Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

whats this part and how to fix

Old 07-24-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats this part and how to fix

K actually I have two questions, the first one is my rear axle, that gasket that goes around the whole thing facing the front, I can't find anywhere explaining how to replace that, everything is for the pinion seal or side seals, the guy at the auto shop said I have to pull both axles

Anyways the bigger question just a few days ago this started leaking bad, and I mean 8in wide puddles dripping on both sides of my tranny, its on the back of the engine, the bank 2 exhaust pipe crosses over the back of it, I have no idea what it is so o can figure out how to fix it, the pics are hard to tell, its basically on the back of the block towards the top, the pics don't do it justice
Old 07-24-2013, 05:15 PM

Well its tellin me I own the pictures somewhere?? Just don't know how to get them on the thread
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by bigred*
Well its tellin me I own the pictures somewhere?? Just don't know how to get them on the thread
To get them on thread if mobile phone use photo bucket something like that n on computer should be an upload image butyom
Old 07-24-2013, 05:57 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
... my rear axle, that gasket that goes around the whole thing facing the front, I can't find anywhere explaining how to replace that, ...
Uh, where did you look?
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...35differen.pdf

... this [sic] started leaking bad, and I mean 8in wide puddles dripping on both sides of my tranny, its on the back of the engine, the bank 2 exhaust pipe crosses over the back of it, I have no idea what it is so o can figure out how to fix it, the pics are hard to tell, its basically on the back of the block towards the top, the pics don't do it justice
Just think, if you mentioned what vehicle you were talking about, maybe someone could guess what your problem is?

I'm going to guess a 1993 3VZE. I'm going to guess "bank 2" means passenger side. You have a leaky valve cover gasket. Clean it up REALLY well and you'll be able to see it. When you replace the gaskets, be sure to follow the FSM or it will leak immediately.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:20 PM

Oh freak my bad! I thought it was in my Sig, all fix that, ya its a 1994 pickup with the 3vze, I replaced the valve cover gaskets probably a month ago cuz ya they were leaking like crazy, sorry by bank 2 yes I meant passenger side exhaust, ill just call it that from now on.. so when I did the valve cover gaskets, I didn't follow the fsm, it seemed pretty basic to me, I'm tryin to find a good parts diagram of the engine to identify the part
Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 PM

Ya and I looked a ton for the rear diff thing on here and google and couldn't find what you posted, all it'd give me was for the pinion seal, side seal, bearing stuff and rear main engine seal stuff, that link should work great for me, oh and for that leak, its not coming from the valve cover gaskets either, its directly on the back of the engine, ill work with photo bucket tomorrow for pics

Last edited by bigred*; 07-24-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: testing new signature
Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This conversation actually hurt a little.........

The thing facing the front on your rear axle is called the third member and yes, you do have to pull the axles out before you can remove that. I think you're looking for the 'differential carrier gasket'. IF you have a 94 pickup with the V6, you need this: FEL-PRO Part # RDS55431

You said you didn't follow the FSM to replace the valve cover gaskets. You really should do that....even for stuff that seems really simple until you know for sure you know what you're doing.

Since it's dripping down both sides of your transmission I'd say you either messed up both valve cover gaskets (somewhat unlikely, but not impossible) or you're either having problems with the rear main seal or possibly the oil pan seal. Is it a manual transmission? Double-check the fluid level there too and make sure you're not dumping gear oil due to a bad front seal on the transmission.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:10 PM

Sorry to cause yall pain from my ignorance, this is just all new to me and I'm eager to learn how to deal with it myself, so i finally found a good write up for doing the rear diff here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-pics-205316/

Still can't figure out the major leak on my engine though, took it jiffy lube for a top off, I've gone through almost a quart in less then 100 miles, he said it looks like valve covers, but when I just replaced the valve cover I had oil running down the side of the engine, not the back? Is there a common mistake when doing valve covers without a manual that could cause this? It's a manual and I haven't checked that fluid yet but I will, its not the rear main seal, although he to does have a tiny leak, nothing to worry about yet though, the oil is drippin down on the rear of the a-arms for the suspension, its not actually dripping on the tranny, but off to both sides, which would make sense if it is valve covers, ill run through this clymer manual I just got to see if it looks like I missed something or did something out of the ordinary before I pull my intake off again

Last edited by bigred*; 07-25-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 PM

hmm just to clear things up is it your rear main seal? There should be a little gap where the transmission meets the engine check if oil is coming from there, if not it could possibly be the valve cover gaskets.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:59 AM

BTW The so called Third Member is actually the differential carrier and the gearing inside is called the differential.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
... Is there a common mistake when doing valve covers without a manual that could cause this? ...
Yes. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...68cylinder.pdf

In fact, doing anything on any vehicle without the manual has the significant possibility of causing leaks, burning up parts, breaking things .... Why do you think the manufacturer goes to the all the trouble to prepare a manual?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 AM

Well the rear main seal has a leak, but at most it'll drip a drop or two after any decent drive, well over the weekend I was able to pull the axles drop the diff and get that gasket replaced and its holding up great so far, it probably took me around 5 hours, but way worth it considering the bill it would have costed.
Well looks like I'm going to be redoing my valve cover gaskets with the manual this time though that's a good point, why would they put all that time into them.. one thing I did notice when I was putting the valve covers back on was I could not tighten any of the bolts, they all got a little resistance but they just keep spinning forever, is there a reason for this? Or could this be my issue?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 PM

If there is no resistance then they are probably stripped. That could be pretty bad. Unfortunately I dont have.the v6 so I cant tell you just how bad ie is. Good luck.