Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What else do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What else do I need?

89 22re

I need my timing chain guides replaced, so it's a good time to do multiple things. My plan is to get everything from Engnbldr. I am planning on purchasing the chain kit with metal guide, new timing cover, water and oil pumps, as well as the head gasket kit. I'm not sure what all comes with these items, so I was wondering what else I'll need to purchase, ie head bolts, header/manifold bolts, any other gaskets, etc.

Everyone around me wants $2000-3000 to do it, labor only, so I'll probably be trying it all my self. There are some awesome writeups and pics so I'm not too worried.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do some searching on here, im sure there is a thread about it somewhere.

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're careful, you can do the chain without pulling the head, thus saving you from having to buy the headgasket, head bolts (or studs), exhaust and intake gaskets, etc.

Just need the right tools, engine oil, and some FIPG (form in place gasket) sealant or Hylomar (my favorite- works just about everywhere ).

Water pump should come with the gasket as should the oil pump come with the o-ring.

Be carefull and note which bolt comes from which hole and don't forget the bolt hiding in the oil puddle next to the distributor inside the head / valve cover.

Oh, and maybe new v-belts if it's been a while....
Old 05-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
2000-3000 for a timing chain job??? What are they smoking? That is US $$$'s? that's just nuts.

If you have a digital camera I would recommend you take pics as you remove parts...just in case you get sidetracked you can scroll through them and have a way to identify what part went where...Good luck...

Also see this FSM LINK it should have the manual you need if you need some help
Old 05-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
2000-3000 for a timing chain job??? What are they smoking? That is US $$$'s? that's just nuts.
I agree. You can get a fully rebuilt engine for less than 2K.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:35 PM

Thanks all. I've only called 4 places and that seems to be the range, however one quoted $1700 and 22 hours labor. I've read through Yotatech enough to know they are way off. I live outside of Detroit, so that might have something to do with it.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2009, 07:10 PM

22 hours labor for a timing chain?!?! a dude at work put a timing belt on a front wheel drive protege today for 3 hours labor!!! and i work at a dealer!

Last edited by mattaway; 05-21-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:28 AM

Don't rub it in. I would like to have it done by a pro, but it doesn't seem like I can find a good Toyota mechanic. I'll probably call a dealership today. At this point it can't hurt.

I looks like me and a few friends are going to be doing it. We are definitatley taking pics of every step.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 AM

I did mine a few years ago. Had little experience, did lots of online research and went to work. Got a chain kit with water pump, oil pump, new belts and coolant hoses. Did it without removing the head, dropped the oil pan to give me a little more room to slide the cover back on.

Took me a while, but, I am happy with the results.