Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Weird 22re behaviors (videos)

Old 08-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Weird 22re behaviors (videos)

I am having what seems to be a fairly common problem around here, I've combed through just about every single "22re missing" thread and I still haven't fixed my problem.

My 22re had a completely random miss at around 2200-3000 RPM, I've done pretty much everything I've found on the threads here.

It is a new long-block with just over 3K miles on it and its seemed to have been doing this since the day I first fired it up.

One thing I found kind of interesting is what my vacuum gauge was reading, can anyone help me out here? Vacuum is ROCK solid at idle but it seems to act a little off upon decel after revving the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6QHQw8epLw

And also my timing marker seems to jump a little bit, like a few degrees in either direction. Here is a video you can see the timing mark jump and also hear the truck missing. This video was taken with the T, E1 diagnostic plugs shorted. (we are also varying the idle a little bit) look closely you can see the timing marker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-m3a-Njdk

Distributor play cause the timing to jump like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhitK62qZ_g

All other stuff that has been done so far, not fixing my problem.
  • All brand new Toyota OEM cap, rotor, spark plug wires, and new NGK BRP5EY plugs correctly gapped
  • All engine grounds are installed and clean (even the coil ground to the fender)
  • All EFI sensors are in good working order (except for the cold start time switch)
    • Miss still occurs with various sensors unplugged
    • O2 sensor is also brand new, DENSO
  • New signal generator (old one tested out of spec, didn't fix the miss)
  • Ignition coil ohm'ed correctly
  • Installed all brand new vacuum lines and quadruple checked for correct installation
  • No vacuum leaks detected by using propane and carb cleaner
  • Valves are adjusted @ .007 .011 cold
  • Disabled EGR and even installed a restriction plate between the EGR pipe and intake plenum
  • Entire EGR system checks out good per the FSM
  • Checked all fuses/links
  • New Toyota air filter
  • Fuel injectors were cleaned/flowed at Witchunter Performance 3K miles ago (all checked out fine, and ohm'ed within spec)
  • New Toyota fuel filter
  • Timing set at 5 BTDC with the diagnostic terminals shorted
  • Distributor air gap is within spec
  • No engine codes
  • Added additional grounds just for the heck of it
  • Running 91 octane, engine seems to ping a little bit even at baseline timing
  • Compression test (cold)
Only bad stuff I found this far is the cold start timer switch and the cold start injector itself tests out of spec.

I don't think there is much else I can do besides a leak down test? But I don't suspect bad valves the engine has 3K on it. Also I have not been able to test the fuel system yet.

The miss seems to clear up the more I retard the timing, and the more I advance it the worse it gets. I also can't seem to get it to miss while the engine is cold.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the same problem before.
all i did its replace and set the tbs