Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Weird intermittent noise from auto tranny area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird intermittent noise from auto tranny area?

Hey guys I have a weird noise coming from under the vehicle sounds like its coming from the tranny cant pin point where. It seemed like it was towards the front of the drain pan.

I bought the truck with 213K blown motor I rebuilt and is running good. Noise is intermittent comes in goes sometimes in gear or park. I was able to get it going in the garage by going in first then park or reverse then park sometimes that would start it others not.

Tranny shifts good through all gears/ jerks into first will cold/ other then that great.

I have not yet dropped pan or flushed tranny fluid.

Any one every head of a noise like this that can point me in the direction of a repair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvn0...ature=youtu.be

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 05-22-2015, 10:55 AM

Any ideas?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:23 PM

never heard that exact noise...however i had a mean buzzing sound coming from front of the tranny...
It was the torque converter failing...ended up throwing a piece of broken something into the the stator pump and ruining that which stopped the entire transmission...

in the process of a rebuild...

hope thats not your issue

good luck...

ps..lmk if have questions on rebuild...im an expert now..haha
Old 06-01-2015, 10:24 PM

btw...mine jerked into 1st when cold as well...
Old 06-02-2015, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the response Devo much appreciated! Heres a little more information

I drained the tranny and then dropped the pan fluid smelled old and didnt see any signs of mechanical failrue inside. Bolted the pan back up and put new fluid in it, it jerks no where near as often into first as it used to.

The sound seams to have disappeared i have heard it slightly once or twice puting the car into park since.

I also have a shake when stopped at a light in gear. I know this could be motor mounts but they are nice and tight. Ive read a T/C could also cause this shake? Were you experiencing this aswell?

Thanks a bunch!
Andrew
Old 06-02-2015, 12:26 PM

Did not experience that shake you described...

And also my issues diminished with a tranny fluid dump and new filter. but always returned a month or so later...

So your pan was clean and the magnets clean as well?...This is a good thing, your steels and clutch plates and hard parts are prob good. However I would investigate your TC more. A swap out of that guy is minor compared with a tranny overhaul... I got mine out in less than a day. They are cheap, got mine for $100...DAACO reman...
could save you from a major problems like mine...
You've got prob 3x's as much fluid in the case and TC than what you are able to drain out, so if you wanna see how it goes Id recommend drain replace a few times to try and dilute the bad fluid enough...That TC has at least a quart in it alone...

Id go that route before dropping a new TC in...and avoid magic potions in the tranny...clean dexron is the way...my good mate is a autotrans guy and hates the magic potions...yelled at me for doing it...but I knew a rebuild was in my future so I just wanted to milk it as long as I could till I had time...

If you wanna drop it out and have any ?'s lmk...the moves are fresh in my mind...