Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What does the "ebrake/battery and at oil temp" lights have in common?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does the "ebrake/battery and at oil temp" lights have in common?

It snowed here today and I dropped my wife of at school, on the way back I noticed my battery/at oil temp and ebrake lights would go on and off and it happened intermitantly as well as when I accelereated sometimes.
They seemed to be flashing on and then of and on but not fast, more like a short.

Vehicle Description:
90 4 runner, A/T, 1" bl, fj80 springs rear, BJ spacer, 4:88 gears, deroit LSD in front, 33x12.5's. I have a custom skid on it as well (front replacement).

The 4runner wasn't hoy on the gauges, it is 20 degrees here (granted travel was slow).

Also my heater gets so hot it dang near burns your arm and also gets the clasp on my watch hot enough to hurt real bad. Any ideas as to this, possibly water pump not circulating enough or ? (it doesn't get over half on the temp gauge and I replaced the thermostat recently due to it downshifting in OD while going downhill.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Alternator okay? If it goes, or the battery sometimes, then you'll get all kinds of dash lights of doom...
Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lights going on and off sounds light your alternator. Not sure about your hot heater.

My experience with pretty dash lights: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/electrical-gremlins-88-pickup-please-help-83641/

Rob

Last edited by rdlsz24; 11-30-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:25 AM

It's just the above mentioned not all of them. It stays on now from my house to work. The battery used to charge at approx. 3/4's the way up on the meter and now it is about half. I would say yes to the alternator except that it's just a couple of dash lights and not all.
It almost seems that possibly those lights share the same circut or grounding point with a possible short causing the intermitent and irregular flashing.

Dont get ne wrong the hot heater is kick butt, just makin sure it's normal or atleast not problems occuring.

Last edited by bullcrew; 11-28-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

You can get the alternator tested, I know its a pain, cause it has to be off the truck, and I dont see a 2nd ride mentioned in your sig, so I assume like mahy of us, you cant afford the downtime....charge your battery real good one night, and the mext morning see if they are on...
Old 11-28-2006, 08:37 AM

Location: From San Francisco, but attending school in Pomona CA
I had the same problem on my 90 last winter and decided to blame the cold... they would come on when the ride was cold and would sometimes stay on throughout the drive. ignored it all winter and spring but as soon as summer rolled around the alternator quit.. best to get it tested.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:41 AM

I'll give it a shot.
Generally when the alternator or battery goes a good indicator is surging lights when blinkers are on or heater/stereo etc are on. It doesn't seem to be dimming at all and the charge isn't fluxuating. Battery is a yellow top optima and all conectors are clean.
I kinda thought that maybe it had something to do with the 1" body lift, possible wires stressed, pressed against metal, loose connector. I don't know if infact these 3 lights share the same circut or grounding point.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

you can always grab an FSM and go to town on the wiring diagrams and check it out. the closest thing Ive got to your truck is a 93 pickup FSM.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 AM

I just went and drove it, everytime I throttle the lights go out for a split second and then come back on. They don't go out when I swerve or brake, just right when I throttle it and then they come back on.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:28 PM

I had the intermitent batt/brake light thing happening after a new battery and alternator. Checked the plug on the alt. and it was loose. Pushed it in good, lights have not came on since.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:34 PM

To beat a dead horse, I'd say alt as well. Check your fuses too.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:22 PM

this same thing happened with my dad's 94. we changed teh alternator and the problem is solved!!
Old 11-28-2006, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bullcrew
It snowed here today and I dropped my wife of at school, on the way back I noticed my battery/at oil temp and ebrake lights would go on and off and it happened intermitantly as well as when I accelereated sometimes.
They are all controlled by a relay operated by alternator output for the "bulb check" feature. When the engine starts, they shut off. But if the engine is running and the alt isnt producing, it thinks the engine is off and all the bulbs come on. In short, replace your brush holder ass'y or replace the whole alternator. Alt isnt producing.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:27 PM

I have the same thing on my 87 pickup. The charge and e-brake light came on as soon as I touch the gas. The next day I had a dead batt. A guy I work with had the exact same thing as me on his toyota car. It wasn't the alt or batt. It was a bad blower relay believe it or not. Its in the black box on the fender under the hood. I put a charged batt in my truck and wiggled the relay and the charge/brake lights went off and my truck is charging again. I think the contacts on my relay might be bad. I don't really know for sure but thought I'd just through that in.

Last edited by CarolinaRedNeck88; 11-28-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:38 PM

this may sound wierd but how old is the battery and what kind is it? (i mean is it a summer or a cold start battery?) cause that happened to me when we went to maine last winter to visit folks, the battery wasn't holding a charge and the alternator was beeing over worked...had to get it jump started severl time, then as i travelled back down south it was fine and never acted up again...was told it was the battery that it was made for the hot summers not the cold winters....and as you mentioned it started as soon as the weather turned cold....just my .02
Old 11-28-2006, 07:04 PM

I have no answer but have a suggestion, Get some electrical contact cleaner and spray the connection on the harness and alternator- get it real clean. then use some di-electric grease on the connector goop it in. there might be some moisture or corrosion that could be causeing the problems. but anyway if that doesn't help it won't hurt either.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:29 PM

Thanks to all who kept beating it into my head that it's the alternator. It was, I changed the brushes and perfecto. The front brush was still making contact the back brush had decided as of this morning to start arcing.

This site is great! It's 16 degrees here today so the right info made for a quick fix.
A VERY BIG THANKS TO ALL ON YOTATECH!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 AM

My ebrake light is basically on all winter long. After my runner is warmed up, it almost acts like a shift light. lol. Same with most of my buddies who have yotas here in Oregon. My headlights flash every time the bass hits!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Might be this:
- http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...nator_brushes/
Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Yeah, pulled the back cover off of my altenator and sprayed it with electra-clean, now working properly again without the lights on the dash flashing at me.

Quick Reply: What does the "ebrake/battery and at oil temp" lights have in common?