86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what happened

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what happened

so two days ago my drive shaft decided "hey i don't need bolts anymore i think i like pavement more." so it took a leap of faith and kinda drug across the ground for like 150 feet. so i get it home and went to home depot and replaced the front bolts with some temporary bolts. than i hopped into my 4runner and turned the key. the first hing i noticed is that the clutch peddle felt super gritty like their was sand in it or something, the second thing i noticed was that the it only turned over twice before stopping and the starter started to make this super weird grinding noise. my first thought was that the negative terminal was lose so i tightened it and tried again, no luck same noise, than i got out of the car and saw that the positive terminal was smoking so i figured that the ground to the starter was dirty, so i cleaned it and every ground on the car, and behold still no luck, after that i replaced that starter and the battery with a much bigger one, than the starter started making a thumping noise, so i got out and tried to turn the motor by hand at the crank shaft bolt and it wont even turn, some one for the love of god please help because i can't seem to figure out wtf is happening. about a week ago i replaced the head gasket, port and polished the cylinder head, ported the intake manifold, got a bigger cam, replaced gaskets, timing chain cover was replaced, tc guides, chain, water pump, and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:38 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Hmmm. You're putting so much power into a stalled starter that the battery terminal is smoking, and your first thought is to arrange for MORE power? (by working on the grounds and replacing the battery) I guess this is the BFH school of auto diagnostics.

Since those bolts didn't just simultaneously run for the hills, I'm guessing you had few of them loose, one broke first, the drive shaft slipped out of alignment and stalled, and you used 100+ horsepower to eventually shear right through the other bolts. Meaning you were driving all that horsepower through your clutch etc. into a stuck driveshaft. While the bolts are the obvious casualties of that calamity, I'm sure a lot of other stuff broke as well.

If you're lucky, it's only just the clutch, and maybe the flywheel. I'm going to guess you tore enough off the clutch to jam it up inside, keeping the flywheel from turning even with the starter (and certainly with a wrench). If I'm right, the insides of the clutch look like they went through a blender, and a "gritty" clutch pedal is to be expected.

In any event, I'd gently pull the transmission to take a look. If the clutch is mangled, carefully remove it, then CAREFULLY turn the engine with a wrench. If that seems good, you probably ought to check the runout at the crank. And once reassembled check the runout at the flywheel. Of course, you'll want to make sure you can easily turn the transmission by hand once it's sitting on the floor.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2015, 12:49 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I like that the BFH theory in diagnostics!!

I have to wonder you felt no vibration in the driveline before this happened??

Then maybe you had the wrong bolts holding the driveshaft this is one area you need the correct factory bolts.

Just what caused those bolts to come loose??

How bad are the flanges egg shaped ?? If the are they need replaced !!

Pull a starter out and not even check if that was the issue.

The fact that something is jammed in there will make removing the transmission interesting .

Funny it does not take much to lock things up

You have some work ahead of you Good Luck!!
Old 08-15-2015, 03:07 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
loosing a d/s can play hell with a transmission & t/c.
a company i used to work for had a work van's drivetrain destroyed when the d/s broke.
a local wheeler had his entire transfer case destroyed due to 2 lose bolts on his d/s

I got lucky when I lost my rear d/s at 35 after hearing some clunking sounds. No damage other than my pride and grinding on the yoke and having to drive home in front wheel drive with a fully locked front end.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have changed U-joints but now I take a drive shaft to a shop and have them to do it. Only thing I have to worry about is getting the bolts on good and tight. A drive shaft coming loose can be a bad day. Somethings are worth having done instead of taking the cheap way out. My guess is it was a previous U-joint job that didnt get done correctly.