86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel Resistance in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Resistance in 4WD

I just picked up a 93 4runner with 145K on the clock, and I love this rig. This is my first thread on YotaTech, although I've been reading through the forums for a bit of info. I was hoping someone would have some advice on a problem I've been having with my truck.

Whenever I move forward over 10 mph in 4wd, I get a large amount of input force on the steering/driveline. It essentially feels like my alignment is incredibly off to the left of the truck, and I have to overcompensate with steering to the right to keep the thing from diving to the left. If I let go of the wheel, the truck will veer almost 45 degrees.

This only occurs in 4hi, although I havent gone fast enough in 4lo to notice anything similar (but anything greater than 10mph in 4lo is probably a bad idea anyway haha). 2wd feels great.

I noticed it most driving recently on an icy highway. It occurred worst on the dry sections, although I was driving straight ahead so I don't think its caused by the natural resistance to turning of 4wd. Whenever I hit a section of reduced traction the left side felt like it would "catch up" with the right, and the input on the steering would lessen although not disappear.

I just had the steering linkage warranty performed, so I know my steering and alignment are true. Front wheel 4wd system? T-Case?

Any ideas?

Also, if anyone can recommend a good independent toyota shop in the Huntington Beach/SoCal area I'd greatly appreciate it.

Pete
Old 12-20-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Is your truck equipped with ADD or manual hubs?

Oh, and welcome to YT, Pete......

Last edited by thook; 12-20-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RunnerPete
I just picked up a 93 4runner with 145K on the clock, and I love this rig. This is my first thread on YotaTech, although I've been reading through the forums for a bit of info. I was hoping someone would have some advice on a problem I've been having with my truck.

Whenever I move forward over 10 miles per hour in 4wd, I get a large amount of input force on the steering/driveline. It essentially feels like my alignment is incredibly off to the left of the truck, and I have to overcompensate with steering to the right to keep the thing from diving to the left. If I let go of the wheel, the truck will veer almost 45 degrees.

This only occurs in 4hi, although I havent gone fast enough in 4lo to notice anything similar (but anything greater than 10mph in 4lo is probably a bad idea anyway haha). 2wd feels great.

I noticed it most driving recently on an icy highway. It occurred worst on the dry sections, although I was driving straight ahead so I don't think its caused by the natural resistance to turning of 4wd. Whenever I hit a section of reduced traction the left side felt like it would "catch up" with the right, and the input on the steering would lessen although not disappear.

I just had the steering linkage warranty performed, so I know my steering and alignment are true. Front wheel 4wd system? T-Case?

Any ideas?

Also, if anyone can recommend a good independent toyota shop in the Huntington Beach/SoCal area I'd greatly appreciate it.

Pete
Our trucks have what they call a part-time 4wd. When the transfer case is engaged, the front and rear wheels are locked together. When you make a turn the front wheels turn slower than the rear causing the driveline to bind up in corners, most noticeable on dry pavement. You shouldn't be driving around in 4wd all the time. it is hard on parts and you will end having premature failure of parts if you use 4wd on dry pavement all the time. I use 4lo to pull stuff like boats up ramps and trees out the ground, but in those cases i am basically going straight.

You also might be experiencing wheel slip on one side of the truck and then when you it a dry spot it grabs real quick. I have had that happen to me, and that was what was happening. With open diffs you only really have 2wd because the power is going to be directed to the wheels with least resistance.