Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What do I need to complete a 3.4 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I need to complete a 3.4 swap?

This is my first post here since I've joined and I'm not quite sure how this works. I've tried searching and it seems like everyone starts off with a donor vehicle to complete their 3.4 swap. I found a 3.4 motor from a 98 tacoma with 38k miles on it. I would like to take the motor and put this in my 91 4runner. What else do I need to make this a complete swap, and what can I reuse? I live in Alaska and trying to source things are hard so I would like to make this as painless as I can. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's the 3.4 swap section, you'll find everything you need there:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/

Here's the ORS 3.4 swap technical articales, in it is a good list of what you need:
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/technicalarticles.htm

Welcome to YT and good luck.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.andrewzook.com/content/view/22/48/
Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 PM

Thumbs up

So I'm in a similar position and I have been pouring over these forums and various links for a couple days. I've owned a few 4runners and REALLY want to swap my 3.slo out for a nice new 3.4 but here are my major concerns as of right now.

1st: My new '90 is an auto and I want to do a 3.4 & 5spd swap. I saw that yotaman has done this and I'm wondering about the transmission swap? Clutch, transfer case, matched motor and tranny etc. I've read some of the threads on it and it seems pretty straight forward but I'm concern there is something I'm missing.

2nd: The hood clearance issue. What is the minimum lift I can install to allow proper hood clearance. 1", 1.5", or 2". OCR say 2 but in a couple signature lines say 1 so I'm confused. I'd like to keep the ride height close to stock. I do want a small lift for tire clearance and looks but don't want to go too big.

3rd: Wiring and exhaust crossover. I'd like to keep my cost relatively low. I'm pretty good with a multimeter and have done TONS of DC wiring but I'd like just plug and play for simplicity and time savings. The same can be said for the for the cross over pipe. I can weld and have access to the required tools but I'd like to keep it simple.

4th: I'm in CA and need to pass emissions. So the O2 sensor issue is important to me. So is the ECU year (ie ODB2). I'm curious if anyone can confirm the smog situation with swaps. Is it based on ECU, motor, or vehicle year?

All the help/advice I can get is greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by syber_kowboy; 07-31-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All you need is $$$$$ and time.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by syber_kowboy
So I'm in a similar position and I have been pouring over these forums and various links for a couple days.
Read the links that Mt_goat posted just above your post. there are some quality writeups that will help you avoid some costly mistakes.

Plug and Play: order your harness from ORS..

As far as the CA smog regulations, I would suggest you go straight to your CA emissions, that way you get the correct info and not some stuff second hand that could prove to be incorrect and costly...

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Here's the 3.4 swap section, you'll find everything you need there:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/

Here's the ORS 3.4 swap technical articales, in it is a good list of what you need:

Welcome to YT and good luck.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:57 PM

So I'm in a similar position and I have been pouring over these forums and various links for a couple days. I've owned a few 4runners and REALLY want to swap my 3.slo out for a nice new 3.4 but here are my major concerns as of right now.

1st: My new '90 is an auto and I want to do a 3.4 & 5spd swap. I saw that yotaman has done this and I'm wondering about the transmission swap? Clutch, transfer case, matched motor and tranny etc. I've read some of the threads on it and it seems pretty straight forward but I'm concern there is something I'm missing.

2nd: The hood clearance issue. What is the minimum lift I can install to allow proper hood clearance. 1", 1.5", or 2". OCR say 2 but in a couple signature lines say 1 so I'm confused. I'd like to keep the ride height close to stock. I do want a small lift for tire clearance and looks but don't want to go too big.

3rd: Wiring and exhaust crossover. I'd like to keep my cost relatively low. I'm pretty good with a multimeter and have done TONS of DC wiring but I'd like just plug and play for simplicity and time savings. The same can be said for the for the cross over pipe. I can weld and have access to the required tools but I'd like to keep it simple.

4th: I'm in CA and need to pass emissions. So the O2 sensor issue is important to me. So is the ECU year (ie ODB2). I'm curious if anyone can confirm the smog situation with swaps. Is it based on ECU, motor, or vehicle year?

as far as smog, you first need to see the smog ref in your area, you call, make an appt, and then take your vehicle in. 1996 was the first year of obd2 in toyota and your vehicle will be whatever year your ecm says it is. once the ref passes your vehicle you can smog it anywhere. oh and you have to have a calif engine with all smog that it came with from the factory.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

I chose to go the route of grafting a scoop onto my hood for clearance. I used one from a JDM Starlet, since I couldn't lay my hands on one form a 4Runner Sport.

If you choose to go with a body lift, I would venture a guess that 1" would give basic clearance, but I would think that you would end up denting the hood from inside, once you start driving the truck. The engine moves around quite a bit when you are accellerating.

1 1/2" will probably work well for DD and mild to moderate trails. If you plan to do some serious wheeling, I would go with 2".
Old 07-31-2008, 09:10 PM

1) I'm going on assumption for this part, since I already have a 5 speed. To make things easier, get a 3.4 that's already hooked to a manual. It will come with the flywheel you need. Here comes the assumption: try to get a tranny and transfer case from a manual 3.0, as well. Auto guys can probably answer this better than I can, but I assume the transfer cases are identical between auto and manual, but I don't know for sure. You'll probably want to grab the front driveshaft, as well.

2) I could actually close my hood and rev the engine without a lift. I still opted for a cutout and hood scoop, though, just to make sure. It's just easier that way. Mine is the truck cowl scoop, bottom right pic: http://www.autobarn.net/xxxhoodscoops.html

3) You don't necessarily need a multimeter for the wiring. What you need are GOOD wiring diagrams off Toyota's techinfo website. https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F

Ten bucks per day, download all the manuals you need for your year. Best $10 you'll spend on the swap. It took me less than an hour to download everything. The goal with the wiring swap is to link your new harness to the underdash harness. Typically, there are two body plugs you need to splice. All you have to do is cross-reference what wire on the 3.4 matches the function on the body harness, like your ignition wire. There are around 23-30 wires to splice. You'll probably also need to run another plug to the back of the engine computer to power it. I cut mine off the 3.0 harness. The other plugs are already on the harness and need no modifications. You will have to solder a resistor to the back of your tach, as well, plus splice your 3.0 charging circuit to your alternator, because your 3.4 charging circuit will do nothing.

The crossover you can do yourself or have one built. I had one built for $200. Then I had another one built for another $200 because I screwed up the design of the first one. All you have to do is keep it tight to the bellhousing and follow it's shape down the driver's side of the transmission. Someone on here built one for about $3.00, I think.

4) My somewhat thin understanding of your emission tests require that the new engine be from a model year newer than the old one. You'll need all your O2 sensors (one pre-cat, one post-cat, though I think there are some models of the motor with 3 O2 sensors...someone correct me on this), plus the OBD port and EVAP canister.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:31 PM

Guys thanks so much for all the great links and information. I have a pretty good understanding of the swap now and will more than likely have a bunch more questions as I get closer to taking my engine swapping vacation. I still am a little unsure about the auto to manual transmission switch. The more I think about it the harder it gets to decide. From what I have read the auto swap is more challenging and I'd prefer a manual tranny anyway. However I am seeing that I'm going to need a transfer case from an older truck to match up with the tranny so the output is on the passenger side. Will the transfer case from my A340 work or do I have to chase down another model. Can I bolt in a newer manual and pair it with an older transfer case. I'm going to keep asking stupid questions and build my checklist prior to buying parts and looking into a place to do the swap.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
Here comes the assumption: try to get a tranny and transfer case from a manual 3.0, as well. Auto guys can probably answer this better than I can, but I assume the transfer cases are identical between auto and manual, but I don't know for sure.
This is one of those questions I've been pondering and I think that they are different but I really don't know for sure.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:18 PM

there is a reason why you cant use the transfer case from the auto but Ill let you SEARCH for that by the way your trans right now is a 340h to be specific. It might aid in you SEARCHING

Last edited by Dan.3; 08-04-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The A340H transfer case will not work with anything but the A340H.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by BAMF_CT2004
there is a reason why you cant use the transfer case from the auto but Ill let you SEARCH for that by the way your trans right now is a 340h to be specific. It might aid in you SEARCHING
Having tried the search function on here myself and getting a huge number of unrelated results, sometimes it's just easier to ask. That is, if people don't feel like being a superior dick about things.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat

The A340H transfer case will not work with anything but the A340H.
That's what I thought. Thanks, Goat.

Looks like you'll need everything from a 2nd gen 4x4.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:16 PM

Yeah I thought that might be the (transfer) case. Can I use a later model manual transmission and an earlier transfer case. I read somewhere that if you go auto the old transfer case from a 340h will work with a few mods. Is this true?

What I want to do is get a 2000-2003 taco drivetrain and plop it in but I'm sorta torn between auto and manual. Mostly because I'd like this transplant to go as painlessly as possible and from what I've read the manual swap is a little easier. I can afford the swap but I don't have weeks to wrench on the damn thing, mostly due to location. I'd like to avoid having to buy a 2nd gen drive train too, but I suppose I could get a late model 3.4 and an older transmission and transfer case.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 PM

I don't think you've picked the best swap to cut your teeth on, as it were. The engine swap isn't tough, but swapping that plus a 5 speed and all the other work...

Let me put it to you another way. My swap took me 11 days of non-stop work. Knowing what I know now, I could do the same swap in under a week. Now, that's not including doing the tranny/transfer case swap like you want to do. I'd just stick with the auto or buy a 5 speed 4Runner and swap into that one.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by RobD
Having tried the search function on here myself and getting a huge number of unrelated results, sometimes it's just easier to ask. That is, if people don't feel like being a superior dick about things.

so.... what are you saying?? and who ever said anything about using the search function on yota? ever hear of besides the answer to your question was already given to you. You didnt even have to search for it period. It was in the Offroadsolutions link that mt_goat posted in the very beginning of the thread. all you had to do is read. Maybe reading is to must to ask from the slower folk. In that case they should probably have a heep. And now for my Napoleon Dynamite quote. GOSH!

Last edited by Dan.3; 08-06-2008 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by BAMF_CT2004
so.... what are you saying?? and who ever said anything about using the search function on yota? ever hear of besides the answer to your question was already given to you. You didnt even have to search for it period. It was in the Offroadsolutions link that mt_goat posted in the very beginning of the thread. all you had to do is read. Maybe reading is to must to ask from the slower folk. In that case they should probably have a heep. And now for my Napoleon Dynamite quote. GOSH!
I'm sorry. Maybe I should be more clear for you slower folk. Repeatedly telling the guy to SEARCH for the answer is a dick move, when a simple "no" would have sufficed. Google "being a dick" if you're uncertain as to what I mean.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM

I've read both the OCR articles and found them helpful but not as help full as the Andrew Zook write up. I think that google would not have provided much in the way of answers.

@ RobD - Thanks for the solid feedback bro. I was a little concerned about exactly the same things. I've been working the strategy out in my head and I am looking at something like this. One weekend before the swap I'd take the already acquired motor (and maybe trans) up to the location where I can perform the swap. Hopefully during that week and/or weeks prior I would be able to assemble a harness adapter and have the cross over pipe built. Then take a week off work, gut the 3.slo and work non-stop for 80+ hours putting in the new power plant. I get the feeling that if I have everything lined up prior to starting I can get the job done in a week. The biggest question mark is whether I can make a tranny transplant at the same time. I agree that this is not the ideal situation to "cut my teeth on" but I know I can do it, it's just a matter of time and $$$. The big issue is how much of either can I part with? Thanks again for the good feedback.

Last edited by syber_kowboy; 08-06-2008 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: What do I need to complete a 3.4 swap?