Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Where is starter relay?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where is starter relay?

Hey guys. Have a little problemo. 1991 SR5 PU 4x4, Auto. Truck was working fine last I drove it, but let it sit about 10 weeks in the backyard, and now it won't crank. Battery is fully charged and newer, (had a solar panel attached to keep it charged, and checked it with a charger). I hear a single, barely audible click when I turn the key, which I am assuming is the starter relay, but I can't find it! Does anyone know where the starter relay is in this model? It is not at the driver's side kick panel, that I can see, (which is where the Chilton manual says it should be), and not in the block on the passenger fender under the hood. Still haven't ruled out the viper 300 alarm as the culprit, which I am going to try to eliminate one way or the other tomorrow. Then I wanted to test the starter relay before moving to the neutral switch contacts and starter contacts. which I'm not sure I can even reach. (In fact, I haven't been able to visually locate the starter yet!) Okay guys, go easy on me... I'm a woman and this isn't my area of expertise.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 AM

PS All the usual preliminary things have been tried and/or checked: tried jumping with charger set to "Start Engine" just in case it *was* the battery somehow; tried putting it in neutral and starting, then back to Park; steering wheel is not cranked; has full tank gas; have foot on brake when I turn key; headlights, radio, everything works, (headlights do NOT dim when I turn key, if that's a clue, but the dash lights slightly dim, which I believe is normal), and warning lights on dash all come on like normal, so it looks like ignition switch is not the problem, from what I understand....

Also tried putting the Viper 300 in Valet Mode, and that didn't help either but more checking on that tomorrow (or later today now since it's after 1am!)

Thanks for any input, guys.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:16 AM

I could be wrong, but i don't think a 91 has a starter relay. The click your hearing is probably coming from the solenoid (which is attached to the starter). As far as what your problem is i dunno. But like i said i don't think you have a starter relay, i had to add one into my 86. Well that wasn't really helpful haha, sorry...
Old 10-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
this link should have a wiring diagram for you:
http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Old 10-08-2009, 02:45 AM

my 87 did that, i tapped on it with a rubber mallet and it started right up.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:22 AM

the relay in my 93 is located in the black fuse box under the hood on the passenger side fender. had to replace mine once, thought it was the starter, was a $30 relay.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by g_cali
I could be wrong, but i don't think a 91 has a starter relay. The click your hearing is probably coming from the solenoid (which is attached to the starter). As far as what your problem is i dunno. But like i said i don't think you have a starter relay, i had to add one into my 86. Well that wasn't really helpful haha, sorry...
Actually, that was helpful, because I'm thinking this truck doesn't have a starter relay either. I just assumed all vehicles had one, and I've seen pics of the green (1"x1" or so) square starter relay that many of these trucks DO have.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
this link should have a wiring diagram for you:
http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Very handy page! Unfortunately, it skips my truck. Has the 4Runner covered for 1991, and the 1993 pickup, but not the 1991 pickup. I assumed until recently that virtually nothing changed between like 88 and 93, but I've learned different. I did check out the wiring diagram for the 93, and it says the starter relay is on the driver's side kick panel. It's just not there on my truck. This is the auto 3VZ V6 and it's not as common, it seems as the M/T and other models.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Myron
my 87 did that, i tapped on it with a rubber mallet and it started right up.
I plan to try that as soon as I locate the starter! I got the Viper alarm out of Valet Mode, (and actually it should start in Valet Mode, b/c that disables the alarm), but no matter what I do, it's not cranking. I disconnected the battery and am letting it sit for 30 min, then am putting it back to try to reset the alarm in case it's stuck in some weird state. It has an Auto Engine Disable (AED) state, but that's not supposed to be active when in Valet Mode, or when the alarm is off. When I reconnect, if it doesn't start, I will disconnect the brain of the alarm and try. But it might not be the alarm at all... So next I will locate the starter, since I can't find a starter relay, and give it a whack with a rubber mallet, but I am afraid the starter is going to be buried on this engine, and I won't be able to get a mallet near it. And to Beaniam: I wish mine was there! All I have in Junction Block 2 are a few fuses, the Headlight relay, and the computer module relay (ECM).
Old 10-08-2009, 11:06 AM

Here's a couple pics of my driver's side kick panel, where the starter relay is supposed to be...

http://bydesklight.com/SR.html
Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 PM

Myron -- it worked!

Finally located the starter and used a wooden dowel and hammer to give it some love taps. Truck started right up!

That's the good news. The bad news is I have to replace the contacts now, I guess, and that means pulling the thing!! It is NOT something I am looking forward to... even getting the access panel off means taking bolts off that have nuts on the back, and I have no idea how I am going to reach those nuts to get those screws back in ... to say nothing of removeing the starter once the panel is off.

Remember, I don't have long fingers like you guys, a full tool shop or expertise! But I guess if my baby needs it, I'll have to find a way!

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think these year toyotas had a starter relay. The starter either runs off a fuse or circut breaker in the engine bay black box. The clicking your hearing is the main relay. Yea you might get by tapping on it every once in a while but um not for long.... get a starter with a lifetime warranty like i did lol.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
I don't think these year toyotas had a starter relay. The starter either runs off a fuse or circut breaker in the engine bay black box. The clicking your hearing is the main relay. Yea you might get by tapping on it every once in a while but um not for long.... get a starter with a lifetime warranty like i did lol.
I agree and do not believe this truck has a starter relay.

What model/kind of starter did you get? From what I understand, replacing the contacts should be good enough... or was it the "brushes" that stuck? I am open to all advice and welcome it!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:25 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
the auto did not have a starter relay instead they use the neutral start switch on the tranny shifter ( closed in park or neutral)
Old 10-08-2009, 08:17 PM

this might be helpful:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
Old 10-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by rhill
This is good info, but I wish I could find a step-by-step to remove a starter from my model (3.0L V6 A/T). It's a lot trickier than the 22RE, which seems to be all I can find (though this link does have tips for V6s... most V6 references are for 4Runners). Every bit of info helps though!

Last edited by remmie; 10-08-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Try this:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...4runner-76358/
Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
Hey Rob, thanks. Still a 4R but the year is the same as mine! This is probably closest to my truck...
Old 10-08-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A 3.slow is a 3.slow. Starter removal is the same. I would have never thought of the 2 extensions from the front. Made the job about a 15 minute task instead of the nightmare I lived trying to do it the other way.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 PM

Yeah, and after reading through the whole thing, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again, great find!