86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where to put seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to put seafoam?

Ok, so Ive searched on here but cant find it. I know there are alot of opinions, but Where is the best place to put seafoam in on a 3.0 in a 1990 4Runner? I've seen PCV valve mentioned quite a few times and also a couple guys said to pour it right into the throttle body. Which is the best place to pour it?

TIA
Julian
Old 04-26-2011, 11:21 AM

i used the pcv valve AND the hose right off the brake booster. also put a little in the gas tank. brake booster i heard is the best though
Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 AM

Well, I saw in another thread that, that will only help a couple cylinders. I also saw the post about the guy hydolocking and blowing a rod. So I'm kinda nervous to do it. Also, one guy put 2 cans in the tank, is that ok to do? Will it cause any problems?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by alil2cul4u
Well, I saw in another thread that, that will only help a couple cylinders. I also saw the post about the guy hydrolocking and blowing a rod. So I'm kinda nervous to do it. Also, one guy put 2 cans in the tank, is that ok to do? Will it cause any problems?
You need to add it slowly when you are putting it in via a vacuum hose. Just enough at a time to get the engine to stumble a little. The only way I could see it hydrolocking is if you just dump a crapload in at one time. Another thing you can do is get Seafoams Deep Creep and spray that into the throttle body with the engine running. I did this via the breather hose off the valve cover by the throttle body and then shut the engine off and sprayed some more directly into the throttle body with the throttle valve open and let it soak for about 10 minutes. Fire the engine up and either drive or rev it up to about 1500-2000 rpms for a bit and you are good.

2 cans into the gas tank won't hurt a thing. I've poured a whole can of Seafoam into my bikes gas tank (5 gallon) with only half a tank of gas in it and it still ran fine. Seafoam is petroleum based so it won't hurt anything in the fuel system.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I saw in another thread that, that will only help a couple cylinders. I also saw the post about the guy hydolocking and blowing a rod. So I'm kinda nervous to do it. Also, one guy put 2 cans in the tank, is that ok to do? Will it cause any problems?
The brake booster should be best -- you'll only hydrolock it if you suck all of the seafoam in at once. Just dip the end of the hose in a bit at a time, and suck up approximately 2/3 of the bottle (keeping it at approx. 3k RPM), then let it die while sucking up the last of it. Putting it in the tank should just act like an injector cleaner.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
use one of those little hoses on the pass side that just has manifold vacuum.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 AM

Ok, so now is another question. What is the proper way to do it with a vacuum line? Do I just slowly pour it in the vacuum line? Do i just dip the vacuum line in it?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, so now is another question. What is the proper way to do it with a vacuum line? Do I just slowly pour it in the vacuum line? Do i just dip the vacuum line in it?
Dip the vacuum line into it.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:49 AM

just pour it in slow enough to not kill the engine but fast enough to almost make it die. Make it stumble.

Wait 15 mins and smoke it up!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dip it in till it starts to die and just pull back enough on the hose not to stall it, you want to kepep it running, after you sucked in two thirds of the bottle kill the motor and wait for the soak in.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:50 AM

Ok, so I just take the vacuum line off the break booster and keep dipping it into the seafoam slow enough to not kill the motor but fast enough to make the RPM's drop?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:52 AM

Ok, that makes sense. I got Blakes reply after I sent mine. That makes sense Ill be trying this here in the next week! Thanks for the fast answers! I hope this thread will help some other people!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Sea Foam Spray is the best way!

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-26-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by xtremewlr
You need to add it slowly when you are putting it in via a vacuum hose. Just enough at a time to get the engine to stumble a little. The only way I could see it hydrolocking is if you just dump a crapload in at one time. Another thing you can do is get Seafoams Deep Creep and spray that into the throttle body with the engine running. I did this via the breather hose off the valve cover by the throttle body and then shut the engine off and sprayed some more directly into the throttle body with the throttle valve open and let it soak for about 10 minutes. Fire the engine up and either drive or rev it up to about 1500-2000 rpms for a bit and you are good.

2 cans into the gas tank won't hurt a thing. I've poured a whole can of Seafoam into my bikes gas tank (5 gallon) with only half a tank of gas in it and it still ran fine. Seafoam is petroleum based so it won't hurt anything in the fuel system.
Be careful with the Deep Creep. It can kill your throttle position sensor by shorting it out. Some people unplug their TPS when doing this, just to be safe. Or if it's not too dirty in there, I would just leave it alone.

I wrecked my TPS using throttle body cleaner, and I imagine Deep Creep is probably no different than throttle body cleaner. It cost me over $200 to get the unit replaced and calibrated (this was before I started doing all my own repairs).
Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 PM

Just this afternoon I put about 3/4 of a bottle into the gas tank and the rest into the oil. My '94 4Runner runs really well, but there's always room for improvement. I was a little nervous about messing with the vacuum lines.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:32 PM

Check your plugs after you put it in, mine were fouled after seafoam. So I would change my plugs after and only put it in the fuel tank not the vacum hoses. Its not a cure all.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by diablo
Check your plugs after you put it in, mine were fouled after seafoam. So I would change my plugs after and only put it in the fuel tank not the vacum hoses. Its not a cure all.
I've never had that issue and I have Seafoamed several vehicles before. Not saying it won't happen, just never experienced that myself.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Brake booster may be best on a 22RE but it's definitely not on a 3vze - look where it goes into the plenum! You'll only get the back cylinders that way. Feeding it into the throttle body somehow would be best. Try one of the vac tubes on top of the throttle body.

I've heard of people putting half a can of seafoam in the gas tank, never 2 cans. But anyway, it's a lousy injector cleaner. Something with polyether amine will do a MUCH better job. Either Red Line SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner or CRC's "Guaranteed to Pass Emissions Test Formula".

I wouldn't run with seafoam in the oil for very long. Seafoam has isopropyl alcohol and a volatile solvent in it - not something that will do a real good job of lubricating.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by sb5walker
You'll only get the back cylinders that way. Feeding it into the throttle body somehow would be best.
I repeat.
Originally Posted by MudHippy
Sea Foam Spray is the best way!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqs8Q...layer_embedded

Introducing Sea FoamŽ Spray!

Sea FoamŽ Spray is for internal engine use only to clean carbon deposits from intake systems, intake valves, and combustion chambers of your engine. Use Sea FoamŽ Spray to clean all these areas with the cleaning tube and hook guide tool inserted into a sealed air intake system. Spray the Sea FoamŽ Spray into the engine from in front of the throttle plate.
Sea FoamŽ Spray can be used to clean gum and varnish from a 2 cycle engine. Run engine and spray Sea FoamŽ Spray directly inside carburetor throat. Repeat as needed for cleaning.

Sea FoamŽ Spray’s unique spray valve even works with the can held upside down so you can use it in difficult-to-reach applications.
  • 100% pure petroleum for use in cleaning harmful gums, varnish and carbon from air induction systems and combustion chambers on all 2-cycle and 4-cycle gasoline engines.
  • Cures hesitation, stalls, pings, flat spots and rough idle due to carbon buildup.
  • Use to store and fog 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines.
  • Helps pass emission tests. EPA registered.
  • Cleans intake valves and pistons.
  • Cleans Catalytic converter odors.
  • Restores power and pickup.
  • Oxygen sensor safe.
Using Sea FoamŽ Spray to Clean a Sealed Intake System

Use Sea FoamŽ Spray to clean carbon deposits from the intake systems, intake valves, and combustion chambers of your engine. Not for use on Diesel Air Intake Systems.
Use Sea FoamŽ Spray to clean all these areas with the cleaning tube inserted into the sealed air intake system to spray Sea FoamŽ into the engine from in front of the throttle plate. See side panel for illustration.

Warm up engine and turn off all accessories.

Shut engine off.
  • DO NOT use in enclosed area, make sure exhaust is well ventilated
  • DO NOT use a scan tool to increase RPM via the air by-pass valve
  • DO NOT spray Sea FoamŽ into the mass airflow Sensor

Locate the engine throttle body and remove air intake boot. Install the Sea FoamŽ cleaning tube by inserting the short end of the hook guide into the throttle body, positioning the tube directly in front of the throttle plate. Ideal placement of hook guide is at top center of throttle body housing (12 o’clock.) Place end of cleaning tube within ŧ” of throttle plate by adjusting cleaning tube in or out of hook guide. Replace air intake boot to hold cleaning tube assembly in place.

With the vehicle in park or neutral and parking brake engaged start engine and increase idle speed 500 to 1000 RPM above factory idle specification. Increasing engine RPM is important for the following reasons:
  • The Sea FoamŽ cleaner must be evenly distributed
  • The Sea FoamŽ cleaner must fully atomize
  • The Sea FoamŽ cleaner must pass through the throttle body, not the air by-pass
Find a method to hold engine RPM steady as this application takes approximately 5 minutes

After Ŋ can of Sea FoamŽ has been used, approximately 2-3 minutes, stop spray, return engine to normal idle speed and shut off engine.

Remove cleaning tube from throttle body and reattach air inlet boot to throttle body and tighten clamp.

Let vehicle sit about 5 minutes then restart in a well ventilated area, as exhaust may be extreme for a short time. Road test, driving aggressively, to remove any remaining carbon. REPEAT Sea FoamŽ TREATEMENT AS NECESSARY.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-u...oam-spray.html

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-26-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM

Spraying seafoam in the intake does not sound good for the TPS potentiometeror. Most throttle body cleaners are harmful to electronics. If I had to put it in I would use the fuel tank.

Quick Reply: Where to put seafoam?