Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What does SR5 stand for?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does SR5 stand for?

I know I know, im stupid lol. My pickup is an SR5 model and I dont know what it is. Ive heard it means Sport ralley 5sp but....eh....I don't know. I heard it was also the trim package for power windows, locks, so forth but my pickup is manual everything, automatic transmission. 3.0 V6
Old 12-11-2010, 04:05 AM

surely rusts after 5 years , sometimes runs after 5 years , joke ,its just a trim package.
u can google it 2 get the history of sr5

Last edited by waynesworld; 12-11-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
SR5 stands for Sport Rally 5 speed
SR5 stands for Sport, R as in engine family RE (EFI) & 5 as in 5 speed transmission

Somewhat correct with the above answer though not fully accurate.
SR5 generally denotes a specifc Toyota trim level, with a more
sporty look, firmer suspension and wide flexibility for options. The SR5 package was first introduced in around 1975 for Toyotas HiLux model and did mean
Sport Rally 5-Speed at that time but no longer is designated for those specific options now

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_...#ixzz17oCxX04u

In the latter part of the 1970's, the SR5 connotation denoted an option code
for the HiLux series of trucks, similar to what the Z71 option code currently
means for an upgraded Chevy or GMC pickup or Tahoe/Yukon. Originally released
around 1975, the 'S' denoted Sport, 'R' denoted the RN motor code, and '5'
denoted the 5-speed transmission. It quickly caught on and the SR5 connotation
passed onto the Corolla and then onto other Toyota car models

**these are out of the first few things that popped up on

Last edited by dropzone; 12-11-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:56 AM

I dont think the 5 stands for 5 speed. I had a Tacoma that was an SR5, but it was an automatic.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:08 AM
Fossilized
Staff

SR5 was in use for 20 years before Taco's came out...5 Speeds used to be a big deal 35 years ago...
As Toyota evolved SR5 came to note a trim package...
Old 12-11-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
SR5 stands for Sport, R as in engine family RE (EFI) & 5 as in 5 speed transmission

sporty look, firmer suspension and wide flexibility for options. The SR5 package was first introduced in around 1975 for Toyotas HiLux model and did mean
Sport Rally 5-Speed at that time but no longer is designated for those specific options now

Thanks for this right-up dropzone! All these years I had no idea...didn't really care but, I'm just saying that I never thought about it...the things I learn on this site is simply amazing, I don't need 'Google' when I've got people like you...thanks.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone

This is only slightly flawed.

1. There were no SR5s before 1974 when the Corolla SR-5 and S-5 came out.
2. 1975 was the first year for the 2WD Hilux/Pickup SR-5, 1980 for the 4WD Hilux/Pickup SR-5.
3. When you look at your vehicle model code there's a one letter code for the trim package.* R = Regular/Standard, B = Standard Turbo, D = DLX/Deluxe, S = SR5, G = SRT/SR5 Turbo, Q or X = Corolla SR5

So more accurately, it's just a trim package for 4WD pickups/4Runners. It has nothing to do with the transmission being 4 or 5 speed, after 1979 there were SR5 models that had either 5 speed manual or 4 speed automatic transmissions. It has nothing to do with it being an R engine, which is why there are many VZ engine models that are SR5(Corollas never had R engines either). And any truck or 4Runner can be "upgraded" to an SR5 trim package regardless of the engine or the transmission. On 4WD pickups/4Runners it didn't have anything to do with the suspension or ride quality either.

*For example my 88 4WD V6 Long bed Regular cab PU DLX has the vehicle model code VZN66L-MDEA3 = VZN66L is the frame code, M(5 speed Manual Transmission)D(DLX trim package)E(EFI)A(United States market)3(Deckless). To get your vehicle model code enter your VIN on ToyoDIY.com.

Will the real SR5 please stand up?
by SR5
I have noticed quite a few trucks for sale on Ebay lately that are advertised as “original”/ SR5/ rare/ collectible trucks. But looking at the VIN, its easy to tell that they are not “original” SR5 trucks. I wish there were a way to report the false advertising, but it seems that you can say just about anything in your Ebay listings. So best to be informed about what you are actually buying before clicking the bid button, or laying out the cash from a roadside sale.

Since alot of parts are available, it’s not too difficult to update your truck to an “SR5″. Depending on the year and model most of the SR5 upgrades are “bolt ons”. Finding a donor truck at a junkyard could net a set of gauges, bucket seats, carpet, and interior panels. Finding stripes & decals that most SR5 models sported is nearly impossible these days, so that could be a first clue when approaching a truck for sale.

In the end, the only way to know for sure is to check the VIN code. This is really a good idea anyway to make sure you are buying the right truck. For example, first generation Toyota trucks had 3 models: regular, deluxe, and SR5. Well thats not quite true as 1981* was the first year for SR5 pickups. Previously they were known as Sport models. In any case, for each model there is a letter in the VIN code that corresponds with the model. ‘R’ = regular, ‘D’ = Deluxe, and ‘S” indicates that the truck is indeed an SR5 model.

This is not to say that a Deluxe Toyota truck isnt worth anything. But when the seller tries to extract a few exta Ben Franklins from you by claiming its a rare original SR5, you will at least have the knowledge to say, “I dont think so”.
*It's actually 1975 according to the brochure found on ToyotaReference.com

Last edited by MudHippy; 03-26-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:55 PM

It doesn't mean jack squat from as far as I can tell.

My 95 4Runner is an SR5 and it is devoid of any decent features. No power windows, no power locks, no a/c, no running boards (not that I'd want them) etc.

It seems to me that the SR5 trim level is indeed very dependant on the year of the vehicle. With that said I think it didn't mean much on the 90-95 Toyotas.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Sport
Rally
5 speed

Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 PM

I've understood it as Sport Rally 5 speed as well. Although in real terms, yeah, it's not too specific anymore as I've had 4 SR5s, 2 of them automatic, from one being a stripped out 4 cylinder with no PW/PDL/PM, to one being a top of the line G144 truck with leather.

Last edited by 99blackSE; 12-13-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by MudHippy
This is only slightly flawed.

hence why I quoted the source and post #5.

Always goods to have the info expanded on.
SR5.com wasn't cooperating for some reason when I checked there
Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 PM

After some exhaustive research, I've been enlightened as to what SR-5 truly does, or rather did, stand for. Are you ready? You're sure? This is pretty ground-breaking monumental stuff we're talking here. I mean this has been questioned for decades with no real solid proof as to what it really did/does stand for. O.k., if you insist...hold on tight!

Alrighty then, here we go:

In 1974 when the first SR-5 vehicle was introduced, the Corolla SR-5, SR-5 was refered to as "the double driving system". Which was meant to define the dual combining of a sports car's characteristics with those of a "money-saving" car into a single car having attributes enabling it to fulfill the rolls of both car types(best of both worlds concept). Sporty in the sense of it being a 2-door coupe with bucket seats, a simulated wood grain instrument panel/console trim/steering wheel/shift knob, a "peppy" 1588cc hemi-head engine, a 5-speed manual transmission, wider radial tires, fender flares, a firmer MacPherson strut suspension than the other Corolla models(except the S-5), an anti-sway bar, power front disc brakes, an 8000 rpm tachometer, racing stripes(yes, racing stripes!), and an AM radio as standard equipment(optional for all other models except the S-5). Money-saving in the sense that 5th gear provided an overdrive that would save you money in gas and wear on the engine(lowering engine rpm reduces wear + lowering engine rpm vs. vehicle/wheel speed increases fuel economy). There was also another sporty model Corolla produced that year, "the less expensive version of the double driving system" dubbed the Corolla S-5. Which was basically the same vehicle as the SR-5 minus the wider tires, fender flares, and the racing stripes(though it did have "sporty 5-speed tape stripes"). The S-5 model was discontinued after it's first year however, to be replaced by the Deluxe model in 1975.

And, of course, there was the not-so-sporty version of the Corolla SR-5 and S-5, the Corolla 1600 Coupe. The 1600 Coupe being, essentially, the "base model" for the SR-5 and S-5 option packages. So it's probably more accurate to say that the SR-5 and S-5 were the sportier(real word) versions of the 1600 Coupe. Since it was basically the same vehicle as either, minus the 5-speed manual transmission, wider radial tires, fender flares, firmer MacPherson strut suspension, anti-sway bar, power front disc brakes, 8000 rpm tachometer, racing stripes/tape stripes, and AM radio(as standard equipment). Four other Corolla models were also available in 1974, the 1600 2-Door Sedan, 1600 4-Door Sedan, 1600 Wagon, and the 1200 2-Door Sedan.

So what did SR-5 originally stand for then? You guessed it, S = Sport model, R = Racing stripes, 5 = 5-speed manual transmission. And it was originally hypenated like that too.

For proof of this see the 1974 brochure for the Corolla found here: http://www.toyotareference.com/corolla/1971-1974

After 1980, when it was first applied to 4WD pickups, it didn't necessarily mean many of those things(even for Corollas). And could mean other things, like mag/mag-type wheels, a better than standard sound system, and tinted glass. It could also mean a 2WD truck with a soft-ride rear suspension. Though the racing stripes were still a part of the package, there were no suspension, braking system, or other performance differences between 4WD pickup/4Runner models(such as the Regular/Standard, Standard Turbo, and Deluxe). Some of the other models came with stripes too, just not the racing-style found on SR5s. So the only things really "sporty" about it, besides the racing-style stripes, would be the 8000 rpm tachometer, a couple of other extra gauges, mag/mag-type wheels, tinted glass, and bucket seats. And from 1980 onward, the 5 speed manual transmission was no longer a necessary inclusion in the SR-5 package, a 4 speed automatic transmission with 4th gear overdrive also fit the bill. It also lost it's hyphen and became "SR5" instead of "SR-5" in 1981.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-05-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool, good info, thanks MudHippy.

I actually had an '84 Corolla that was an SR5, it had everything you mentioned above, except the racing stripes. My dad bought it new and as a kid I asked him what SR5 meant and he had no idea, but he said that that package came with a better stereo system with a tape player and better speakers, which was a big deal in 1984, but would probably suck by today's standards.

That was a really fun car to drive, even though it only had a 1.6L, 8 valve, carbureted engine, it was actually when Corollas were sporty and cool looking, rather than the boring cars they are now. I think part of the SR5 then also included a 2 barrel carb also, I think I still have the original bill of sale somewhere showing that as an upgrade option. It was still going strong at 230K when the body was so rusted all around it, that I had to get rid of it in 2000.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:26 AM

Yes, the stereos/radios that came standard on the SR-5/S-5 Corollas were better than the other models. Actually in 1974 none of the other Corollas came with a sound system as standard equipment. An AM radio was optional for every model except the SR-5/S-5. Also optional for all models was either an AM/FM radio(not stereo), or an 8-track stereo tape deck. I didn't feel the need to mention that fact. But since it was technically part of the sport package, I'll edit that in. Also added the simulated wood grain trim bits that were also part of the sport package at the time(which were no longer available in 1984).

The original SR-5 and S-5 Corollas also came with the more powerful of the 2 engines that were offered in 1974. But so did another non-sport package model, the Corolla 1600.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-23-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HighRunner
It doesn't mean jack squat from as far as I can tell.

My 95 4Runner is an SR5 and it is devoid of any decent features. No power windows, no power locks, no a/c, no running boards (not that I'd want them) etc.

It seems to me that the SR5 trim level is indeed very dependant on the year of the vehicle. With that said I think it didn't mean much on the 90-95 Toyotas.
Thats cause you have a base model
Old 01-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Actually you could get an SR5 without the "power group" in the 3gen trucks/2gen runners but it was a rare beast since it was a factory order and most dealers seemed to bring in the fully dressed SR5s. and most folks buying the SR5 wanted all the toys anyway.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
After some exhaustive research, I've been enlightened as to what SR-5 truly does, or rather did, stand for. Are you ready? You're sure? This is pretty ground-breaking monumental stuff we're talking here. I mean this has been questioned for decades with no real solid proof as to what it really did/does stand for. O.k., if you insist...hold on tight!

Alrighty then, here we go:

In 1974 when the Corolla SR-5 was introduced, SR-5 was refered to as "the double driving system". In that it offered the double driving attributes of a sports car and a money-saving car. Sporty in the sense of a simulated wood grain instrument panel/console trim/steering wheel/shift knob, a 5 speed manual transmission, wider radial tires, fender flares, a firmer MacPherson strut suspension than the other Corolla models(except the S-5), anti-sway bar, power front disc brakes, an 8000 rpm tachometer, racing stripes(yes, racing stripes!), and an AM radio as standard equipment(optional for all other models except the S-5). Money-saving in the sense that 5th gear was an overdrive that would save you money in gas and wear on the engine. There was also a Corolla S-5 offered, that was basically the same vehicle minus the wider tires, fender flares, and the racing stripes(though it did have "sporty 5-speed tape stripes"). The S-5 model was discontinued after it's first year, to be replaced by the Deluxe model.

So what did SR-5 originally stand for then? You guessed it, S = Sport, R = Racing stripes, 5 = 5 speed manual transmission.

For proof of this see the 1974 brochure for the Corolla found here: http://www.toyotareference.com/corolla#CO75

After 1979, when it was first applied to pickups, it didn't necessarily mean many of those things(even for Corollas). And could mean other things, like mag/mag-type wheels, a better than standard sound system, tinted glass, and bucket seats. It could also mean a 2WD truck with a soft-ride rear suspension. Though the racing stripes were still a part of the package, there were no suspension, braking system, or other performance differences between 4WD pickup/4Runner models(such as the Regular/Standard, Standard Turbo, and Deluxe). Some of the other models came with stripes too, just not the racing-style found on SR5s. So the only things really "sporty" about it, besides the racing-style stripes, would be the 8000 rpm tachometer, a couple of other extra gauges, mag/mag-type wheels, tinted glass, and bucket seats. And from 1980 onward, the 5 speed manual transmission was no longer a necessary inclusion in the SR-5 package, a 4 speed automatic transmission with 4th gear overdrive also fit the bill.
Great info there, I'm new to Toyota ownership and was wondering what that meant on my 4Runner.