Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What to do with my toasted 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do with my toasted 22RE

Well, 260000 and of all things, the radiator cap lets loose and kaboom goes the headgasket . by the time I saw the temp gauge going up it was too late

number 1 cyl has water in it...
not to mention the completely worn out timing chain that eat through the guide

Well I don't think this motor is worth trying to bandaid..

EDIT - I figured out how to search the forums a lot better.. found some good stuff..

I am going to get a new engine..

Looks like-

22REperformance - good reviews on here, but they won't answer the phone and the voicemail is full.. not a good sign?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nstall-223908/

DOA racing engines.. don't know much about them

Sunwest automotive engines - recommendations here.. no reports though.

Jasper remanufactured motors - good and bad reviews... my mechanic friend suggested this.

I have loads of time, and enough money. I don't care the price, I just want the most reliable 22RE possible, as this is for my commuter 4runner.

Last edited by n16ht5; 04-11-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Lower mileage junkyard 22re would be the quickest/ cheapest way to get it back on the road
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Ive got all the time in the world, and I have the money. I just need a good solid commuter rig. I've been searching the junkyards, seems every time a 22re comes in the same day there's about 15 people crawling all over it prying every single piece off.

and pull a part got bought out by some douchebag company that overcharges on everything

Last edited by n16ht5; 04-11-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by n16ht5
Well, 260000 and of all things, the radiator cap lets loose and kaboom goes the headgasket . by the time I saw the temp gauge going up it was too late

number 1 cyl has water in it...
not to mention the completely worn out timing chain that eat through the guide

Well I don't think this motor is worth trying to fix up..

I can get remanufactured motor from that place in the midwest for ~$2800 with the kit and everything shipped

or

diesel swap.. it looks like the 2LT half cuts are non existent anymore, as the importer stopped importing 3 years ago.. piecing one together just doesn't sound worth it to me.. unless someone knows a good place that I could get everything all together..

OM617 - needs an adaptor plate and lots of custom work it appears...

now I have seen runners with these swaps, but is it worth it on a commuter?

I am not all that mechanical.. the diesel swap would be way over my head.. I would need a mechanic to help me out there.. if anyone in washington is reading this... I am leaning toward the reman 22re right now.. I just want the truck for commuting to work racking up miles, I have another runner for wheeling.

any input is appreciated, thank you
re-manufactured, for sure! Although having a diesel would be cool, the mpg would be about the same... and have you seen the price of diesel around here??! If you were going for power, that would be one thing, but for a DD, the 22RE is just about the best you can get. Plus, they're a dime a dozen.

Sorry about your rig, that sucks. As for what to do with that motor... send it to me, and i'll shoot 'er up! I've been wanting to see the effects of a few different round sizes through an engine block... ; )
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by 22repower
Lower mileage junkyard 22re would be the quickest/ cheapest way to get it back on the road
HAHAHAHA when pigs fly, will you find one of those around here.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 AM

I dont know why I didnt think of it. Sunwest auto ! theyre in medical lake too..

anybody gone through them?

22repreformance? Heard good things, but theyre answering machine is full and no one is home..

Last edited by n16ht5; 04-11-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
whatever you do dont go with oregon engine builders
Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 AM

If you have the time and money just pull it out and rebuild it, bore it over and get a head and cam from Engnbldr.com, plus you can get a new front cover and steel timing chain guides from them
Old 04-12-2011, 11:47 AM

Look at LC engineering. They have very good motors, with numerous performance options. And since you have plenty of money, you will be pleased with what they offer.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:24 PM

You can do something like this with your toasted engine:

Old 04-12-2011, 01:57 PM

id go with 22reperformance . maybe u can reach em by e mail.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
if you have the time and the money then you've got lots of options - most everyone else has little time and little money, lol. i'd either have it rebuilt with all the goodies/upgrades you want or use the old block as a core for picking up a rebuilt unit. You could also drop some serious cash on an LCE 22re and be set. Dave'z Offroad is one option that I was looking at for my truck - a lot of people like dealing with him and he seems to have great customer support. Another option that almost nobody does (probably because of cost), but I've heard of it being done, would be to have Toyota drop in a new 22re - don't know if it's rebuilt or new or what, but i'd assume that it would have all Toyota parts/gaskets/etc and would be as good as the original engine that was in the rig.

since you have time on your side, might as well call up everyone and start pickin' their brains and getting quotes. figure out who's got the best warranty and who might come out ahead in terms of having them do all the labor vs you doing it, etc.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
if you have the time and the money then you've got lots of options - most everyone else has little time and little money, lol. i'd either have it rebuilt with all the goodies/upgrades you want or use the old block as a core for picking up a rebuilt unit. You could also drop some serious cash on an LCE 22re and be set. Dave'z Offroad is one option that I was looking at for my truck - a lot of people like dealing with him and he seems to have great customer support. Another option that almost nobody does (probably because of cost), but I've heard of it being done, would be to have Toyota drop in a new 22re - don't know if it's rebuilt or new or what, but i'd assume that it would have all Toyota parts/gaskets/etc and would be as good as the original engine that was in the rig.

since you have time on your side, might as well call up everyone and start pickin' their brains and getting quotes. figure out who's got the best warranty and who might come out ahead in terms of having them do all the labor vs you doing it, etc.
Yeah I don't think a lot of people consider that because of the price...but if price isn't an issue, then go at it! I'm assuming all genuine toyota parts will be used.

Also, I think Jasper makes a stock 22re. Jaspers are my favorite for Chevy 350 motors, right along side Vortec
Old 04-12-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
I am currently running a Sunwest motor. No problems. about 12k on the motor. Pulls nice, still getting right around 20 mpg. runs quiet. Happy with it.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:29 AM

thanks for all the input

I think im going to go with jasper. my mechanic buddy says they make the closest thing to stock you can get. im finding too many bad things said about LC and DOA. I can't find anywhere to get a brand new 22RE.

22reperformance obviously doesn't want any business. I am not going to buy an engine over email.

he is going to take the car to his shop and well pull it this weekend

I ordered up a 261 cam from engnbldr and a thorley header from summit. going to get a thrush aero muffler and run 2-1/4" stainless pipe. anything else I should get?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
new catalytic converter if you're already doing the header and new pipe/exhaust. new o2 sensors to match that new system. then start replacing all the other misc stuff that you'd want to have on the fresh engine - new spark plugs, cap/rotor, new plug wires, new vacuum hoses, new coolant hoses, new belts, fuel filter, possibly new soft fuel lines, possibly oil filter relocation, electric fan conversion, etc etc.