Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What do i don? Valve covers leak???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do i don? Valve covers leak???

I recently had a new motor put it my truck a rebuild 3 year unlimited mile warranty thing. Well now that i got it back it leaks oil everywhere coming from the valve cover gaskets! And they giving me a run around cause there saying they dont know why they would be leaking its brand new gaskets will just try to tighten them down!!! Still leaks!!!! They now say maybe its the plastic valve covers and kind of sent me on my way with no solution just that hey there going to leak deal with it and never bring it back here!!!! What should i do??? Should i get new covers do they make and aftermarket cover?? Or should i just take it elsewhere and have someone put some new seals in it???? Your help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Matt
Sheboygan Wisconsin
Old 05-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You have a warrenty, take it back and firmly insist that they fix it or they will be talking to your attorney.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:03 PM

Im kind of worried that there going to pull some cheap fix like adding engine additive or something to my new motor to stop the oil leak!!!! This guy really likes to make shortcuts you should see what he tried doing with my knock sensor tried wiring it to the fender wall cause after they put in the motor in they never changed knocksensor wire and truck didnt run! I really think i should just take it somewhere else i really have a problem about getting into a heated argument telling them if they dont fix it i will be talking to my attorney! Its like been rude in a fast food restraunt all your going to do is get them to spit on your cheeseburger if you complain!!! Im wondering if i should get new valve covers and have someone else do it or my other option is to drive it off a cliff cause im so stressed out about this truck ARGH!!!! I thought putting in a new motor would be last of my problems with this rig now it seems like i got more!!!

Stressed!!!!!

Sheboygan Wisconsin
Old 05-23-2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Renzy
.... Your help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Matt
Sheboygan Wisconsin
Take it to the dealer, fix the leak. Sue previous shop in small claim court to recover dealer bill. Simple.

Those valve covers require some knowledge to install, fipig in corners, circular plugs have to be resealed, same with cam seal/plug covers plus pressure relive holes must be not plugged... thats the basics
Old 05-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Drama Queen/Banned

If you paid with a credit card file a dispute with them.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok what was the point of selecting a motor with a warrenty if you are not going to use it. Take it back to them and have it fixed until you are satisfied. period point blank. If you let the get away with not holding up their end of the deal then they will do it over and over. If the motor goes south in a year are you just going to say oh well and buy another one??
Old 05-23-2007, 09:57 PM

If the motor shoots craps, and they want to void the warranty becasue it failed due to improper maintenance, you could be screwed if you don't get it fixed by them or someone else. At least, you can tell him that is your fear, and that someone is going to fix it and it will not cost yourself anything. Tell them they will be paying a dealers bill to fix it if they don't fix it and fix it the right way. Go to Toyota and buy some FIPG and hand it to the guy, and tell him to use that when he bolts it down. It will get it done faster and will encourage proper installation. You might want to bring some brownies, it sounds like this guy is having a rough time dealing with people.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah...brownies...he probably gets a lot of complaints..lol!

This guy sounds like a real con, though. I've run into a few of those myself. People that operate like that, there is no use in throwing pearls. They're all swine.

I bought a used "rebuilt" 3.0 a while back. The guy who sold it to us was supposedly honest and a good mechanic. We told him "no rebuild, no ebay". We wanted a used low mile motor from a salvaged vehicle IF he could get it. If not we'd look elsewhere. Well, he told us he found us one with 18k original miles out of a totalled 4rnr in Michigan. We were stoked! Long and short...after many months of him dick'in us around because the motor had not arrived yet, the motor was finally on it's way. BUT!!!! After some semi-illegal investigation on our part, we discovered that the motor was actually coming was out of New York, rebuilt, and off of EBAY!!!! Grrrr! There was nothing we could do. Our money was gone. No way to get it back from him to get another motor in any appreciable amount of time. Like blood from a turnip. So, we bit the bullet, took the motor, had it installed, and I wound up rebuilding it AGAIN. The guy that actually rebuilt it took SHORT CUTS! But, this time it was done right. So, now we have a decent motor.

What am I trying to say? I'd take the motor back and get a full refund. You're never going to get good service from him with the way does work even with an iron-clad warranty. It will be a constant source of suffering. There are good rebuilt motors out there with good warranties and good service. You may just have to wait a little more. But, that's just what I would do because I've been down that road before.

Last edited by thook; 05-23-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

Is your warranty through the shop or do you have a warranty for the actual motor through the company that you bought it from. If the shop owner is jerking you around, call your warranty company direct and let them know what is going on.