Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What if my timing on the timing belt is completely off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What if my timing on the timing belt is completely off?

Hi,

I have a question regarding Timing Belts in general. So, I have learnt that 3VZ-E is a non-interference engine. So If I get my timing wrong for whatever reason. How can I fix all the crankshaft and camshaft timing back.

So, my steps to fix the above would be these, I just need re-assurance:

1) Turn the crankshaft to TDC and ensure that Cylinder #1 Piston is all the way up
- I will be removing the cylinder heads, so I can easily re-position the pistons and crank
- There are other ways such as using the spark plug hole to know pos of piston

2) Put the Camshaft pully back with notchs alligned.
3) Put timing belt back on and follow the steps....

So, In short, you really do not have to care alot when taking timing belt off if you going in for a head-gasket job for example where u will be taking the head off & engine is non-interference as you easily reposition everything perfectly when putting stuff back together, correct?

Why I am asking all this is to reduce my timing belt phobia since I a novice & also doing a head-gasket job and my timing might go off when taking those cam bolts out.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The stuff you wrote above is correct. It doesn't matter if things get rotated and moved around while you have things apart. There are always easy ways to verify that you are at TDC compression on #1 when you put things back together.

You'll also have to make sure your distributer is clocked right when you re-install it (follow the FSM).

It's not a bad job on the 3VZE... just take your time, label everything, use lots of little plastic baggies to store your nuts & bolts, and store the nuts & bolts with the component they go with until you're ready to re-install them.

There are lots of good threads here for the 3.0L head gaskets and timing belt jobs.