Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welded Frame Section OK???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welded Frame Section OK???

Ok, I bought this 86 runner for $500 not running (typical blown head gasket and warped head) which I have now fixed. I noticed that the front passenger "corner" has been replaced with another section of the frame. It is obviously been stick welded, but in my opinion the welds look good and it has a pretty good stitch pattern.

My plans are to SAS this truck next month and I hope the frame will not be an issue. It looks to me that this section has been welded in for a long time and it has held up so far. I thought about welding a plate to the bottom of the frame below the weld because that part is in tension while the top is in compression and probably does not need reinforcement (in my opinion). Will this suffice? Do I have anything to worry about? I want to build this truck right but do not want a weak section of frame. Also, would this be the location that the rear shackle will attach at the frame? Thanks for all help. Pics below:

Last edited by fordmgt1; 03-24-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
any frame repair like that would be kinda scary to me, but if the welds were done right, and the frame is streight, then I don't see any issues that it should give you

but I would definately think about maybe beafing it up a little, as you sugested

maybe smooth the welds down, and put some 1/8" steel flat stock on it, about 2"-3" wide, over all of the welded areas, and welded in good all the way around each peice, kinda boxing in the original welds

extra strength never did a frame any harm

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-24-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts

that is some serious 'boogerweldz' going on there. is there another just like it on the other side? Seems like it might have been a cracked frame.
I can't weld for squat but I would recommend grinding that crap out and plating it with holes to do rosettes ( think that is what my fab buddy called it)

on an SAS you are going to be drilling the frame for the rear shackle mounts and with what appears to be some frame issues going on there, you are going to further weaken the frame...

what's the story on this cut?

that should probably be filled in, at least the front spring hanger will had some some strength to that front crossmember...

Last edited by dropzone; 03-24-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:08 PM

It looks like they halfway finished the front cross member, and your right about the new spring hanger adding reinforcement. I believe the whole section was replaced, perhaps a bad wreck that bent the frame so they decided to replace it. I know people to weld in new sections due to rust, so I was hoping someone who has done this would chime in. Good point on the rosettes. Would the shackles attach at that weld? I was thinking it would probably be closer to the front of the truck. I know I may have issues if I have to drill right through that weld. I was just hoping to put my mind at ease before I spend a tone of money on this truck and it not be worth it.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks pretty sub par to me.

Especially the front cross member and that nice GAP.

Grind down the welds on the frame on the side and add some fishmouth plates.

The front crossmember should be replaced and fully welded out regardless IMO.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 03-24-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those welds could definitely be worse, I think they'll hold up. Even tack welds are very strong. That being said, you should probably clean it up good and throw some plate over the top, sides, and bottom. Metal can fail both in compression and tension.

I would definitely cover that gap at the bottom, with something more substantial than 1/8" sheet. You can bend that with your hands. Go with 1/4" plate for sure.

Last edited by T-1000; 03-24-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by T-1000
Those welds could definitely be worse, I think they'll hold up. Even tack welds are very strong. That being said, you should probably clean it up good and throw some plate over the top, sides, and bottom. Metal can fail both in compression and tension.

I would definitely cover that gap at the bottom, with something more substantial than 1/8" sheet. You can bend that with your hands. Go with 1/4" plate for sure.
yeah on second thought, ferget that I said 1/8"

1/4" fer sure, lol
Old 03-24-2009, 06:30 PM

I will weld some 1/4 plate on the top and bottom, my concern is that I don't want to put plate where I will have to drill for the SAS. That being said, should I actually have to worry about my frame breaking (bending or cracking) while driving down the highway or if I hit a pothole? Or the only thing to worry about is if I am in in accident and the frame bends easily at that location?

Last edited by fordmgt1; 03-24-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fordmgt1
Or the only thing to worry about is if I am in in accident and the frame bends easily at that location?
you know, car designers specifically design that feature into automobiles now, so that might be a bonus crumple zone!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 PM

True! I just don't want to drive down the highway and the frame break and put me in a ditch
Old 03-24-2009, 06:41 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
yeah on second thought, ferget that I said 1/8"

1/4" fer sure, lol
x4 Fa Sho !

Old 03-24-2009, 07:30 PM

those welds look good compared to mine (just learned how to weld when I started on my truck)...

I had to weld the bumper / radiator support mounting point back on. Took a couple weeks, because we had to cut down and weld steel to the inside, grind it down, measure, and then weld that puppy back on. Wasn't perfect, but it works...

Take a look w/ pics in the thread...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nt-end-167188/

beefing it up would always be good, but stick welds are friggin strong. But better safe than sorry

Last edited by xzyragon; 03-24-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The worst part about that frame weld is that it goes straight across the frame instead of at an angle - that being said, as others have mentioned, smooth down the welds and take a close look to make sure the welds are solid then add diamond shaped reinforcements over the weld - - once that's done I would have no worries about it driving down the highway
Old 03-24-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That poor rusted truck. I feel for you guys who have to deal with rust. We don't have rust out here, just 150 degree ovens when we open the door up in the afternoon!
Old 03-25-2009, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by corax
the welds are solid then add diamond shaped reinforcements over the weld - - once that's done I would have no worries about it driving down the highway
It may be hard since the weld is close to the body mount, I suppose I will cut that part of the diamond and but weld it to the mount.

I just want to make sure its worth it, or if I should sell the truck and buy another
Old 03-25-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by fordmgt1
I will weld some 1/4 plate on the top and bottom, my concern is that I don't want to put plate where I will have to drill for the SAS. That being said, should I actually have to worry about my frame breaking (bending or cracking) while driving down the highway or if I hit a pothole? Or the only thing to worry about is if I am in in accident and the frame bends easily at that location?
I would weld some plate on either side of the frame with plug holes as someone mentioned, before top and bottom. Welding a strip of plate on the bottom will not make it that much stronger. In an event that it was to see that much tension on the frame that strip will just bend with the frame. (EXAMLPLE: think of a peice of flat bar 1/8" X 1", laying flat, easy to bend. Turn it vertically, way harder to bend) Plate steel will be stronger welded vertically on each side of the frame in your case. If the rear shackle would fall near that seam, I would feel safer having the shackle go through the plates and the frame.

EDIT: Im a SAS rookie, but doesnt the rear shackle fall between the body mount?

Last edited by HAI-TEK7; 03-25-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 03-25-2009, 10:30 AM

yes it goes through the body mount bracket that is welded to the frame.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:48 PM

Thanks, I did see that the rear shackle does go between the body mount, which is good for me. It will put some of that load (I assume half) behind the weld unlike what it is now with all the upward force from the tire producing a moment at that weld. I am correct in assuming this, right?