Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weber carbs and vacuum leaks plauge me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 02:23 PM

Location: Springfield, MO (Southern Missouri/ Northern Arkansas)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Weber carbs and vacuum leaks plauge me!

Has anyone experienced the brand new Weber carb leaking air in between the different sections of the housing (the butterfly valve and the air/fuel chambers)? I purchased a new carb and installed it on the truck. It ran great for 3 days and the head gasket blew. (Go figure) and I decided to rebuild the truck instead of repair. So off came the nearly brand new carb. I wrapped it in plastic and then in a clean towel. I stored it for 13 months. I got all engine and trans work done and when I put it back together it ran like s***. I read all the flow charts and diagnostic troubleshooting that Weber could give for free and I had no luck. (no warranty either)
So this is what I found. While it was sitting on my work bench, I was shinning a flash light into the venturi and I noticed the light was shining through the gaskets on the carb. I Knew this had to be a problem. (this design is terrible BTW, because the 5 long screws that hold the carb together are not evenly spaced around the housing. There is on section that could have used two or three screws alone, but one is the factory design) Any suggestions on fixes? I have done the following:
Replaced the gaskets, used a gap filling high temp RTV sealant, and when reassembling I used extra caution to torque all the assembly bolts evenly and in a cross pattern. It still dies while coming to a stop, and it is obviously leaking fuel out between the gaskets still. Its like the housing is warped.