YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
rhd
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to rhd
what vaccum hoses and valves can i remove from my 22re?

I don't have emmissions where i live...and i want to clean my engine up some, since all the damned hoses and valves piss me off everytime i pop my hood....

are there any write ups about which hoses can be removed?

and what about egr??
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
Contributing Member

Why? The car will run like crap

Desired: 66 FJ45 shorty

EX's: 89 4X4 V6 Downey'd
72 FJ40 W 350/SM465 powertrax, "Billy"
dlbrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
rhd
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrunner View Post
wow....you're a 電電ing genius.

obvioulsy, i'm asking so that i can get an answer on which ones can be removed and have the truck still run correctly................durka
Old 03-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
rhd
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrunner View Post
wow....you're a ˟˟˟˟ing genius.

obvioulsy, i'm asking so that i can get an answer on which ones can be removed and have the truck still run correctly................durka
Old 03-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #5

All right everybody chill orClick the image to open in full size.

You should try the EGR valve first, my opinion. Disconnect and plug the hose at the top. Go one at a time, then your more likely to know what you can/can't get away with. A few well written threads, including some discussing the removal of the entire EGR system, actually.
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 03-07-2007 at 09:25 PM.
MudHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
rhd
Threadstarter [OP]

i searched for said thread...and didn't really come up with much........link?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #7

go to pirate4x4 and look through the toyota FAQ there is a thread in there about EGR removal. you need a few block off plates, but it gets rid of a whole lot of vacuum lines and extra stuff.
V6 Brakes + MC
A340F auto ---> W56 5-spd swap

...I want a bigger turbo...
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:48 AM   #8

If you can sift through these 2 there's some usefull tidbits, I'll see what else I can round up.
Note ChickenLovers use of "muffler-mender goop" in the first, 2nd page. In the second I discourage the use of any but the metal plate block-off method, vs. a stopper,which wasn't one of my best ideas. I've since changed my setup to such.
/f116/egr-106749/
/f116/egr-removal-106914/
But yeah, a couple block-off plates, plug the vacuum ports, your done.
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 03-08-2007 at 10:21 AM.
MudHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd View Post
wow....you're a 電電ing genius.

And you have a lousy attitude. I think you should go ask this question on Pirate or something. All of a dozen posts and you're insulting other members. Way to go.

03 DC TRD Tacoma 4wd with a bunch of junk. SOLD. Miss it every day.
89 Isuzu Trooper LS 2 door. 2.6, 5 speed. Current daily/trail rig.

Just wheel the stupid thing!!!
But do it responsibly, ok?
Tacoclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoclimber View Post
And you have a lousy attitude. I think you should go ask this question on Pirate or something. All of a dozen posts and you're insulting other members. Way to go.
Well said Tacoclimber

285/75R/16 Goodyear MT/R.
Stevo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Easy enough to lose the fuel pressure regulator VSV:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ine_Pix/8.html

Works fine with just a simple intake-FPR vacuum hose and no change in emissions or driveability.
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
4Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #12
Contributing Member

http://www.yotatech.com/ytrules.php

Your question is strange, you want to remove the vacuum lines simply because they upset you to look at them?

In general emmissions standards get more stringent every year. Even though you may not have smog rules where you live now, What happens if you move? What will you do if the area you live in adopts emissions rules?

The engine was designed to run with those lines in place. Do you expect a large HP increase with the lines disconnected?

I don't see any benefit to removing any vacuum lines, and if you screw it up your engine will run like crap.

Good Luck!

Desired: 66 FJ45 shorty

EX's: 89 4X4 V6 Downey'd
72 FJ40 W 350/SM465 powertrax, "Billy"
dlbrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #13

I share his dislike for them but not to the point where i'm gonna take them off.... But IMO the worst thing they done to a motor was wrap it in rubber lines!!
Robrt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:31 AM   #14
rhd
Threadstarter [OP]

i don't see how it's strange in anyway. there is a plethora of rubber lines there that are just asking to get mixed up, dry rot and crack, and generally just get in the way when i've got soemthing to do internally to the engine. And 90% of the time the majority of vac lines are useless.....systems like EVAP, fast idle crap, and systems like EGR. I could care less of emmissions...where i live, it will not be a problem, ever. I've never had a vechicle that has kept a cat, egr, or any other emmissions bull電電 that the tree huggers in cali decided were a necessity to save the trees. Not so much bitter about it...as they just annoy me when i have to work on a vehicle and track down a problem for a customer...whne it almost always is a worthless problem related to emmissions equipment.

and as for my attitude, if someone wants to be a dick.....i will also be a dick. respect is a mutual thing, and only earned.

for the people that have helped, i appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:50 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to OSU4Runner
He wasn't being a dick, just stating the obvious, those systems are there for a reason. People are here to help, I know I've learned alot on here. Lose your attitude or take it somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd View Post
i don't see how it's strange in anyway. there is a plethora of rubber lines there that are just asking to get mixed up, dry rot and crack, and generally just get in the way when i've got soemthing to do internally to the engine. And 90% of the time the majority of vac lines are useless.....systems like EVAP, fast idle crap, and systems like EGR. I could care less of emmissions...where i live, it will not be a problem, ever. I've never had a vechicle that has kept a cat, egr, or any other emmissions bull?…?…?…?… that the tree huggers in cali decided were a necessity to save the trees. Not so much bitter about it...as they just annoy me when i have to work on a vehicle and track down a problem for a customer...whne it almost always is a worthless problem related to emmissions equipment.

and as for my attitude, if someone wants to be a dick.....i will also be a dick. respect is a mutual thing, and only earned.

for the people that have helped, i appreciate it.

2000 4Runner Limited

16x8 Pro Comp Steelies wrapped in 285/75R16 Pro Comp M/T'S~RB 2" Body Lift~SS 1.2 Lift~1st Gen Roll Bar~Surco Safari Rack~ Trail Gear Sliders~Deckplate Mod w/ True Flow~Satoshi Grille~Hayden 1678 Aux Cooler~Safari Snorkel and a bunch of other crap.....

Last edited by OSU4Runner; 03-11-2007 at 07:52 AM.
OSU4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:29 PM   #16
rhd
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo83 View Post
He wasn't being a dick, just stating the obvious, those systems are there for a reason. People are here to help, I know I've learned alot on here. Lose your attitude or take it somewhere else.
he pretty much was being a dick with that blanket statement...besides being 100% ignorant. 90% of the systems added on to cars relating to emmissions can be removed with NO ill effect on driveability...and will usually restore some lost power or gas mileage. I'm just wondering which ones are removable...as in EGR, evap, cold start, and the like. there's no reason for you to be posting...as you have obviously have no benifit to me or anyone asking the saw question.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #17
Contributing Member

Well, starting when the engine is cold is pretty handy, would hate to have to hop out with a can of starting fluid every time I wanted to crank it up on a cold morning.

Evap is a good thing, too. Instead of having your gasoline fumes evaportate and waft away into the air, trap them in a charcoal cannister and then suck them back into the engine for fuel. At $3+/gal. probably a money saving thing there.

EGR is not terribly bad, it only operates at part throttle and helps keep the combustion temps and pinging down and helps w/ fuel economy a bit.

I did mention you can pull off the fuel pressure regulator plumbing, just run the one hose. Same with the power steering VSV, block off those lines and get rid of them as well. Don't really do anything major, not emissions or preformance related.
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
Old 03-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #18

If you pull the fuel pressure regulator vac line will rise about 10psi which can cause extra fuel usage.
gametom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #19
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gametom View Post
If you pull the fuel pressure regulator vac line will rise about 10psi which can cause extra fuel usage.
Read my writeup on that, you don't remove the line, you remove the VSV and it's lione and instead run a single line from intake to FPR. Fuel pressure rises and falls with engine load (vacuum) and it works just fine.

Before:
Click the image to open in full size.

After:
Click the image to open in full size.

The VSV is gone, the wire to the VSV is gone, the vacuum hose to the VSV is gone, now there is just a single hose from the intake manifold to the FPR (the one that goes up and over the intake plenum and down to the FPR).

And yes, this would be a vacuum line, that if removed entirely, would cause poor operation, worse fuel economy and who knows what other problems. Try it and see, engine will hardly idle at all and until you hit about 2000-2500 RPM, it bogs down so bad that it is hard to drive. But that said, you can simplify things, reduce them to the bare minimum (that is one single vacuum line) and still have a perfectly functioning engine. The VSV and all that other stuff is only there on 4WD 22REs, not present on 2WD and passenger car engines. Supposed to fix some sort of hot start problem, but in 5+ years of running direct, have never seen the hot start problem appear and have driven/wheeled in 100+ temps w/o issue.
Gettin'Off 4WD Club

Last edited by 4Crawler; 03-13-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
Evap is a good thing, too. Instead of having your gasoline fumes evaportate and waft away into the air, trap them in a charcoal cannister and then suck them back into the engine for fuel.
I've got a question about that.

I have a line from my Throttle Body running to my charcoal cannister, and considering it's before the point that fuel enters the equation, what's really the point? Plus (I'd have to double check to be sure), I think my charcoal cannister has a line that actually dumps to inside the frame(there is a line going into the frame through a little grommet, line doesn't actually attach to anything.

I ask because I'm planning to swap to a larger 60mm TB from a 7M, and while there is a line that could work for the charcoal cannister, the fitting on the 7M TB is approx 2mm in diam, where as the stock 22RTE fitting is about 6mm in diam.
V6 Brakes + MC
A340F auto ---> W56 5-spd swap

...I want a bigger turbo...
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
22re, 22rec, delete, egr, evap, hose, hoses, intake, line, lines, minimum, pictures, removal, remove, system, vaccum, vacuum