Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What's the best way to get rust/crud out of a 3VZ block?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best way to get rust/crud out of a 3VZ block?

After taking my heads off, I've found that my 3VZ-E block is rusting, more than just a light coat. There's "rust sludge" building up in a number of places in the heads, radiator, overflow bottle. The oil cooler was completely clogged. I've also found a TON of FPIG sealant strips floating around and/or jammed in cooling passages. Six head gasket ports had spikes of this rubber gasket jammed in them, fully clogging the holes. I'm lucky my heads didn't warp.

Between the rust and the likelyhood that there's more rubber seal material lost in the block's water jacket area, I need to be sure to clean it out. How can this be done? There doesnt appear to be any easy way to reach in to get it out, vaccum, or even blow it out with air. My block is still in the truck and I really dont care to take it out. Can the freeze plugs come out easily and are they easy to replace?

Thanks for any help with this.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Take it from me, it's MUCH easier to do everything with the engine out. There are freeze plugs in the back of the engine (2) you won't be able to replace without removing the engine. What exactly are you doing to the engine?

I can't believe everything is that rusted! Mine didn't have any at all in it...??

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/crap-head-gasket-giving-up-ghost-108156/

Old 05-25-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pull thermostat and do the full blast garden hose number with the oil pan plug out. It will be a friggin mess but the best you can do without pulling the block. There are several small water drain plugs on the block near the motor mounts. Brass plug types that screw out/in. Find and pull them too. May need to poke a screwdriver in the holes to free crud around them. After you make a hell of a mess, wipe cylinder walls with paper towels and oil well. Next day, put plug in pan and pour a gallon of diesel fuel in pan and leave until you are ready to put oil back in. May need to turn crank several times and wipe walls again until all moisture is gone.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:59 PM

TNRabbit, I'm doing the heads as a follow on to a head gasket job. I saw your thread and went through it last night. I saw put in shiney new freeze plugs. However, I've decided that I just can't go that far right now.
I"ll have to post a pic of the nasty rust.. and gasket crud blocking cooling ports.

Seairescue (Coast Guard?), I like your suggestion re the drain plugs.. I forgot about those. Hmm...
Old 05-25-2007, 07:47 PM

Here's a picture showing both the rust and the FPIG gasket material clogging: