YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2006, 06:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

what can cause coolant pressure build up?

Hey guys, new to the site, mostly just browse to get answers but i need some help on this one.

REcently my father in law and I pulled a 3.o out of my 89 pu and put it into a 91 4runner. didnt do any real engine disassembly as we didnt want to get into that much work. Got everything put back in and barring a few minor leaks that can be expected from the swap with a 210000 engine, after about 5 days i got to work and noticed the lower radiator hose was completely off the radiator. naturally, it overheated and i put more coolant in, Could the thermostat be the problem? its and aftermarket radiator so maybe that? any input would be greatly appreciated thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Could be a stuck thermostat or the hose may have just been loose.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via MSN to AH64ID
A normal cooling system operates under pressure. So it would take overheating first to blow a hose off of radiator. My guess is its the wrong hose or wasnt tightned in the swap...
Previous Toyota's '92 Red Truck NALA

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that hurts.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Cooling systems normally operate with 10 or 12 pounds of pressure on them. That's nowhere near enough to blow a hose off unless it was already loose. Also, the radiator cap has a pressure relief feature on it to keep this sort of thing from happening.

Make sure your clamps are tight.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

sometimes a blown headgasket can let the engine pump pressure into the cooling system.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnerx3 View Post
sometimes a blown headgasket can let the engine pump pressure into the cooling system.
Yep, exactly what happened to mine.
95 3.0V6, ARB front bumper, Hella H4 conversion, Hayden Trans cooler, Aisin manual hubs, Drilled headlight bezel, Clinometer, Altimiter, Assorted Camera mounts, JVC double din head unit, Hilux Surf emblems, Bridgestone Revo's, OME 901's , N72f's

"Stay calm, Be brave, Wait for the signs."
Old 11-15-2006, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

ouch, that could have been one of the last things i was looking to hear. i will replace the thermostat and tighten all the clamps and see if that does the trick. if not, looks like i might be taking it somewhere. any way I can tell if the headgasket is blown on my own? didn't know if there were any signs to look for or what to look at. thanks guys
Old 11-15-2006, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914runnerswap View Post
ouch, that could have been one of the last things i was looking to hear. i will replace the thermostat and tighten all the clamps and see if that does the trick. if not, looks like i might be taking it somewhere. any way I can tell if the headgasket is blown on my own? didn't know if there were any signs to look for or what to look at. thanks guys
Look for coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant or coolant out the tail pipe (white smoke)

A compression test may tell you too.
93 4X4 ext-cab, auto, SR5, 3.4 V6, supercharged, 2.1" pulley, URD fuel mods, Aquamist WI, IPT valve body mod, dual cases, 4" superlift front, Alcan springs rear, 33 BFG KM2, ARB locked front & rear, 5.29 US Gears, RB 1" Body Lift, TJM T-17, Warn m8000.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Check the radiator cap also. Make sure it's the right application. Start with the simple things first.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
lee
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to lee
yeah get a new cap as well
Old 11-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Check the radiator overflow/reservoir tank, if you see bubbles while its running you have a blown gasket.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

you're not gunna get enough pressure out of the stock cap to blow off a hose. If the pressure goes up its released (spring mechanism in the cap). You're sure you got the bottom hose back on right, and properly clamped after you swapped the engine over?
Old 11-17-2006, 04:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Did some investigating, and read my haynes troubleshooting. It said the drivebelt being loose could cause the engine to overheat. I looked and the power steering belt was not tight at all, maybe an overlook im not sure. Is that connected to the drivebelt? Figured that could be the cause bc i have never had any problems with the thermostat before now.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914runnerswap View Post
Did some investigating, and read my haynes troubleshooting. It said the drivebelt being loose could cause the engine to overheat. I looked and the power steering belt was not tight at all, maybe an overlook im not sure. Is that connected to the drivebelt? Figured that could be the cause bc i have never had any problems with the thermostat before now.
They must be talking about the drive belt that drives the cooling fan. If you have AC there will be 3 different drive belts.
93 4X4 ext-cab, auto, SR5, 3.4 V6, supercharged, 2.1" pulley, URD fuel mods, Aquamist WI, IPT valve body mod, dual cases, 4" superlift front, Alcan springs rear, 33 BFG KM2, ARB locked front & rear, 5.29 US Gears, RB 1" Body Lift, TJM T-17, Warn m8000.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via MSN to AH64ID
Those are all drive belts... the P/S one, on a 22RE anyways, is the same one as the water pump... not sure on 3.slow. It causes it to overheat since the waterpump isnt working well... But my guess is you overheated from the hose falling off, no coolant= hot motor..
Previous Toyota's '92 Red Truck NALA

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that hurts.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Contributing Member

It's different on the 3VZ, the water pump is not driven off a drive belt, what the fan comes off of does look like a water pump though (some call it a fake water pump), but if you look at from the back side you'll see it just a bearing in a housing. IIRC the timing belt drives the water pump. But if the fanbelt was too loose it could cause the fan to slip on the belt and spin slower, but I think it would make a lot of noise if that was the case.

Last edited by mt_goat; 11-17-2006 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:58 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
59, bad, build, building, builds, coolant, cummins, flow, hose, hot, preshure, pressure, pump, radiator, tank, water