Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What could do this damage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What could do this damage?

I am swapping parts from my old 22re to the new one. Well i was turning the crank and could hear something clanking inside the motor, so i think the bearings maybe good on it.

BUT I pulled the harmonic Balancer/and crank pully only to find this

I changed the timing chain on this motor about 3-4 months ago and installed a speedy sleeve to fix a groove in the harmonic balancer. I am not sure how this could have happened. The damage is not all the way around the surface.

I was tapping on the pully from the bottom but i cannot imagine using a soft plastic shot filled hammer would cause that.

In this picture you will see a bend in the ring on the rear of the harmonic balancer.

This was like this when i installed the balancer 3-4 months ago. and i didnt do that damage.

But I am at a loss to how the damage happened. Even if the balancer was warped and caused the pully to wobble, it shouldn't do that if main bearing in front is firmly holding the crank, unless the bearing is trashed, but i get no wobbling from the crank what so ever.

The only other thing i can think of is something in the oil pump or behind the timing cover fell down and did the damage. I am not going to open up the old motor until i get the 4runner up and going, but i just do not have any idea how this would happen.

Has anyone seen this happen before in a 22RE?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If the crankshaft was out of alignment enough to cause that, I'd think you'd have some serious knocking and damage.

Possibly, the sleeve was bubbled a bit and the seal wore more on that raised surface.....and/or the seal was not set in the pump housing straight. Did you put a light coat of oil on the sleeve and/or dampener and oil seal before you installed it?

Even a rubber mallet can fubar a sleeve. They're very soft. Looks like hammering dents on the front facing of the sleeve, to me.

Last edited by thook; 04-28-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:36 AM

I cant remember how i installed the sleeve, i i think i used a peice of wood and the dead blow hammer to seat it. Everything was well lubed and clean when i put the new seal on.Those rubber front seals do not have much to them, and the space between the seal and the actual pump housing is alot of distance. I wonder if something in the timing cover gave way and fell down, but i am not sure if the speedy sleeve would be open inside the timnig cover area or if it is fully enclsoed in the oil pump.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
But, you did lube the sleeve before you put it on...right?

What do you mean "space" between the seal and pump housing? The outer circumference should meet the housing quite snug and, as well, seat against the backing just flush.

The sleeve AND the seal are seperated from inside of the timing cover by the oil pump drive gear. So, if something did break off and managed to get past that and lodge in the seal, your pump gears would be toast.

Ultimately, you'll just have to see what happened when you have things apart. You did say you heard a clanking. Otherwise, I can only speculate what "could" have happened from knowing how it goes together and operates.

I kinda still think the sleeve was bubbled upon installation. The core of the seal is rather stiff. I'm not sure what the core material is (wound, metal banding...I believe), but it is hard and could rub a groove relatively quick if the sleeve surface isn't smooth.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DanStew
I cant remember how i installed the sleeve, i i think i used a peice of wood and the dead blow hammer to seat it. Everything was well lubed and clean when i put the new seal on.
It's been a while since I installed a speedy sleeve, but it seems like they come with a cup that is used to drive them on with. It looks like maybe you didn't use that cup or something. Anyway, it is kinda hard to tell what did the damage, good luck in your detective work.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:03 AM

I didnt find anything last night when i pulled the timnig cover and such. The sound i heard was just me turnnig the crank counterlcockwise and the tensioner popping, so that was nothing. I am going to chalk up that it just was out of round when i put it on the harmonic balancer. I will pull it off tonight and install a new one. I have used them before , oh well. NAPA has one waiting for me to pick up tonight. Thanks !!