Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What fluid to use in my t-case?

Old 03-19-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What fluid to use in my t-case?

Hi all, new guy here.

I have a '92 4Runner that I recently picked up and I'm trying to figure out what fluid to use in my transfer case.

The truck has the 3.0 V-6 which I assume is the 3VZE.
It's a 5 speed manual, which according to my research should be the R150F
Which means I think I should have the VF1A transfer case. It does have the 5 bolt rear cover. This should be a chain driven model, which I thought needs ATF Dextron fluid in it. However I took off the top fill plug and stuck my finger in there, and it appears it is filled with gear lube, not ATF fluid. It's fairly thick and amber color, rather than thinner and red in color.

So did I guess wrong on the parts I have? Is the t-case filled with the wrong stuff? What do you all think, any tips to verify what t-case I have?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2010, 03:50 PM

I think you need to use some 75W90 GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil. I just put some fresh fluid in my t-case although it is a 1990 22RE, and I bought 2 quarts of Valvoline 75W90 GL-5 from Autozone for $5 a piece. I would think your transfer case would take the same. Look in your owners manual if you have one, it should tell you.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:14 PM

Yeah I don't have the manual, but I'm looking at the FSM I just downloaded...

It says:
Transfer oil (Except 3VZ–E A/T):
Oil grade
AN GL–4 or GL–5
Viscosity
SAE 75W–80
Transfer fluid (3VZ–E A/T):
ATP DEXRON)II

So I am guessing that the one that says "except 3VZ-E A/T" might mean that all get the gear lube, except those with an A/T or auto trans, with gets Dextron.
Which means that mine, with a manual, should use gear lube.
At least that's how I read it.

Thanks for the reply Pruney!
Old 03-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stomper4x4
Yeah I don't have the manual, but I'm looking at the FSM I just downloaded...

It says:
Transfer oil (Except 3VZ–E A/T):
Oil grade
AN GL–4 or GL–5
Viscosity
SAE 75W–80
Transfer fluid (3VZ–E A/T):
ATP DEXRON)II

So I am guessing that the one that says "except 3VZ-E A/T" might mean that all get the gear lube, except those with an A/T or auto trans, with gets Dextron.
Which means that mine, with a manual, should use gear lube.
At least that's how I read it.

Thanks for the reply Pruney!
You read it correctly, gear oil with a manual, and ATF with the auto. With the auto trans the transfer case is hydraulically controlled and shares fluid with the transmission.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Yeah the Auto Tranny and T-case share the same fluid I believe that is why it takes ATF fluid. Just get some good 75w90 GL-5 and you'll be good to go. Smart move in changing the t-case oil, most people over look it. How's your front and rear diff fluid look?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:22 PM

Sweet thanks guys. Interesting about the shared fluid, never seen that kind of system before.
pruney, I just did the transmission and it looked great, but I changed it anyway and went synthetic. t-case lube looks pretty clean also, but its getting changed to synth. Later this weekend I will do the diffs.
Then oil change.....
Plugs, wires etc...
Already did front shocks, cleaned everything up, new air filter etc.
Long list of junk to do when you pick up a used car. Fun fun!
There is also some grease that looks like it spun out of the CV boot up front. I can't find a split in the boot so I have to figure out if it leaked somehow or if it's old and was repaired.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:48 PM

As long as the cv's aren't making any noise you should be fine, a little grease around there is normal.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by pruney81
As long as the cv's aren't making any noise you should be fine, a little grease around there is normal.
It's a bit more than a little, it's more like gobs of it. Definitely a LOT more on one side compared to the other. No noise yet and I don't have to depend on using the truck for a whole lot of driving til I can get all this stuff done. I hope it's old grease, just to make my life easier
I'll reinspect it next time I am under there. There must be some way to pull the boot back (assuming no spits in it) to see if everything is greased and clean in there? It's been a long time since I've had a vehicle with CV joints.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:45 PM

If it drives fine and they aren't making any noise while in 4WD I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, these are trucks and they aren't the most quiet or clean running vehicles, but they are solid. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If the cv's are quiet and there isn't any tears I wouldn't worry about it. Remember a 15+ year old vehicle has been through a lot so a little grease build up isn't always a reason for concern.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Sounds good. I'll inspect it for tears once more to be sure. You're right, these are not the most refined vehicles around, but that's kinda what I like about it. My last rig was a bronco that I SAS'ed, not exactly refined either, but it drove surprisingly nice considering. I can't wait to get this thing out on the trails, it should be a blast....and fit better than that big ole bronco too.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
Old 03-20-2010, 02:20 AM

I've had a torn boot on my cv for 10 years now. I just keep packing it with grease every spring and fall. So yeah, maybe it was recently replaced.