Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what price range am i looking at to swap a 22re in my 93 pu?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what price range am i looking at to swap a 22re in my 93 pu?

i have a 93 4x4 toyota pickup that my bro. blew the motor on. the truck was my spare car and he needed to borrow a car so i lend him my truck and he didn't really took good care of it. the oil was running low and i guess he didn't knew about it and by the the time he notice it, it was too late. anyways, i bought a used motor for it and wanted to swap it myself but don't have much knowledge in automechanic, so i was wondering does anybody know what kind of price range am i looking at to have a shop to do it. every time i see a toyota pu, i just really missed mines. or does anybody know any shops in the sacramento, ca area would be nice...thanks in advance
Old 12-03-2009, 09:14 AM

if you have access to tools itd be better to do it yourself in my opinion, there is plenty of write-ups on here,

i paid $1150 at a shop, they quoted me 4 days, took them a month, "due to my block"

i could have done it my self for about half that
Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 AM

For the cost of having someone do it for you, I would consider buying a rebuilt engine as opposed to a used one. I would hate to pay over a grand to put a motor in that is not under warranty. If you can do it yourself, then you are not losing too much if that motor were to fail soon. It is a pretty big job for a do it yourselfer even if you have done it before.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
if you have a decent motor, i would freshen up everything before dropping it in.
for about $300 from ENGNBLDR you could get a complete gasket kit and timing cover / chain etc etc etc, for a few bucks more ,the master rebuild kit.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:49 AM

I would try all of the above but with not much of knowledge of auto mechanic under my belt is a lil bit stressful
Old 12-05-2009, 12:47 PM

I would ask your self if you want to learn to work on trucks.
If you do buy a wrench set, socket set, beaker bar, torque wrench, engine hoist.
Then read the Factory Service Manual for your truck. In my sig there are links to FSMs.
If you pull/install the motor it will save you money which will cover the cost in tools.
The 22re is a pretty simple motor to work on and pulling the motor is pretty straight forward. Most people start with brakes and oil changes though.
The normal mistakes are not loosening the crack pulley bolt while the transmission is still hooked up, breaking the electrical connectors (they are generally a little brittle), forgetting about the allen bolt that hold the intake on, forgetting the bolt that joins the head to the timing cover and not labeling every single part and making notes.
Basically the head and block are fried. You don't have anything to loos as long as you are very careful with the efi system because you will need to reuse it.
In my opinion working on vehicles sucks but it nice to know and the best way to learn is by jumping in feet first.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:31 PM

Trust me i got all the parts u mention above. I was ready to do it myself. I did reseaech and bought the haynes manual. I got all the vaccum hoses labeled and pull apart but the haynes manual is driving me nuts and plus i dont have much knowledge in automechanics
Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With the 22re's, it's pretty much a "put it back where it came from" repair. The only issues you may encounter involve the vacuum switching valves (they were mounted to the valve cover), if the new engine is "complete" and has all of that still attached.
You can save yourself some head scratching over that if you swap the longblock (head and engine block), pulling everything off of your engine and putting those on the replacement engine.

If you pull the intakes, look out for the hidden bolt (it has an allen head instead of a regular bolt head) that goes through the intake, near the thermostat, into the cylinder head.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a little side question here. If one decides to do the rebuild themselves, how long should one expect it to take a ship to bore and hone the cylinders? I'm thinking about rebuilding now after all these threads.

I figure I can take a day to get everything apart and lift the block out of the engine bay, take it down in the evening to get it done and pick it up the next day. Could it be easily done in 3 days? 4 days maybe?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would allow at least 3 days for the shop to do the work, correctly, once they start on it. The block should be cleaned, checked for cracks & deck irregularities, bored and honed, then cleaned again, including oil gallies. Each step in the process can take hours to do right.

Last edited by abecedarian; 12-05-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I would allow at least 3 days for the shop to do the work, correctly, once they start on it. The block should be cleaned, checked for cracks & deck irregularities, bored and honed, then cleaned again, including oil gallies. Each step in the process can take hours to do right.
How much should a shop charge for this entire process?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
Just a little side question here. If one decides to do the rebuild themselves, how long should one expect it to take a ship to bore and hone the cylinders? I'm thinking about rebuilding now after all these threads.

I figure I can take a day to get everything apart and lift the block out of the engine bay, take it down in the evening to get it done and pick it up the next day. Could it be easily done in 3 days? 4 days maybe?
I'm now about 10 weeks into my first engine rebuild since I pulled the engine. The shop took 8-9 days just to check out my block. Then I ordered parts, waited for them to arrive, took them to the shop, and waited longer for everything to be done.

This isn't a quick process. I've been busy researching and learning as I go along. A second time through would no doubt go faster, but if you're expecting to knock out a first time engine rebuild in a week or so, forget it.

Before I took this on I wondered how people could spend months rebuilding an engine. How could it take so long? Spend some time actually working on it and you'll find out how that works.

As for cost, I spent $350ish at the machine shop. Add in the price of a rebuild kit. All the other odds and ends add up quickly. I'll be into this rebuild for about $2K counting clutch, new clutch hydraulics, Engngbldr head and cam, etc.

I want to learn, know what is in my engine and how it is put together. If you aren't interested in that, rebuilding yourself may not be worth it.

Last edited by flyingbrass; 12-05-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:42 AM

The haynes manual is nice to have for light reading but does not always go into the detail that you may want. The FSM is loaded with info to the point of making it cluttered, but the needed info is almost always there. http://ncttora.com/fsm/1993/index.html

I would allow 2 month to change out your first engine. This makes it more fun, because there is not a dead line. When you get pissed off at it you can take a break and come back the next day or the day after.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:18 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
My vehicle is not a primary one, so I have no deadline. wanted to have it up and running before winter but too late now.
The worst thing I could think would be to set a deadline. Honestly, I could have had this whole process done in likely a week or 2 of off and on putzing on it. And I've NEVER done anything like this before. Keep your list of things to do today short and expect that realisticaly you are going to encounter something....whether it be that you need a tool (a deep 14mm socket , 1/2'' breakerbar, 6 -point 19mm impact socket.....as some examples) or that you are trying to compile a realistic and sensible order of doing things when you combine all your manuals and YOTATECH advice.

It can be done.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 AM

you can do it ninja, i ahve yotatech faith!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would listen to everything that whokrz said in this thread.

You want to learn or pay people all of your life. IF you have the money and no timetable, within reason, this is the perfect time.

Lots of help here if you get stuck.