the right side. 1990 4Runner, ~130k? (could be a lot more, V6 auto, auto 4wd.

We're leaving two days after Christmas and so I had to take it to the dealership in Corvallis *groan* to have it taken care of in time. The thing sounds like it's going to fall off. They say it needs a repack and new bushings. I hate dealerships , but their tech is a certified Toyota Master Tech or something and has been doing this at their place for 30 years so $400 later he better fix the problem. Of course at home my father and I would tear into it in his garage without hesitation. But I can't say I'm sure the old thing would make it the 800+ miles home in the same shape. Thank you to everyone for posting your thoughts. I'll update on the repack and replacement bushings in a few days when I see just how much my hard-earned money got me.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BRRR..... too cold for me.... -10F with a wind chill factor of -48? J*ESUS that must be some COLD wind!
Old 12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jreb10
My post above may not be for the right TSB. Please be advised that the spindle bushing TSB I was trying to describe is TSB DL94001.

Sorry for any confusion. Here is a correct link:

http://www.alldata.com/service_provi.../20000706.html
Thanks for the link... my beast does this now and then too but it never really annoyed me that much since it would go away relatively quickly once it got moving...
Old 12-24-2008, 12:59 PM

I have had the same thing happen to me quite a few times...

The first time it happened, it scared the crap out of me!!! I pulled over and looked at the left front wheel well (thought my tire was rubbing or something) Oh well... It only does it when its REALLY cold (say 10 degrees or less) and it doesn't last more than a few seconds so I don't really worry about it...
Old 12-24-2008, 01:08 PM

i might love you, like seriously. i have a whirring noise coming from my 87 4runner, also from the front left wheel. if 4wd/auto hubs are indeed controlled by a vacuum then my problem with 4wd not working and the strange whirring noise may explain each other!!!!! omg i cant wait to check!

Quick Reply: Whirr whirr whirr whirr