YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

What does the distributor air gap do?

I was testing stuff just for the hell of it and came across the "air gap." I got out my feeler gauges and the biggest size I could fit in there was a .53 mm. On this page: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...12onvehicl.pdf , it says .2 - .4 mm AND .2 - .5 mm.

Which one is it?

Can anyone explain what this "gap" does so I can wrap my brain around it?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
29 " all terrains
stock

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

If there is 'no' air gap the Signal Rotor will impact the Pickup Coil and damage both the Signal Rotor and Pickup Coil. If the air gap is 'greater' than the .5mm limit the magnetic field from the signal rotor will be insufficient to be properly detected by the Pickup Coil or may not be detected at all. The results will be no spark from the ignitors or erratic spark from the ignitors.
As for the .1mm (.004") discrepancy between the two ranges given, don't worry about it. To put it in perspective, the average human hair is .1mm in diameter. To put it another way- you're splitting hairs (pun intended).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

http://www.picoauto.com/tutorials/trigger-signals.html
This page should help explain it a little better. It looks like you have a Hall Effect style of distributor whereas the 22re's have the Permanent Magnetic Pickup style.

The air gap is simply the operational range that will produce the acceptable change in the magnetic field as the rotor (not the one in the top of the cap) spins by. Obviously too close = carnage and too loose = bad/no signal.
22RE, 5-speed, LC Street EFI head w/ cam, LC Pistons, ARP Head Studs, Downey header, Dynomax 2 1/4" full exhaust, VDO water temp guage, ASIN manual hubs, 01-03 Tacoma cd\tape radio with 10" Bazzoka, Downey 2" rear springs, GDI radiator. Back to daily driving duties

'68 Ford Mustang Fastback
Daily driver with a built 289 and a streetfighter trans.(Retired)

98 Subaru Outback

2005 Toyota Tacoma
V6, 6 speed stick, Speedway Blue

Waco93.com
Old 01-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansocal View Post
I was testing stuff just for the hell of it and came across the "air gap." I got out my feeler gauges and the biggest size I could fit in there was a .53 mm. On this page: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...12onvehicl.pdf , it says .2 - .4 mm AND .2 - .5 mm.

Which one is it?

Can anyone explain what this "gap" does so I can wrap my brain around it?
The air gap there talking about is the gap between the pick up coil and the stator (i think that`s what its called,the star looking thing in the distributor) in the distributor. The last pick up coil i installed i set at 10 thousandths of an inch, they give you a range in the fsm.

Solid Axle Swap, 5'' lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR`s, Trail Gear High Steer, 5 speed manual swap, InchWorm Duel Cases, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5'' Trail Gear Springs In Front, 27 Spline Chromoly Axles In Front, 4.88 Gears, Detroit Locker In The Rear, High Pinion Front With An ARB, Downey Header, AFM Upgrade, 95 Amp Alternator, Trail Gear Sliders, Addicted Offroad Front Bumper.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

So the signal the magnets make when they are spinning go to the ignitor, then coil? This is interesting considering I also have a code 14, but no CEL.
29 " all terrains
stock

Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

correct mag pickup/hall sensor to igniter to coil back to dizzy.

Build Thread
BMW Thread

87 P/U 4X 5sp Weber Downey Hdr 2.25 Exh EB 268

Old 12-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

My gap is .021 mm, does that .005mm setting apply to a 87 22re 4runner turbo? If so then I just figured out why my injectors won't spray
Old 12-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randu2020 View Post
My gap is .021 mm, does that .005mm setting apply to a 87 22re 4runner turbo? If so then I just figured out why my injectors won't spray
What?

.021mm is less than 0.001 inches (as in; thinner than aluminum foil). Are you sure you're not using an SAE feeler set, and measured .021 inches? (which would be 0.53mm, about) And what .005mm "setting" are you talking about? Are you referring to .2-.5mm ?

Yes, units count.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Staff

randu2020..If you are getting fire to your plugs, there are other reasons that the injectors wont spray. I have not messed with turbo, but seems to me that it is quite similar to non turbo. I am interested in this thread as I have no fire to plugs as well. I think I have a bad wire some where that I have to start tracing out. Waiting on warmer weather.

Check your Pick up Coil inside the distributor for no fire on the plugs. Here is some info about the Pickup Coil>>> http://www.yotatech.com/f198/85-extr...l#post52121343 The Pickup Coil is a solid piece of equipment, but does fail.

You do need to get your Air Gap set correctly.

My 86 4Runner Rebuild
http://www.yotatech.com/f199/terrys8...chance-247386/

My 85 Extra Cab Build
http://www.yotatech.com/f198/85-extr...rusher-263813/

Tools,Tips, and Tricks
http://www.yotatech.com/f122/tools-tips-tricks-278208/

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-24-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:08 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1982, 22r, 22re, air, coil, distributor, do, effect, feeler, gap, gauge, magnetic, pickup, toyota, truck