Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What color should I paint my truck? Do you have pics of your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used my hands/palms and a small 5" square rubber palm block to sand. let me add that using an orbital air sander, even a block board sander it's not for everyone. I did more damage than good.
You really have to take your time in doing this stuff. Check some youtube videos etc to learn some techniques. I really liked how some guys used some powder stuff on the body and found the uneven spots when sanding with a block.

BUt...........I really just got desperate at the end ! because it was my only truck. seeing how everything was apart...got me confused, depressed.. So I rushed things...being the reasson it didnt came out good.

Last edited by sinful; 12-05-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:05 PM

i really hope that sanding and polishing later on makes look a little better.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:56 PM

hey i think your paint job turned out alright! no biggie on the dings - it's a truck after all right? You could give the truck a buff job after the paint cures for some time. Prob make it look a lot better...

I always liked this classic paint job.

how difficult do you think it would be? i'm thinking instead of the red orange yellow white i'll do blue green yellow and white since my truck is already blue. It's either that or some classic vinyl stickers.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 PM

what are those rims?

Originally Posted by sinful
aaaah black

Hey - i like those rims! what is the make/model of those?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drmix
Truck has already been painted
Well then...paint it again!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[IMG]
are u kidding? THAT LOOKS GREAT!

for doing it yourself, it looks good from here. and since you're a DIY'er, now you've got incentive to learn paintless dent repair!

that truck looks good again. and if you really do want to remove the dings, you can certainly skim the dings and spray again. it's not bedliner, it's just paint and can be redone as many times as you feel like doing it. you can even do it in sections, one panel at a time if you want to take your time.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by kirkerik
hey i think your paint job turned out alright! no biggie on the dings - it's a truck after all right? You could give the truck a buff job after the paint cures for some time. Prob make it look a lot better...

I always liked this classic paint job.

how difficult do you think it would be? i'm thinking instead of the red orange yellow white i'll do blue green yellow and white since my truck is already blue. It's either that or some classic vinyl stickers.
How difficult it is to paint a truck all over again? It would be easy the second time for many reasons. first I won't make the same mistake of painting it a different color. It's a pain in the butt to take apart the door panels, weather strips, interior, bumper, etc. To give you an idea it took me like 3 days straight to put it back together correctly.

second I would be really careful sanding the body and only attempt to remove the clear coat and shine of the old paint. so if there are any small dings or holes and want to sand them off, don't do it. Instead apply tiny amounts of bondo or plaster then smooth those holes or areas out carefully without digging yourself in a bigger mess.

And third ... just take your time masking and making sure everything is covered so you don't over spray stuff.

That's my advice if you plan on doing something cheap, easy and fun paint job.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx

for doing it yourself, it looks good from here. and since you're a DIY'er, now you've got incentive to learn paintless dent repair!

that truck looks good again. and if you really do want to remove the dings, you can certainly skim the dings and spray again. it's not bedliner, it's just paint and can be redone as many times as you feel like doing it. you can even do it in sections, one panel at a time if you want to take your time.

You are probably right. I guess feeling it was a fail was more because of the amount of time and efford put into. It could have been better had I known how to prep the body. However I'm planning on doing a second paint job on a different car, would see how that goes. And I would deff. practice more on fixing dings and smooth things out
Old 12-06-2011, 06:19 AM

seeing that black truck makes me want to lift my truck. whats that.. like a 4" lift?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx

X2
Old 12-06-2011, 07:46 AM

seeing that black truck makes me want to lift my truck. whats that.. like a 4" lift?

Looks stock to me
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by john4wd
Here's the color I want to do my truck.

THIS You could roll this color on with Rustoleum too and would look really nice. We are just about done doing my brother's Chevy with a similar color. Tough to tell it's not factory paintjob...
Old 12-06-2011, 03:25 PM

How difficult it is to paint a truck all over again?
No i meant how hard would it be to paint THIS PAINT JOB?:

My truck is blue so i'd do blue, green, yellow, white instead of the red orange above. I love the old baja classic colors!

it's either that or maybe some classic stock vinyl stickers...