Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What to check before exposing my 4runner to cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to check before exposing my 4runner to cold weather?

Hi Guys,

So I am currently at a fork in the road about my 4Runner. I am finally at a point where I can be happy about how it drives and its gas mileage, but there is a good chance I am moving north in September, and once winter hits, will be exposing my 4Runner to what most people will consider extremely cold weather (-30 to -40 degree Celsius). I love this 4Runner, but I am concerned it wont be a reliable vehicle in those kind of temperatures. I am hoping to get some input from you guys as to things that should be inspected and/or replaced to get this thing ready for the cold temps. This will help me decide whether to keep it and build it up, or sell it and buy a newer yota.

Thanks for your input
Old 04-22-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've driven my truck in those conditions, no issues whatsoever. Ensure you have a working block heater, I've used a battery blanket when it's -30 or colder, on long trips a weather front and changed my diff/transfer case oils after bringing it up here from Vancouver. Where are you moving too?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 PM

Hey Johhny, I will actually be moving pretty close to you if things go the way I am hoping for. I will be heading up to Dawson Creek to go to NLC.

I am glad to hear you havent had any issues with your truck. I have a list of things I will probably replace before leaving just for my piece of mind (and because some of them are seriously needed). That list includes: a new battery, a bunch of new bushings, brake pads and possibly calipers/rotors, shocks, and a bunch of the steering components. After that, she should be good to go.

If anyone else thinks there might be things to check out, feel free to chime in. Thanks guys.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Change all fluids to synthetics (F/R Diffs, Trnas & TC)
Thinnest oil you can get (0W-30)
Block Heater
Battery Blanket
Best Battery you can buy (Diehard plat. or Oddessey)

Just know that cold weather just makes things work differently. Don't try and force anything that does not want to move. For example, the adjustments on the heater control don't like to move in -30* weather. Windows don't like to go up and down, etc. Let it warm up before you go caveman on things.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine just survived it's second winter in Rexburg, Idaho. The temperature in winter here regularly gets to -25F. Actually got so cold it froze my coolant at 50/50 dilution, but even with a broken piston ring and running 20w-50 non-synthetic oil, it always started up and ran just fine. Mine actually starts and runs BETTER the colder it is. I'd just make sure your coolant is at the proper ratios (50-50 is good, you may consider 60-40 or even higher if it's going to be REALLY cold). I wouldn't recommend a block heater, I've had them, and IMO it's a waste of money, something else to leak, inconvenient to have to plug in, and don't accomplish much. If you want it warm when you get in, do like i did and install a remote start, i LOVE it. These things do great in the cold.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Inferno451
Mine just survived it's second winter in Rexburg, Idaho. The temperature in winter here regularly gets to -25F. Actually got so cold it froze my coolant at 50/50 dilution, but even with a broken piston ring and running 20w-50 non-synthetic oil, it always started up and ran just fine. Mine actually starts and runs BETTER the colder it is. I'd just make sure your coolant is at the proper ratios (50-50 is good, you may consider 60-40 or even higher if it's going to be REALLY cold). I wouldn't recommend a block heater, I've had them, and IMO it's a waste of money, something else to leak, inconvenient to have to plug in, and don't accomplish much. If you want it warm when you get in, do like i did and install a remote start, i LOVE it. These things do great in the cold.
I've driven up here over 30 years and never had a block heater leak. I had the same block heater in my '90 gmc and when i sold it last year, it work flawlessly for 22 years. We hit -40 and colder regularly here every winter, no block heater..no start unless you are using a circulating heater which I would never use again. I have used an oil pan heater but only if my block heater is broke. Inferno, sounds like whatever you are using works for your climate, I'll continue to use what has worked for me BTW I also run synthetic, good point.

Originally Posted by 4runrjunkie
Hey Johhny, I will actually be moving pretty close to you if things go the way I am hoping for. I will be heading up to Dawson Creek to go to NLC.

I am glad to hear you havent had any issues with your truck. I have a list of things I will probably replace before leaving just for my piece of mind (and because some of them are seriously needed). That list includes: a new battery, a bunch of new bushings, brake pads and possibly calipers/rotors, shocks, and a bunch of the steering components. After that, she should be good to go.

If anyone else thinks there might be things to check out, feel free to chime in. Thanks guys.
Dawson is only 40 minute drive from Fort st John, and they have a Toyota dealer! We will definitely have to meet up when you get settled in.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 PM

well, up here in fairbanks alaska where it gets really cold......

unless you are going to make the move in the middle of winter, i would suggest waiting until you get to DC to worry about winterization. once there ask around for a good mechanic and/or nearest TOY dealer and have them do winterization on the vehicle, as they will know what to do and will have done it hundreds of times before, unlike your local guy who only knows the theory of how to do it. if you are a doit yourselfever then you'll obviously save money by doing it now.

block heaters are the norm in the far north. nothing wrong with them at all, assuming they are properly installed. battery blankets are a bit more problematic. they tend to get pretty worn out over time and can result in problems when things start to short out. i've used them in the past, but no longer do. you must go with light synthetic oil 5W or 0W is fine. you can swap to heavier weight once the cold months have passed. also its a very good idea to go with synthetic diff fluid. frankly, with non-synthetic at -40 your rig will suffer greatly from it, you'll actually feel the vehicle struggle to make the gears move, not good—remember there is nothing to heat up your diff. if you have the $ remote starters are a lovely addition. i don't have one, wish i did. when its cold you need to fire up your vehicle and let it warm up, the colder it its the longer you'll want to wait before driving. having to trudge out at -40, set in the rock-hard seats and start the rig is not a great deal of fun. with a remote starters, eh, its a push of a button. 50:50 antifreeze is not adequate for the north. you'll want to run 60:40 for those off days when temps get really cold, -55F, -60F; they are once in a blue moon in most places, but you'll be bluer if you block cracks. you'll need a freeze-proof extension cord, something that is good to those nutty temps, they are usually blue in color, i think some are color coded yellow and green. you should have a tell-tale light on your plugin at the front of your truck so that you know when you plug your vehicle in you are actually getting power to block heater, etc. get the best CCA battery you can afford. when its cold, by fairbanks standards that starts at -30F, treat your rig with tender loving care when driving it—cold is tough on vehicles, but if you warm them up before driving and go slow until everything is really warmed up it helps a great deal.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:48 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Suspension rubber, any rubber that's showing signs of cracking. I'd consider swapping the intake system from rubber and poly to silicone and metal tube. Pretty much anything you don't want to have to do and might at some point in the future is best done while it's still warm

Having winterized up north is a very good idea, they do lots of it like mentioned.

Don't forget your emergency survival gear, thermal blanket, food, and something to melt snow for water (or water if you're down south). Sure it seems like "nervous nelly" stuff but it only takes getting stuck once and you'll be glad you've been carrying it around for years. This stuff goes in all my vehicles ASAP. We've had people die within 5miles of Denver for not having this stuff!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:59 AM

Don't pull apart your dash to change your stereo and don't use your parking brake! Oh and have a bucket of water ready to open your door in the morning
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by StewsRunner
Oh and have a bucket of water ready to open your door in the morning
Been there done that. Not a bad idea to shut the heater off and let the cabin cool off before you park. Snow is a pain in the rump!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 AM

I have the benefit of parking in a heated garage at home, my previous truck was too big with my wife's car and it together.
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Don't forget your emergency survival gear, thermal blanket, food, and something to melt snow for water (or water if you're down south). Sure it seems like "nervous nelly" stuff but it only takes getting stuck once and you'll be glad you've been carrying it around for years. This stuff goes in all my vehicles ASAP. We've had people die within 5miles of Denver for not having this stuff!
It's crazy how many people don't have anything in case you break down, including a winter coat/boots - my son included. I carry my boots, insulated coveralls, tow strap, portable heater and the drybag from my kayak which has provisions to allow you to stay overnight if you have to. Even if you live in a warmer climate it's good to have some emergency stuff.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:35 PM

Thanks guys, greatly appreciated. I already have a survival kit, but I will probably need to a add a couple things to it to be prepared for the cold.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 PM

You're coming up here to NLC for school, must be aircraft maintenance,,,,welding?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:02 PM

Hey JohnnyCanuck, I am indeed up here for aircraft maintenance. Finally getting settled in at the res. Any recommendations for a quality place to get a tune up done and block heater installed? Hows the dealer up here?