Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What are freeze plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i had 3-8" of ice on the carpet, chipped it off with a screwdriver, but back on topic. Frost plugs suck to get out, so good luck your going to need it.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol. I hate the carpet ice too. I never had that problem with my '93, but since the carpet was ripped in the 4runner right in front of the clutch pedal, ice built up there. Also, my sister's Heep Liberty got some massive ice in front of the clutch and gas pedals.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:15 AM

i'm gonna go up today and see if i can see which one or ones popped . how do you change them?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A freeze plug is there to allow the removal of the casting sand from when the engine block was originally cast. They won't stop block damage from a frozen water jacket.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:24 AM

so more than likely it would need a new motor?is that the only way they go is from frozen water?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:03 AM

i just went up and checked the the truck out again. none of the freeze plugs on the sides of the block look popped or leaking. i couldnt see the one at the back but didnt look like there was coolent at the back anywhere.the radiator is empty i only had a 600 ml of water so didnt have aenough to fill it up or anything.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
A freeze plug is there to allow the removal of the casting sand from when the engine block was originally cast. They won't stop block damage from a frozen water jacket.
Right, also known as "core plugs" which is what I call them. There is only a possibility that one will pop if the coolant freezes. Even if a plug isn't pushed out, they can still rot through, especially steel plugs that the manufacturers like to use.

To remove them, try to knock it sideways and pull it out. Pushing it all the way into the block will make things a lot harder.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
Exactly right. Fill er up with water and see if she'll crank up. Actually, you wouldn't have to start it up. Start looking because if one is busted, you'll know it real soon. If you do find one busted, you might as well plan on pulling the engine and give that block a good check also. Replace ALL of the freeze plugs while you got it out. I'm like the others, even if it's busted, you could still part it out for more than you paid for it.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, they 'can' prevent damage to the block in case the block freezes, but typically only if the antifreeze is in good condition and at the proper mixture since the coolant will tend to freeze slower than depleted coolant / straight water and will slush before freezing. The freezing is most likely to occur at the point of highest thermal transfer which happens to be the thin, bare brass plugs, not the heavier iron engine block.

but like said, fill it with water and go leak hunting... take some starting fluid out to see if you can get it running. you can find used engines for a few hundred to a thousand, rebuild that one for the same, maybe less, or as mentioned part it out. you could probably get a few hundred each for the frame, trans, and a little less for the other parts like ECU, interior, etc. and make your money back plus some... or even make a hybrid project- combine the two trucks so you have the xtra cab with your std cab's engine, etc. and then sell the left-overs.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by 87toyy
i'm gonna go up today and see if i can see which one or ones popped . how do you change them?
You hammer in a screwdriver (not the SnapOn!) until you punch a hole in the plug, then you pry it out. To put in a new one, get a big socket (almost the size of inside of the plug) and tap it back in.

But, seriously. If you somehow knew that all it needed was a new freeze plug or two, then this might be worth it. But you don't know that. If a freeze plug has been pushed out, it's sure possible it cracked part of the block first. And it might be a fine crack; one that you wouldn't find until you put 50 hours and $1800 into a rebuild. And the block isn't the only thing you have to think about; every part of the truck has been sitting around slowly rusting away.

The plus side is that there's a limit to how bad you can screw up. If you've got the time and some money, this is a better vehicle to learn engine rebuilding than your 2008. Just be prepared to for a long journey.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what are freeze plugs? a major PITA. enuf said? lol. id say go for it, why not.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
what are freeze plugs? a major PITA. enuf said? lol. id say go for it, why not.
I'm starting to wonder what they are too. Though in 20 years I've seen more frozen blocks, salvageable with popped freeze plugs than ones that required replacing the block, apparently they don't do that.

So maybe I don't live in the right place, where engines freeze, but statistics are statistics and anyone can make them say what they want. And considering I've said that sometimes they don't work, then that means they don't work all the time.

Last edited by abecedarian; 04-16-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:16 AM

i hooked the jumper cables up to it and it wouldnt turn over. i could turn the motor by hand so i know its not seized. the clutch is sticky i put it to the floor and had to pry it back up with my foot. its been sitting since atleast 07 i'd say when the mvi ran out, so theres probably lots of stuff seized up. i looked at all the freeze plugs except for the back one and felt them none seemed rotten or popped out so i'd have to fill it with water try to find the leak. the box is shot the frames good but getting scaley from sitting.cab needs work interior is really dirty. starting to think its prob gonna need more work than i have time for right now.it would be a good rig for parts if i end finding an ext cab down the road.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:33 AM

Many times jumper cables are not enough. You probably need to put another battery in it (a fully charged one) and try it again. The battery that's in it no doubt has been frozen and is toast.